BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read a lot, about game fish keying in on the eyes of bait fish. Then I notice many of the flies tied on this site have eyes that just fit the head as tied. I have done this, and increased the head with epoxy to use larger eyes. Makes the fly look disproportionate, which I do not care about if I am gaining any advantage. Any thoughts on this? Thanks,

·
Banned
1,126 Posts
I love BIG EYES flies...... They are awesome and work great.. i used to use HUGE like 1/2" eyes on my offshore darts! it was great!

have not made one in like 8 yrs but worked years ago! lol

·
Registered
931 Posts
I love Big, er, um, yeah eyes too.....

No seriously, enjoy using oversized eyes on patterns for fresh and salt, as long as they dont add excessive weight, ie metal eyes.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ZAR, I am sorry, but I just would not know where to look. It is just something I have seen in comments here and there over time. You know, like a comment on this site, or something in a magazine. I do not have anything specific in an article or reference. I was just looking for some of the thoughts of some of the sage posters in this forum. Continue to watch this and I hope we will both learn something

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
Fellas, think about it, common sense. How many bait fish have eye spots around their tail? Herring, Bunker, Redfish. What else, butterflies, lizards and bugs. That's because almost all preditors key in on the eyes. Putting eye like spots near their tails fakes out the preditor. They hit the baits tail by mistake and gives them a chance to swin, scurry or slink away. Bottom line, I insist on eyes, big eyes, the bigger the better. Gives a fly a horrified look. If you use an adhesive like stick an seal, you can adhere big eyes on and above the axis of the hook without interfering with the gap. Can't block the gap, Go back to the big flies, big Fish post and look at them peepers, both size and position. Still need an article?

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
When I have time I put eyes on all my flies. They just look finished when they have eyes. Some of my best catches have been on flies that have no eyes. I believe the fish see the movement of your fly and they still hit them head first. I think they just key in on the front of the moving fly. Just makes you feel better when eyes are on your fly.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
[quote=CapeMayRay, "Just makes you feel better when eyes are on your fly."

Yes it does:D

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
I agree with Capt. Ray to a degree. When fish are actively feeding or generaly in an agressive state they'll hit anything that moves. I as well have caught many fish on flies with no eyes at all. I do believe however that if fish are "finicky", not actively persuing baitfish, anything the tier can do to make a more realistic presentation will pay dividends. Particularly on larger fish. I for one rarely have the luxury of seeing exactly the fish I'm presenting to. I'm going to do everything I can to make sure that if my fly starts to dance it's way in front of an older, more educated, larger piggy, she'll eat it. It does make me feel better when the "fly" part of that presentation has eyes.

·
Registered
771 Posts

Just got these 1/2in. 3-D eyes. Big eyes and fly rattles make me feel as I have left no stone unturned.

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
Hey Capt john, what adhesive do you use to put your eyes on? I almost exclusevly use the 3 D eyes as well. I wish they came bigger. I used doll eyes on one of my monster flies, they just don't hold up well, and they're hollow and full of air. Consequently, too bouyant. Adhesive wise I stuck on, HAHA, Goop or Locktite Stick an Seal. Just curious what others are using.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I tied a couple of baitfish patterns that were about 6-7 inches, with shredded mylar, and carefully placed a dab of 5 min epoxy where the eye was going, and a little more on the eye then gently pressed it on, and let it cure. Appears to be fine, I don't think it will come off, unless the mylar gets ripped. I gotta get the knack to working with that stuff

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
I just got away from working with epoxy. Always found it too stinky,too messy,too rigid and it's really not good for you. It works, but I prefer the alternatives. I spent quite a few years working with very exotic epoxies even some that were ceramic based. Guess I got turned off to the stuff.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Flyguy784 said:
Hey Capt john, what adhesive do you use to put your eyes on? I almost exclusevly use the 3 D eyes as well. I wish they came bigger. I used doll eyes on one of my monster flies, they just don't hold up well, and they're hollow and full of air. Consequently, too bouyant. Adhesive wise I stuck on, HAHA, Goop or Locktite Stick an Seal. Just curious what others are using.
I just recently started using loctite super glue gel and I believe I learned it from you.So far its been holding good.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I definitely like eyes on the flies I tie. I tend to keep my eyes in proportion to the size of fly. I'm more inclined to use the 1/2 inch 3-D eyes on a 10 inch fly rather than a 6 inch fly.

If I'm building an epoxy head around the eyes, I'll use a larger eye to help get a round or bullet shaped head.

·
Registered
483 Posts
CapeMayRay said:
When I have time I put eyes on all my flies. They just look finished when they have eyes. Some of my best catches have been on flies that have no eyes. I believe the fish see the movement of your fly and they still hit them head first. I think they just key in on the front of the moving fly. Just makes you feel better when eyes are on your fly.
Ray, you are my hero!! I am sad to disagree with you on this one.

The 3D eyes only cost a penny each and will stay on the fly with a drop of super glue, or Zap-a-Gap.

I have had much better results with the big eyes on my streamers.

When I go fishing with you this year, I'll give you a whole bad of plastic eyes and a tube of Zap!!

·
Registered
4,852 Posts

That's a good lookin fly! Hey, I said it before and I'll say it again. I don't use Zap a Gap, or locktite gel. I use Lock Tite "Stick n Seal". I only repeat it because I'm so pleased with the product. It doesn't get brittle, it's a great consistancy and a tube will last a year. I use a toothpick to apply a small glob to the back of the eye and press it on, turn the fly over, repeat and you're done. You have a little time to adjust position and the glue will dry in about 20 minutes. I get it at Home Depot. Once you try this stuff I'll bet you'll feel the same.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
That is a nice fly! Going to head out to the Depot, and get some of that stick and seal. The epoxy works fine, but this looks like a time saving product, and probably cleaner.

John, you said it does not get brittle, does it have an application for coating knots? I know, I know, UV knotsense.:D

This does answer one question for me that I asked on another thread. If you can put a propeller on the front, I am not going to be too worried about a 20lb duo snap.;)

·
Registered
771 Posts
Oh, Stick and seal:) I"ll try that next. Big eyes change the action of a fly too.That bunker fly with 1/2 3-D eyes drops nose first like a stone.On a slow retrieve it looks great and runs true.When stripped fast it turns on its side.May be that the 2/0 hook does not have enough keel,or the eyes are deflecting water.Don't know which but those eyes do add extra flash.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts