BASS BARN banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
9,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have - had two experiences like that:

1. Big Frank - bailing large, yes, I mean large fluke about 2 years ago down flounder alley while nearly all else were barely picking. Frank was using his special rigs and methods.......we saw the fish being netted.
We were pissed at our own performance !!!

2. Delaware Bay Bob - not a barner, but a guy who's fished Del Bay a lonnnnng time. Fishes a certain area consistently, and was also bailing fluke within 50 yards of me when others were not. I call him Del Bay Bob.
He also scores consistently on Stripers and Blues better than most.

Ok, now I'm not a total loser fisherman.........twice I've connected to a point where it was silly: once on weakfish - bang, bang, bang on my old yellow aluminum tub to the point where I heard guys talking about it on the VHF...........and another where I called in a big Del Bay fisherman to my spot, and he started hitting nice weakies too.........

Then once on Great Bay - hitting the big spring run of bluefish, anchored up, doing the proven method, non stop crazy action. Guy comes up real slow in his boat and politely asks if I might give them a pointer. Me being me, I yelled, absolutely - it's simple, just do this, that, and you'll do it too.
I told him each step, but I guess he didn't have the chum to get it going.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
No ! :D :D :D :D

·
Banned
1,126 Posts
I have done it in both the boat and the beach....

I was driving the beach and squeaked between about 10 guys in seaside/ortley area and threw some clam balls! was there for an hour beginning of a noreaster and put 10 bass on the beach including a 10 and 13lber!

Guys around me didnt catch squat!

also on the chunk one night offshore decided to drift around the fleet and no one caught much but we loaded up as the tuna swam with us all night!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yeah... One morning last August on a Church trip down to a popular DE pier. There were two guys that had the south corner all hemmed up and pulling in spot left and right. Between the eight of us that went, we had like 7 fish for three hours. Same bait, same setup. We just couldn't cast to where those guys were.
About 2 weeks later I was there again, and waited two hours to get the north corner spot. It was nonstop croaker averaging 15" for me while the guys 10ft away were just watching me work. Go figure.

·
Registered
9,166 Posts
we were on an overnighter chunking on the ursulla out of sea isle, the mate at the time Al Cruedelle said to me junior....because i was the youngest of the group, the guy who works his bait the most gets bit the most. Well i proceeded to kick the snot out of the 80 lb class yellowfins, it didnt matter what outfit i grabbed, flat line, the one with 2 ounces, 4 ounces i caught fish on every setup i touched. At one point on of our guys had a live squid out for about an hour he worked that squid, got tired and put the outfit in the rodholder on the fish box, before he made it into the cabin i let that one out too, yeah it made it out to just beyond the lights and whamo i was on again.There were 6 of us on that trip, i put 9 yellow fins in the box by midnight, Al says hey junior how about lettin these other guys fill out the rest of the limit...that night i graduated from junior to slayer and i havent looked back since. I did hand a few off, but some guys dont want one handed to them , i would hook up and they would be like what the ....... again.......are you *^%!#$ kidding me. Any way we ended up limiting out on yellow fins by 2 am then we pulled anchor and drifted for swords and makos, sealing the deal on a 150lb mako around 4 am.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Sometimes its nice when it works the opposite. One day last spring on a piece of sod south of 7 Mile Island I stood there in the middle of a group of 4 or 5 fellows of dubious legal status in the pouring rain, soaked to the bone, bailing 12-14" bluefish on a Hopkins shorty like I was netting them...while the guys 10-50 feet away on either side saw NADDA.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
i remember a day on my own boat a buddy of mine was catching fish after fish after fish and i wasn't catching a thing. we had the same rigs, same bait, but he was killing them and talking s... while i couldn't even get a nibble.

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
last fall, we we're slugging the tog and triggers, another boat close by drift fishing , catching nadda, only two boats on the water (warm october sunday) before we packed it up for the day, i motored over and gave them a tog and two triggers for the table...

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
bgreene said:
Paul - did you fish for fluke last year, and if so, how'd you do ?
We didn't do as good as we hoped.
We never limited out but we had nice trips.
It started Getting better in the deep by late August early September with Fluke up to 9.8 lbs. Then the season closed !:mad:

·
Registered
746 Posts
hey bennet, that was a great day:D . it was a 50 fish day and every fish was keeper size up to 6#:eek: . also let me know when you want the chip to update lcx 111 already did my machine.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
I have been there and done that. I have been on both ends, watching and bailing.:D I think it is funny when I am bailing and frustrating when I am watching someone bail. I am a firm believer sometimes it does not matter what you do it just is not your day or your turn to catch fish.:D It would be nice if everyone caught fish but that does not happen too often.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
All of the time.....for a while I thought I had a sign on the bottom of the boat saying "Go Away".....

·
Registered
64 Posts
5 of us were striper fishing on the same boat , 3 were bailing them, we were all using clam bellies with circle hooks. The other 2 didn't even get a touch. We had 20 fish before the other 2 figured out they didn't have flourocarbon leader. Once they put it on they were bailing them too. I now use flourocarbon on all my flounder rigs, striper rigs.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Drifting eels in LE inlet for Stripers.... Dad's first time out to really target Stripers. My boat and my Dad 5 feet away from me. Every drift I hooked up.... he didn't... same setup, bait, drift... everything ... he even accused me of sabotaging his setup... so we switched. Guess what.... he didn't get a hit. Laughed our a$$es off ... good times and I miss him !!!!;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts