BASS BARN banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Afternoon,
I put the boat in this was weekend for what I thought was going be another smooth season. About 15 min into the ride to the dock my RPMs dropped to 2500-3000. I did not stall out but had to limp to dock.
Lifted the lid and noticed the fuel filter was not looking good. Emptied both fuel filter and sep filter into a glass and noticed an Excessive amount of water.
Did the following as tests
- replaced both fuel filter and sep filter
- ran motor in neutral, let both filters fill up, and dumped gas hoping it would clear up (it did slightly)
- removed fuel line and syphoned about a gallon of gas out (still excessive water)
- blew air into tank and sprayed top with water and soap to see if air was getting in or out (it did not appear to be)
- cursed a lot
- checked fuel line and vent line

I treat my gas every fill with stabil as well as treated it during the winter. This is the first year I did not top off my tank and was sitting on a little over a half. I couldn’t imagine condensation accumulating that much but that’s the only thing I did different in the last 12 years.

I called a reputable mechanic today and he said the only logical explanation would be the gas tank deteriorated and water is getting in.

Looking for any insight or any advise from someone who experienced a similar issue. The boat is a 2008 SeaHunt 220 with a 91gl aluminum tank. D05AD99A-4EF2-4F7D-8EA6-3C0601DACE40_1590520503592.jpg

The first pic (small amount is from fuel filter after first test) - it was probably in filter after winterized

The second pic of darker fuel is from the sep filter after first tear

The third pic is after running about 5 tests. Still a ton of water.

Thank you everyone.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
It could also have been bad gas that you bought. Remember their gas sat all winter. I also am of the camp to keep the tank full. This is really critical if the boat is stored at the shore where there is a lot of humidity and large temperature changes that cause the tank to breath in humid air with every temperature change. In the Florida keys where the temperature is much more constant it is much less of an issue for us to have a non-full tank. I would let that gas settle and siphon all the bad bad off the very bottom until you have all good gas and then let it settle again for a day or two and siphon again. Then fill with high test gas from a car gas station. You don't want to run that crap thru your engine at all.
Good Afternoon,
I put the boat in this was weekend for what I thought was going be another smooth season. About 15 min into the ride to the dock my RPMs dropped to 2500-3000. I did not stall out but had to limp to dock.
Lifted the lid and noticed the fuel filter was not looking good. Emptied both fuel filter and sep filter into a glass and noticed an Excessive amount of water.
Did the following as tests
- replaced both fuel filter and sep filter
- ran motor in neutral, let both filters fill up, and dumped gas hoping it would clear up (it did slightly)
- removed fuel line and syphoned about a gallon of gas out (still excessive water)
- blew air into tank and sprayed top with water and soap to see if air was getting in or out (it did not appear to be)
- cursed a lot
- checked fuel line and vent line

I treat my gas every fill with stabil as well as treated it during the winter. This is the first year I did not top off my tank and was sitting on a little over a half. I couldn’t imagine condensation accumulating that much but that’s the only thing I did different in the last 12 years.

I called a reputable mechanic today and he said the only logical explanation would be the gas tank deteriorated and water is getting in.

Looking for any insight or any advise from someone who experienced a similar issue. The boat is a 2008 SeaHunt 220 with a 91gl aluminum tank. View attachment 441373

The first pic (small amount is from fuel filter after first test) - it was probably in filter after winterized

The second pic of darker fuel is from the sep filter after first tear

The third pic is after running about 5 tests. Still a ton of water.

Thank you everyone.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Doesn't really sound that logical to me. I think 99% of the time gas tanks go bad, the fuel leaks out. They don't usually fill up with water. Is there any chance your cap wasn't properly sealed over the winter. Also, do you smell gas abnormally anywhere? That also usually comes with a bad fuel tank, since fumes now escape somewhere other than the vent. If you can't find an obvious leak, I agree with above to keep changing filters and then fill up with fresh fuel and see what happens.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you. I’m keeping my fingers crossed it’s not the tank itself. I’m going to syphon the majority of it out and follow the suggestions above. Thank you for the tips.

With regards to gas leakage or excessive smell I would say no to both. I had a minimal amount of residue near motor but i chalk that up to grease, residual fogging oil, etc. that typically occurs when I first splash the boat.

The only gas smell that is evident, but not excessive is when I stick my head in hull. But I think There’s always been a slight hint of fuel down there.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Had a similar issue and it ended up being a faulty gasket on the sending unit that would allow water into the tank. Drove
me crazy trying to figure it out

·
Registered
16,082 Posts
Wasthe boat covered over the winter? If not when the last time you replaced the O - ring around the fuel fill cap? Start there if not covered and the rings never been replaced.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@ CaptG-
Yes. Boat was shrink wrapped 2 days after I pulled for the season. Gas cap assembly looked good as well.

·
Registered
13,077 Posts
That is the problem, you left it half full over the winter, it happened to me every season when I emptied the tank of left fuel in there. Now I fill her up with stabil at end of season so there is no room for moisture to form. If your tank is aluminum sometimes a crust forms that clogs the filters too. IF you use the boat at least once a month I do not think you need stabil everytime you fill during the season, only when you winterize her.

Sheet I pulled out about 70 gallons of gas that was bad, it seperated and was lime green from moisture. Never again, not it is full all the time or as soon as possible.

·
Registered
13,077 Posts
You should not smell any gas in the hull area, check your fuel sending unit, the gaskets go bad. Replace it and also use a fuel resistant sealant on both sides of the new gasket. do not overtighten or you can strip the threads unless they put rivnuts in there for you.

Mine went bad and I had the same problem, gas smell in the bilge and hull area and water getting into the tank.

Thank you. I’m keeping my fingers crossed it’s not the tank itself. I’m going to syphon the majority of it out and follow the suggestions above. Thank you for the tips.

With regards to gas leakage or excessive smell I would say no to both. I had a minimal amount of residue near motor but i chalk that up to grease, residual fogging oil, etc. that typically occurs when I first splash the boat.

The only gas smell that is evident, but not excessive is when I stick my head in hull. But I think There’s always been a slight hint of fuel down there.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for tips! Im going to syphon the the 40gl I have in there as first step and go from there. I’ll pull hatch and replace anything i can and keep fingers crossed it’s not the entire tank. Thanks again.

And if condensation is the culprit I deserve the headache for cutting a corner last year...

·
Registered
13,077 Posts
Chances are that fuel separated from the ethanol as well so the gas will have a low octane rating.

Thanks for tips! Im going to syphon the the 40gl I have in there as first step and go from there. I’ll pull hatch and replace anything i can and keep fingers crossed it’s not the entire tank. Thanks again.

And if condensation is the culprit I deserve the headache for cutting a corner last year...

·
Registered
12,653 Posts
2008 boat I would be surprised it its the tank-maybe bad fuel from start or one of other issues mentioned above

The smell of fuel isn't a good sign though

I cant remember last time I was either full or almost empty over the winter. Use stabil and top off when put back in water. This year I ran 3 trips on last years fuel before topping off. No water issues to the point I have to try and remember to look at seperator when
turning on batteries.

·
Registered
9,971 Posts
That's a MAJOR problem. IMO You have water intrusion. You rarely see gas that bad. Pump it ALL out and put in a partial, say 25%, and see what happens.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the tips. I started the process of siphoning out the gas. Got about 40 out of 42gl out (could not get the last bit out). The fuel sender gasket was shot so I replaced that as well. Filled up 10 gallons of wawa fuel as a test and ran the boat for a couple miles. Got her up to 5k RPM and was running much better but the speed started to back off again. I went back to dock and checked filters and the gas was much cleaner but I did have a little bit of water still. I ran out of time so will re-visit again this weekend. I'm hoping that I was cycling through the last bit of water. This boat ran great through the last day of last season. No issues whatsoever. Very frustrating to say the least.

·
Registered
9,971 Posts
Gas is cheap engines are expensive. I change filters all the time and my discards are crystal clear....still I consider them the cheapest insurance one can get. If it were me I'd syphon of the rest and to it again. I would not stop until all discards are at least 98% clean.

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
I never had any water issues in my tanks.... (knock on wood). Looking at the pic of the glass of gas that looks like iced tea was horrific. When I removed my tanks to get cleaned and tested, I had gas sitting for 2 seasons that did not look anywhere near as dark as that. Not sure what tanks you have but it might be worth having the tanks looked at. I had 80 gal Galv steel tanks, took them out and took them to a radiator place for cleaning and testing. but even before that I had no rust on or in them at all. The location my tanks sit in the bilge keep them dry and out of any water. I had some sediment in the tanks that I could not get out so decided to have them professionally cleaned.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts