BASS BARN banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been seeing more and rods, reels, ect, that are exclusive to dicks only, and I'm curious why they would have so many items that are made just for them, by multiple companies?

I've purchased a lot from dicks, because of the great deals to be had and the 20% coupons:D, but I'm wondering what the benefit is for companies to release unique products not available anywhere else?? :confused:

·
Registered
595 Posts
I've been told by people in trades that the brand name products (Skil, John Deere, Makita etc. ) at Lowe's and Home Depot are not the same as sold at other smaller places and often inferior in quality. Maybe Barners can confirm or refute that. Is the quality of the Dick's products the same as the other stores for the same item at a cheaper price? I'm curious too.

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
A store like Dicks has multiple outlets.I don't know how many they have but there's alot.They get manufactures to put out lines which are similar to the lower end products you find elesewhere,but with Dicks exclusive brand name on them.Makes Dicks look like their catering to their specific client base.They can do this due to their purchasing power,with all of the stores they have something as simple as a name change on a product is easy.It also allows the manufacture to have a cash flow production.When Dicks orders something they order for many stores,therefore ordering enough product to cover any difference in the cost of manufacturing.When you really get into it though there are far superior products out there.Of course these top of the line items cost more,but you get more with them.You also may have to look in many places to find what you want,or order it online.I have alot of equipment from Dicks hooks,line,gulp,bombers,sometimes terminal tackle.Most of my purchases are at mom and pop shops.The B&T's have more of the specific things which I use.I hope this helps.

FC

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I've been told by people in trades that the brand name products (Skil, John Deere, Makita etc. ) at Lowe's and Home Depot are not the same as sold at other smaller places and often inferior in quality. Maybe Barners can confirm or refute that. Is the quality of the Dick's products the same as the other stores for the same item at a cheaper price? I'm curious too.
You are correct about the products at Lowes, Home Depot, etc.

Not sure what to say about the exlusive products at Dick's.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I've been told by people in trades that the brand name products (Skil, John Deere, Makita etc. ) at Lowe's and Home Depot are not the same as sold at other smaller places and often inferior in quality.

If that is true then why are the part numbers for John Deere mowers the same for the various models no matter where you buy them?

I don't think companies like Johm Deere would risk their reputations selling inferior products at large retailers with hugh sales volumes.

·
Registered
138 Posts

I think what you may be referring to or referring to is the fact that it may be made company X, but the model # is different, there does not have the same specifications.
But if you buy a product from a company Model # ABC123, it should be the same product (specifications) regardless of where you buy it.
Flat screen TV's are good example Sony makes a dozen different models of 46" LCD anywhere from $999 to $2499, they all different model #'s, and very different specifications (features, pixel counts, HDMI inputs, etc)

Just like your major fishing manufacturers like Shimano, I can buy spinning reel for $29.99 AX100 or $699.00 Stella. Just becuase its from Shimano does not indicate the quality. The same could be said abouttons of manufactures in most products lines.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A store like Dicks has multiple outlets.I don't know how many they have but there's alot.They get manufactures to put out lines which are similar to the lower end products you find elesewhere,but with Dicks exclusive brand name on them.Makes Dicks look like their catering to their specific client base.They can do this due to their purchasing power,with all of the stores they have something as simple as a name change on a product is easy.It also allows the manufacture to have a cash flow production.When Dicks orders something they order for many stores,therefore ordering enough product to cover any difference in the cost of manufacturing.When you really get into it though there are far superior products out there.Of course these top of the line items cost more,but you get more with them.You also may have to look in many places to find what you want,or order it online.I have alot of equipment from Dicks hooks,line,gulp,bombers,sometimes terminal tackle.Most of my purchases are at mom and pop shops.The B&T's have more of the specific things which I use.I hope this helps.

FC

That makes a lot of sense, thanks for the responses... I've noticed unique combos that are dicks specific, and I have a rod or two that is not easily found online via a model # search. I've never been disappointed, fwiw.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I seem to recall a thread about this a couple of years back when Dick's sold a capricorn reel, regularly $129 or something like that for $69. The consensus was that it was a different reel, perhaps in line with another Daiwa model that was lower end. I bought one of the baitcasters and I don't think it's worth anything near $129. It's okay for what I paid for it.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That is what made me finally ask, on the back of the dicks circular there is a sale on the Quantum Escalade, spin or cast, $59.98 and list is $119.99. It would come in just about $50 after the $10 off $50, and I need a new reel for my 7' mh St Croix... all opinions welcome! :D:D

I just sent Quantum an email asking what the skinny is. :cool:

Dicks Specs:

DICK'S Sporting Goods Exclusive. The Quantum® Escalade spinning reel is constructed with a super-thin graphite body, machined aluminum handle, and aluminum side cover for added strength. It features an 11 stainless-steel ball bearing system and ported aluminum, triple-anodized spool with ceramic spool lip.

Features

• 11 stainless-steel ball bearing system
  • Ported aluminum, triple-anodized spool with ceramic spool lip
  • Aluminum side cover for added strength
  • Machined aluminum handle
  • Super-thin graphite body

·
Registered
138 Posts
OK - As you mentioned this is a Dicks exclusive reel, meaning you wont find it BPS or Cabelas. It can be found at Overstock.com and Ebay. So Dicks makes a deal w. Quantum and says make me a reel to these specs. THen Dicks markets it with a huge mark up for its retail price, but sells it for much less, giving the perception of a good deal. This reel sounds alot like the quantum pulse which retails at cabelas for 59.99, but has an extra bearing.
I am NOT saying it is a good reel or bad reel, I dont know. I have seen very similiar things in other industries.

·
Registered
108 Posts
i have the orange capricorn that was mentioned her and it has caught me plenty of fich and never let me done i buy the dicks exclusive stuff and really for the most part have never had a problem like their spinner baits are strike king but since not in strike king package they are two dollars cheaper

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK - As you mentioned this is a Dicks exclusive reel, meaning you wont find it BPS or Cabelas. It can be found at Overstock.com and Ebay. So Dicks makes a deal w. Quantum and says make me a reel to these specs. THen Dicks markets it with a huge mark up for its retail price, but sells it for much less, giving the perception of a good deal. This reel sounds alot like the quantum pulse which retails at cabelas for 59.99, but has an extra bearing.
I am NOT saying it is a good reel or bad reel, I dont know. I have seen very similiar things in other industries.

I did some researching, it appears the escalade is the same as the quantum code, but with a different braking system. Quantum tells me not to expect to find many parts for it aftermarket, which I guess I expected.

I agree about they are trying to present a perception that you're getting a really good deal, but really it's nothing special. I may go test drive it tonight just to check! :cool:

·
Registered
282 Posts
Just my 2 cents...I picked up my first spinning combo at Dicks about 5 years ago. I only used it once in a while each year. Having said that, i used it almost exclusively for the past 2 years and it has held up great. It was a quantum set-up and it has been really nice. It is a light weight set-up (6lbs max for rod and reel)

This past summer I acidentally broke the tip off rushing to get it out of my car too fast...but, with one eye missing, I still find it very effective...casts great and I have landed some 3-4lb bass on it nicely.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.