BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is your favorite: Brand (chemical sharpened hooks?), Weight, Color, Bait Added, and whre do you purchase yours?

Mine is the Owner 3/8 oz. in plain grey color with a motor oil B2 squid tipped witha piece of squid or spearing. I get them at Finatics in O.C. ;)

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
I like Kalins as well. And the Owners are quality.

both those jigheads have great hooks - which is what seperates them from ordinary jig heads.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I like the shrimp style jigheads in various sizes/weights from offshore angler. They are small but well weighted for some of the channels with a heavier current. In most of the water behind ocean city they hold perfectly and the fluke love em. I have found that on some days red outproduces other colors in some of the shallower water spots. I fish 'em with a 4" twisty tail in diffrent colors but in general, white tails work the best.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I used to use 1/4oz Gami's around sod banks and 1/2oz Gami's around bridges. I have had the 1/4oz Gami's bend on me several times, so now I use Kalin's for anything less than 1/2oz. Even the very light Kalin jig heads have a pretty beefy hook.
I usually fish Bass Assasins (paddle and curly tails) and FinS around sod banks and zooms at bridges.

·
Registered
477 Posts
That's actually what I use for bass. For flounder I'll use the same jig heads with pink FinS.

I've found that many places carry Kalin jig heads(i.e. Dicks & most tackle shops). Gibson's in Sea Isle consistently has had the Gami jig heads made by Carolina Lures.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I like shad darts 3/8 or 1/2oz. Color either red head white body or dark green head with a chartruse body. I'll put a minnow on and sometimes minnow with a strip of squid marinated in shedder oil. Works well for me.

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
Andrus, white, every size.

Most times flounder are on the bottom looking up. Take a close look at the baitfish they may feed on. All have that white silvery belly and dark top. The dark top gives them camo for predators looking down like gulls and surface swimming fish. The white belly section gives camo from predators below looking up.

I figure that flounder will key on white or light colored targets out of instinct. If they are on the bottom looking up at a minnow, mullet or peanut bunker they will see white.

I have other colored jigs but the one I go to every trip is the white tipped with a minnow or strip bait like herring.

I don't even know if flounder see colors. Most animals see the world in light or dark shades. Good eyesight to pick up movement seems more important than seeing color in the wild.

I have made note of this in the past. Had mackerel strips for bait in the back. Started drifting right around dawn when it was real low light. Took a white bucktail and tipped it with the lightest strip of mackerel I had. Made what I called a perfect drift and nothing. Tried again and still nothing. I could have sworn that the spot I was fishing had lots of flounder. Decided to try again only this time I used a darker strip of mackerel. BINGO. started hitting the flounder. When the sun came up they stopped. Switched over to light strips and the flounder were back on.

Most fish can lighten or darken their colors according to conditions. At low light they will be the darkest. Lots of sunlight and they go bright. I figured the flounder were looking for things that were darker in color and the light strip didn't trigger the strike impulse.

My catches improved when I stopped thinking colors and concentrated on shades. Air and water are two totally different worlds. Thr rules change the minute we drop our lines in.

·
Banned
2,143 Posts
I enjoy using a floating green jig head tipped with a fat minnow.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Got a different story - While fishing in Ludlams Bay several years ago I caught what felt like a boot coming up. When i got it to the top it was a dead 19 inch fluke with the meat half off the body. Strangest part is my hook had hooked it in the mouth.(?) While taking if off my hook, I noticed a small shad dart type of jig in its mouth. It was very light and I found out later it was called a 'tin jig'. I threw it in the back of the boat and several weeks later I had my small grandson out with me and looked for something to put on his small 'Snoopy' rod. I put this jig on with a minnow and let him cast it over. Before I had my rod rigged and baited, he had caught 3 fluke. I forget how many he caught that day, but it was more than I caught. I did some research and found it was called a Tin Jig and was available from Hand's Bait and Tackle. I have also bought them at the fishing store in Sea Isle City. I have used them for the last several years and they have outfished anything else I use. Because they are tin and not lead, they are a large size but not heavy. I use the 1/8 and 1/4 oz. size. Just put a killie on them and cast them about 10 to 15 out from the boat while drifting. My theory is they float along several feet off the bottom with the minnow providing some action. They pass through the fluke's strike zone as he is lying on the bottom. Many fishermen will claim your bait must actually be on the bottom but I can attest that this is not true. Near the bottom is true as the fluke's field of view is a reversed piramid. As I said this is a strange way to find a new lure but at the current time they are my favorite jig for the flukeasurus.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Andrus, Andrus, Andrus, and sometimes Andrus. Any color, as long as it's white.
The size depends on the conditions.
I love the owner/Kalin hooks, but the fish love the andrus. And so do I.

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
There is a place on the causeway in SIC a few hundred feet from Rt9. My wife's rod & reel repair shop,Bill's got some hand tied fluke bucktails you should check out.

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
Yea yea,
you guys keep using that light stuff. Big scary ugly baits that scare you will get you no fish until that big one.

Small bucktails can catch small fish all day long. 30-50 throwbacks per day even

So I use both

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
JUST BOUGHT KALINS TONIGHT MET CSS & TSS AT SMC IN BTTOWN - 2 PACK 3/8 OZ - 2 PACK 1/2 OZ.

WANTED MORE - SUPPLY NEEDED RE-STOCKING.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts