BASS BARN banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My outboard fuel filter/water separator is mounted on the splashwell wall. I believe this is the safest place for the filter in case I spill a drop or two when changing the filter, I know it's not going to wind up in the bilge. I can place a bucket under it so no fuel winds of the water either.

Today, someone at the marina said that wasn't a good idea. He said that when the filter gets wet from rain or salt spray, the engine might suck up some water past the o-ring on the top of the filter. This doesn't sound possible to me, as if the o-ring was going to pass water, wouldn't it also leak fuel or provide an air leak when the engine tries to pump fuel out of the tank?

I can't believe this guy is right, but I thought I would see what the Barner's think.

·
Registered
14,848 Posts
I agree with you mine is in the same place and i have not had a problem yet.I would think you would at least suck air causing motor problems.

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Captainbob said:
My outboard fuel filter/water separator is mounted on the splashwell wall. I believe this is the safest place for the filter in case I spill a drop or two when changing the filter, I know it's not going to wind up in the bilge. I can place a bucket under it so no fuel winds of the water either.

Today, someone at the marina said that wasn't a good idea. He said that when the filter gets wet from rain or salt spray, the engine might suck up some water past the o-ring on the top of the filter. This doesn't sound possible to me, as if the o-ring was going to pass water, wouldn't it also leak fuel or provide an air leak when the engine tries to pump fuel out of the tank?

I can't believe this guy is right, but I thought I would see what the Barner's think.
Yes it is possible as it is in a suction rather than pressure situation. But then you would be correct that it would be sucking air most likely and you would notice it in engine performance.

Only if the squeeze ball was between the tank and the filter would it ever be in a pressure situation as far as fuel goes.

While worrying anbout fuel in the bilge is a good idea...on outboards it's usually not a huge deal and you are just as likely to have a leak from the tank or other fittings than just from the filter area...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts