BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys. Thinking about picking up a back bay boat for areas in back of Cape May and Wildwood Please let me know your favorite back bay boats and why. Ed Dougherty

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
I love my 17' Sea Pro. SV1700 w/ F100 Yami 4 stk. Light...runs real shallow and can be poled in less than a foot of water wit my big azz and gear. Easy to tow around. You can sit on the gunnel and it dosnt move. Very Stable. What are you looking to spend? New, used?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
used 5-10 thousand

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
If thats the area you intend to fish then you can't beat a Carolina Skiff. Not fancy but you can't hurt them. If the world ended tomorrow the only thing left would be cock roaches and Carolinas.

For the back you can't beat a flat bottom boat. Drag them across spit if you had to. You can find them in many variations from open to center consoles and T tops.

Take a look around and it's what the crabbers and clammers use in the back. Great for shallow water and they don't kill you at the register.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Check the barn sale. A guy has a 17' Mckee for sale. I have the same boat and it is awesome in the back bays. It is very stable, drafts next to nothing and there's all kinds of room. Excellent fishing boat.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
there's a great deal to consider....

buy the power first...be patient in your search...find a boat that is a few years old that wasn't used much and maintained properly.

Is this boat for fishing?
How many people typically in the boat?
Any tubing, sking, etc...?
Do you want to take it into the bay?
Are you trailering or docking?

Each variable brings into account different boats and reasons...I know that I sound like one of those old salts on the Barn (not such a bad thing!) but if you like to plan your purchase, there is great deal to consider. I have owned a few boats and I liked each one for different reasons and uses.

Here are a few to get you started:

Carolina Skiff or Jones Brothers Bateau (better)
Paker 18 CC
Mako 17 (used/older vintage)
McKeeCraft 17

Don't discount a good aluminum if you are trailering and want it for other uses!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Chunkings right on about the Carolina Skiffs. Just make sure they throw in a good rain suit when you buy it cause you're gonna get very wet!!

·
Registered
8,208 Posts
Had a Mckee, very good boat. Never had a Carolina Skiff but they look very heavy. Have a grady now, can be a little big for the back. My next boat will be a parker.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Have Grady 25. This would be cheap second boat. 25 to big for back.

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
There are a ton out there. For 10 you can get a nicely outfitted Carolina Skiff or Bay Boat of any brand. They are out there. Nitro has Bay Boats for under 10Gs brand new and they are well built.

They dont offer the 17'. This is a little more around 11ish.

Carolina 16' DLX Under 10 with a good motor....

Sea Pro 15' prob around 10Gs.

Mckee Craft

Kenner

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
****1988 boat motor and trailer. everything in decent shape.motor rebiult in 2002.center console. good bay boat. needs nothing. 3800.00 or b/o
boat in west berlin. no pictures.email at [email protected] for more info.family getting bigger need bigger boat.

*****FOR SALE 1974 17' mckee craft center console 2 year old bimini encloser,three sided. 1988 110 hp evinrude v-4. power trim and tilt.two batteries shoreline,galv. tilt trailer and powerwinch.55 gallon gas tank. bench seat with storage box.no electronics. email [email protected] for pictures with and without encloser. boat is in williamstown nj. it is winterized. ready to go.used all season up till the middle of nov. runs good. $3250.00

If you really wanted to take the plung...WOW

2000 Sea Pro SV2300CC w/1999 200hp Yamaha SWS
Purchased NEW in fall, 2000 - exactly 4 yrs. old

This is truly a great boat for a variety of inshore applications. It is remarkably stable, dry and fast. The layout is completely open, with raised casting decks fore and aft, dual livewells, and nothing to take away from fishing room. Drafts only 12" and does a fantastic job up on the flats and in shallow creeks, etc. I'm sorry to have to sell her...need to be in a different model next year for business reasons.

Some specifics:
LOA: 24 feet
Beam: 8 1/2 feet
Speed: 48 mph
T-Top w/electronics box, rocket launchers
Garmin GPSMap182
ICOM VHF
Leaning Post w/rocket launchers
fish box w/overboard drain
dual livewells
85 gallon gas tank

Boat and motor are truly in great condition.
Currently up on blocks in Wildwood. Turnkey, and ready to splash for the beginning of striper season!
Asking $19,500
Call (877) NJ-Angler

·
Registered
779 Posts
I have a 17' trophy CC for sale. See the For Sale forum. Has higher sides than all the other 17 footers I've seen so its not bad in the ocean either. Hull draft only 13" and 27" with motor full down. I have a place in wildwood and fish the back bay every weekend. I have also had it to the "rips" and even to the Cape May reef without any problems or concerns.

·
Registered
15,362 Posts
I love the nitros! I may be in the market for a small boat by the summer! Dying to get one...May run backwater trips if I get one..in the month of September...poppin bass...God I want one! :(

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
I think if you only want to stay in the back and only go out front on the best of days. Anything will do. Whatever catches your eye and pocket book.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Taking into consideration the ability to fish fresh and salt you can't beat aluminum. Have been dreaming about a fiberglass boat but the more years I fish in my aluminum the more I like it. Easy to launch easy to maintain and is versatile, only drawback is going out front.

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
I have a 20'Twin-Vee catamaran hull with a 130 Honda,this is a extremely dry boat,even a 3' chop does not affect the ride.Boat is a center console with 8'beam,incredible amount of deck space,can even run out front if you feel the need.

·
Registered
189 Posts
All of these boats are great for the back waters. I have a 17.5 Xpress with a 40 horse Mercury Jet. I like the jet because I only need 2 inches of water to run, and I like the aluminum because I am not as scared around rock and piling.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Well I would of said a Triton 240 or 220 LTS versions but Your next post killed it about price. When I get my new boat I WILL be getting a Triton 240 LTS with t top and loaded to the gills. But for your purposes I like something with a V in it. I am not a fan of the flat bottom skiffs as they will give you hematuria ;) . I have been on them in Florida in a bay and the bays get choppy and that to me means pain. On flat calm days anything is fine but how many days are there like that and not just how many days are there like that but are you off of work on those days and if you are, are you able to go out and fish or do you have to do honey do's that we all love. So for me to be able to get out when ever I can is important to me except for real crappy days as I will be content to just stay at home. But I would look at a sea pro 19-23 used in fairly good condition with little hours. Good luck

Brian

1 - 20 of 49 Posts