BASS BARN banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have the template used to install a 2001 Ficht 225? I want to setup the bolt pattern on my transom. I was looking for the PDF or plot drawing I could lay on the transom for a 25" shaft

Also, does anyone know where to download the diagnostics software that can be installed on a PC?

·
Registered
15,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the diagnostic software. If you email me your address I will send it to you on a disk. You need a special cable to connect the engine to the computer as well.

I need your email address, thanks

the cable is a standard DB9 with an special adapter on the end correct?

·
Registered
15,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
4,021 Posts
What is the standard, is this for all outboards or just evinrude?
Yes, all outboards (to the best of my knowledge). Every motor that I have tinkered with from 1985+ and 88+ HP had the same bolt pattern, Mercs, Yammies, Evinrudes and Suzukis. I dont know what year the standard started, but I know all the modern motors in the 100-250 HP range are the same. I dont know about the smaller motors or the big 300s or 350s.

·
Registered
248 Posts

·
Registered
15,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, so If I had a Mercury mounted to a boat and want to switch to an evinrude the hole patterns should match up?

I thought I would have to fill the holes in the transom with wood dowels and epoxy, sand and polish first but if they line up its just a matter of pulling the old motor and installing the new one correct?

·
Registered
4,021 Posts
OK, so If I had a Mercury mounted to a boat and want to switch to an evinrude the hole patterns should match up?

I thought I would have to fill the holes in the transom with wood dowels and epoxy, sand and polish first but if they line up its just a matter of pulling the old motor and installing the new one correct?
You got it!

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
The bolt pattern was first used by Johnson and Evinrude for their V4 75hp outboard in 1960. Years later it became the industry standard mounting pattern.

http://www.etecownersgroup.com/tool/view/mb/file?username=barnaclebill&id=637072

Yep, that was back with the old slide in brackets that stayed on the transoms.. They had screw in side bolts to keep the engines locked into the slide in brackets.. I would have said 58', but I remember some of those old Fat Fifty's V4's had screw clamps to hold them on.. 58 and 59's?

I had all kinds of problems keeping the RD 40 horse engines on the 13 Whaler transom. Finally got rid of the pads on the screw clamps and just wrenched(the tits) them thru the gelcoat into the transom..

I had 40hp Johnson climb off the transom one time during a turn and walk around the side of the Whaler and chew hole thru the side of the boat 18" from my back.

·
Registered
15,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had 40hp Johnson climb off the transom one time during a turn and walk around the side of the Whaler and chew hole thru the side of the boat 18" from my back.
WOW, that must have been a sight to see, pretty scary when out on the water I bet?:eek:

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
WOW, that must have been a sight to see, pretty scary when out on the water I bet?:eek:
Well I was 13-14 yrs old at the time and could stand turning a boat faster than the equipment could handle. The prop chewed a hole 3-4" deep about 8-10" in dia right where the Whaler decal was near the transom on the side. It was a manual start engine so the only cables attached to it were the throttle and shift. They broke. Only thing holding it was the old pulley steering cables when the marine police showed up. I was trying to pull the engine back up into the boat. I wouldn't talk to the cop till he helped pull my engine back up into the boat. This was in 1966-67 when they actually cared..

Repairing that hole in the Whaler is when I learned you can't patch a foam boat with polyester resin. It's reacts with the foam and shuts down the hardening process.

That was only a minor incident... I flipped that boat three times... Once in front of the Yacht Club in Stone Harbor just making an easy port turn. It tripped on itself and just rolled over on itself and me. Then two times I had it blow back over on me power hopping waves into the wind..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.