BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I usually fish the bay when the fluke season first opens up and still trying to find that right lure/rig. Been using bucktails as of late.

What are you guys using for early season fluke in the bay?

Any info appreciated.

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
A little south from you I would go with a bucktail and teaser rig while using 2 1/2" cut strips of herring or mackeral on both hooks. Maybe throw a 3 or 4" gulp shrimp on the teaser instead.

This is for summer flounder not the winter variety

·
Registered
62,423 Posts
I second a bucktail (white or chartreuse) with a strip of mackeral on it. Trim off most of the meat so that it can "flutter".

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
1 oz lead head, sometimes a bucktail. Then a gulp swimming minnow cast it out and bounce it back. Or a bucktail with a strip of squid.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
buctail with either a teaser up high or you can try the modified teaser rig
with a snelled hook 15" from the top dropper loop where you would attach the bucktail..longer strip bait on bottom and small piece of squid on bucktail,or gulp chartruese curl tail..works very well
i can make up either for you if you don't want tto do it yourself..

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
The best about the lead head and gulp is you catch so many other things than fluke with it.
Blues
Weaks
NE Kings
Little sea bass around bridge pillings.
Bass.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Bucktail + Gulp = your best friend in the bay.

I prefer the chartreuse 4-inch swimmers, personally. I've tried all of the Gulp baits and nothing seems to beat them. With summer flounder rigs, I keep it as simple as humanly possible. My bucktail is usually either chartreuse as well, or white with some light-colored accents. Last season my best bucktail was a white with some blue lines in it - absolutely killed 'em. It was a rig I got years ago but never used - and haven't found since!

·
Registered
6,297 Posts
Anything with gulp on it and youll catch fish, I usually fish with either a bucktail/jig head and plain hook teaser and keep it moving. Any of the gulps in the 3-7" size work good:thumbsup: I would also give a top & bottom rig a try deadsticked while your jigging your other rod;)

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys. My arsenal is ready to go!

What are they feeding on in the bay so early in the season? Shrimp? small crab? small spearing? Try to match the hatch as they say.

·
Registered
6,122 Posts
Bucktailing BB...can be tough when the eel grass gets stirred up but you can rig some plastics weedless with a bucktail, I think its the most productive way to catch fluke...I use 3/8- 2 oz bucktails in the bay with Fresh strips or gulp. My Dad likes Killies and Strips & a 2 Oz weight, While he sometimes does better than me in numbers, I usually am able to catch more Legal size fish. especially with Bucktails in the 1 -2 oz range and Nice weakies aren't a bad bycatch too. The Advantage to a Bucktail is it attracts fish throughout the water column...I've had Fluke chase the bucktail almost to the surface at the boat and plenty of blues caught on the retrieve to check the bait .

Live 2 Fish
<><
Forced 2 work

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.