BASS BARN banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Where have you been?
My boat needed a complete outboard rebuild, so I was out of the water for all of the fall 2019 and spring 2020. I was frustrated about it, so I backed off of bassbarn and other fishing sites for a bit. Spent most of my recent fishing trips on my buddy's boat doing runs to the wrecks for tog, sea bass and we've been doing very well when the weather cooperates. I've been doing my striper fishing at night at the bridges, and have been catching a lot of 16" - 25" bass on pink zooms. Haven't caught a keeper striper since 2018. Glad to see you have the SS Retainer back in action and slaying them on the eel bite. I only tried eels once this year and got the skunk! haha

Attachments

·
Registered
13,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I took a fishing lunch today and managed 2 slot bass. Water temp dropped a lot since last week, down to 54. I think it will bounce back up to 60 or so by Sunday.

·
Registered
13,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Took most of the day off to take advantage of the weather. My wife joined me today and caught her first Striper, a slot. When the fish took off near the boat she was like, oh, sh!!. She proceeded to catch a few more, one during our lunch-quick grab the rod!! I had a nice 33” that went back, then the last fish of the day was caught by my better half, a nice 30” that fought pretty good. All counted, I think we had about 6-7 today.
Water warmed up a bit to 55 in the back.

·
Registered
24 Posts
After a morning of work, I went fishing. Grabbed some eels from Blvd Bait & Tackle, and hit the back. Tried a few spots, didn’t really see much bait, but I connected on my 3rd spot. I watched the tip of the 7’ Fenwick twitch a bit, knowing the eel saw something it didn’t like to see. Then boom, line came tight and the drag was screaming. I knew better than to touch the drag, so I just waited until the bass slowed down. Made some heading getting it to the boat, but then it started taking off and so I just waited for the fish to tire out. Got it in the net, which as all should know by now is a miracle. I knew it had some size but I thought it was a little bigger by the fight. Chalk up my first keeper bass, at 30” maybe 31” View attachment 444569
View attachment 444571
Nice fish congrats keep at it,

·
Registered
13,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
Today I took family guy out for some bass. It was tough finding the bait on the last of the incoming. After trying a few spots, we found the bait and some fish. Chris had a nice first fish, a 29” that went in the box. After that it was a bit crazy and at one point we were both hooked up with nice bass. We ended up with around 10, I tagged 4 and about half the fish were keeper size. We just kept the one fish. We had a great day, nice weather. Water is warming up a bit, up to 56 today.
Another good day for eels from Blvd Bait & Tackle. Thanks Cam!

·
Registered
31,148 Posts
Lots of bigger fish around this year. I don't target bigger fish, I don't like to eat them, but they're hitting the small stuff because of the sand eels. Friday we got 4 over 40 inches, today we got three 43-46 inches. And a lot of smaller fish

·
Registered
13,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I worked a half day then had my friend and his girl out for few hours. Nothing for the incoming tide then it all came together once the tide turned. I hooked up first to a nice 32” bass that went back. Then girlie had a 30” which she kept. Buddy hooked into a nice 31” bass that went back too. Had one other keeper size that went back plus a few slots and a couple lost. Found bait on way back to dock and buddy had a nice fish that came undone about halfway into the fight. The sun went down fast.
Work early tomorrow until the high tide, I’ll have about 3 hours of daylight. Then it’s over for a few days lol.

·
Registered
13,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Tough out there this morning. Moon tide was still coming in after 8 am . Saw little bait, figured it would concentrate once tide shifted out. Well once that happened, it was like the dam broke. Tide was ripping. But I managed 1 bass at 27”. My friend caught nothing unfortunately.
So here we are looking at more weather and another blow til at least Wednesday.
Thanks to Blvd Bait for the eels.
Until next time.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Fished Beesley's Point area for the first time, looking for Stripers. When you've never fished an area before, you follow boats and try to stay out of their way, which I think I did. Looked to be some fish on one of the river bends up there, but they didn't seem too willing to bite. With some tide left, I ran down the ICW towards the Corson's Inlet area and wouldn't you know it got 2 Bass on 2 drifts - 30" and 25" both using Spot. Called it a day after those 2 drifts. Maybe a new batch of fish moved into that area, they sure were some healthy looking Bass.

·
Registered
13,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
We had a few slot bass today, nothing crazy but the bite kicked into high gear on the outgoing tide. Water temps went from 49 to 51 on outgoing. Once I found the bait, we salvaged what was otherwise a no bite incoming tide. I think we managed about 6 from 22” to 27.5”. It was a quick 45 minutes.

·
Registered
13,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Thanks for the report. Not great news for me, I can only fish the incoming tomorrow.
I’m sure there are bass to be caught on the incoming tide. I don’t know where you are fishing. But if you were one of the many boats to see me out there then you should fish somewhere else on the incoming cause I couldn’t find any fish and I searched over 2 hours.

·
Registered
13,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
And at this point with all the local tackle shops spilling the beans, it’s no wonder that there is no bite with 25 boats fishing 100 yards square and half of them frigging trolling. If you are reading this, and fish near me, goto the ocean and troll, you are spooking the bait and the bass and consequently killing the bite. But hey, tackle shops have to sell bait AND Stretch 25s. But don’t care about spot burning.
I sent a nasty spot burn email to one Ocean City tackle shop. They can keep their business on the island, unbelievable.

·
Registered
13,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Who did you tell? :D
Those who fish on my boat swear an oath of secrecy. Trouble is some go on radio shows and the location gets broadcast. One guy in the marina next to me told all of his dockMates about trolling and now that problem exists. Plus at least 2 tackle shops are telling all their customers.
It’s is an absolute mess now. There are people fishing in Four Winns and pontoon boats!

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Had the pleasure of fishing yesterday afternoon with a young man home on break from the Naval Academy. We only managed one Bass, but I’m glad Thomas here caught it.

F6D36F4F-0B03-47E1-B947-C2C11A6B635C.jpeg

·
Registered
15 Posts
I got out this morning and caught one nice fish at 33 inches. Drifted eels. I only saw one other boat fishing in my area. Also grabbed some blood worms and caught a few white perch.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts