BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
13,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a morning of work, I went fishing. Grabbed some eels from Blvd Bait & Tackle, and hit the back. Tried a few spots, didn’t really see much bait, but I connected on my 3rd spot. I watched the tip of the 7’ Fenwick twitch a bit, knowing the eel saw something it didn’t like to see. Then boom, line came tight and the drag was screaming. I knew better than to touch the drag, so I just waited until the bass slowed down. Made some heading getting it to the boat, but then it started taking off and so I just waited for the fish to tire out. Got it in the net, which as all should know by now is a miracle. I knew it had some size but I thought it was a little bigger by the fight. Chalk up my first keeper bass, at 30” maybe 31” 6F9521D5-86EE-4305-860F-F82DD43CED5A.jpg
CFA44056-DB35-4DB5-9036-A54DCF8C402C.jpg

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Good for you.

Reactions: Retainer

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Nice Catch, I never had luck with eels in the back usually clam bellies or bunker chunks
Nice looking fish

·
Registered
13,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Nice Catch, I never had luck with eels in the back usually clam bellies or bunker chunks
Nice looking fish
Clams don’t really work in the back, at least where I am fishing. I’ve tried bunker chunks and that really doesn’t work for me, as it requires anchoring up. I like to hunt for the bass. Spot works really well, but unless you catch your own and keep them in a pen, they are expensive, like 2-3$ each, and It’s one fish caught per spot. Since I’m catching primarily short bass, I like using eels because the eel usually survives several fish, plus the small eels put off a scent that really attracts the bass. I try to get small to medium size eels. This hit on a smaller eel.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
You’re right about the. Spot being expensive I used to net peanuts but they wouldn’t last to long & snappers were good when u could get them

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Bigger bass that have spent the summer in waters behind Corsons are hungry and on the move with dropping water temp....I know of 6 over 28 up to32" that have been caught this week on surface poppers early and eels later..I saw the 32" and you could tell it has been in area all summer a sit was very dark..When you start to see them with lice attach you will know you are seeing the migrating bass . Live Spot usually are best bait BUT at $4 a pop and with little bluefish around who love to take bites out of them it can get expensive..Surface plugs along the sod banks early and evening will get you a consistent bite.. Once sun gets up go deeper with eels or my favorite has always been in daylight trolling a bucktail with large rubber worm...Next 4 weeks should be best of the year with the residents leaving and south bound migration

·
Registered
495 Posts
Your right Willie, I usually get a stud mixed in with the usual 22"-26" this time of year. Absolutely nothing better than a 10-15lb bass crushing a popper in the shallows, they fight super hard. Be careful when they death roll I loose a lot of nice fish when they just thrash and don't take off on a run in the skinny water. Its a tactic these bigger fish like to use! Anybody else notice this?

·
Registered
13,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Today was a special day. Bucktail Willie on board and 11 eels. We had 20 bass from 23” to 31”. All fish tagged and released except one 29” that I kept. The bass were hungry and the bait plentiful.

·
Registered
13,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I did some paint prep work at the house, then hit the water late around 3 today. Managed 8 or 9 bass, one was 32”. All released. Tomorrow is a wash so I’ll paint.
Work early Monday for awhile then I’ll head out late again.

·
Registered
13,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Took a friend and his girl out late this afternoon. We managed around 10 bass, one was 34”. Most fish were keeper size with some 25” fish mixed in. The 34” went back as we already had a limit.
to the scumbag thief who stole my eels, may your boat sink.

·
Registered
13,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Weather was great Tuesday so I had another friend out on the Retainer for some late afternoon bass hunting. Things started slow, but I managed to find some bass so as not to disappoint. I ended up tagging and releasing a 22” and 25” bass, caught maybe 1-2 other shorts while John picked up a 29” and a slot for his bonus tag. Overall we had about 7-8 fish, with only the one over 28”.
I won’t be out til next week now so go out and catch some back bay bass! Remember to use circle hooks but be sure to carry a hook extractor, as the bass are awful hungry and I have had the bass inhale the eel despite the circle hook. This seems to be limited to the bigger bass but I am still releasing most if not all the bass I catch. Safe releases needed for healthy fish!

1 - 20 of 61 Posts