BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the flounder season comming up fast, I wanted to see what everyone likes to use for bait. Whats you favorite spring time bait/lure for backbay flounder? I like a 1 ounce bucktail wth a squid strip.

·
Banned
1,062 Posts
I like a fishfinder rig with just enough weight to hold bottom, like 1 oz.....small strips of mackerel....also the bucktail either green or white with a piece of mackerel, keep it simple in spring, no beads or spinners or any other gismo..one hook and one bait.......

·
Registered
8,504 Posts
Fluke fishing does not need to be complicated. Forget about the fancy spinners, beads, colored sinkers etc. In my opinion, since most fluke in Sea Isle City?s back bay are caught in 10-15 foot of water then all of this unnecessary tackle will be spotted by a fluke and considered unnatural. All you really need is a sharp hook, a 1.0-2.0 will do it. If you want to get a little fancy then try a fluke hook. Fluorocarbon leader material in the 20lb class can increase results due to its low visibility under water. The last piece of tackle, the sinker is the most important. The key is to use the lightest sinker possible to hold bottom while drifting. The larger fluke will not eat your bait if it feels a heavy sinker on your line. In Sea Isle?s back bay, a 1-2 ounce sinker will be all you will need. The days when the wind is blowing the same way as the current and you are able to hold bottom with a 1-ounce sinker are the best fluke fishing days. Be patient on days like this because it will only be a matter of time before a flattie is on your line.
Next, bait selection. I normally start with a killie and a piece of fresh strip bait. The strip bait could be a 6? piece of fluke belly, sea robin, sand shark or bluefish. It is worth noting that any fish, which has size restrictions, cannot be used for bait. Procut is also a good choice. Another bait, which will work in the early season, is a strip of mackerel. If the killie is not producing then switch over to a spearing. If all else fails then try a bucktail, tipped with a strip of fresh cut bait and a killie.

·
Registered
7,297 Posts
Originally posted by Esox1:
Fluke fishing does not need to be complicated. Forget about the fancy spinners, beads, colored sinkers etc. In my opinion, since most fluke in Sea Isle City?s back bay are caught in 10-15 foot of water then all of this unnecessary tackle will be spotted by a fluke and considered unnatural. All you really need is a sharp hook, a 1.0-2.0 will do it. If you want to get a little fancy then try a fluke hook. Fluorocarbon leader material in the 20lb class can increase results due to its low visibility under water. The last piece of tackle, the sinker is the most important. The key is to use the lightest sinker possible to hold bottom while drifting. The larger fluke will not eat your bait if it feels a heavy sinker on your line. In Sea Isle?s back bay, a 1-2 ounce sinker will be all you will need. The days when the wind is blowing the same way as the current and you are able to hold bottom with a 1-ounce sinker are the best fluke fishing days. Be patient on days like this because it will only be a matter of time before a flattie is on your line.
Next, bait selection. I normally start with a killie and a piece of fresh strip bait. The strip bait could be a 6? piece of fluke belly, sea robin, sand shark or bluefish. It is worth noting that any fish, which has size restrictions, cannot be used for bait. Procut is also a good choice. Another bait, which will work in the early season, is a strip of mackerel. If the killie is not producing then switch over to a spearing. If all else fails then try a bucktail, tipped with a strip of fresh cut bait and a killie.
Nice post...Very informative!!

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
bucktail with a fresh strip bait. Either squid that I cut up myself or fresh meat. On top of that a small teaser with a single spearing. Hook-ups turn out to be about 50/50 bucktail to teaser.

Tied up a bunch of new fluke rigs to experiment with this year as well.

RyanF

·
Banned
964 Posts
They seem to like my 3 flavor combo.
Fresh strip of bluefish, long strip of squid, and a nice wriggling minnow.

LETHAL.

In the back? 2 minnows on a bare hook does the trick.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
I have to say bluefish strip on a bucktail or regular fluke rig. Also didn't do bad last year with the gulp penny shrimp on a 2'0 hook, no beads or anything else, gonna try the penny shrimp on a bucktail this year for starters.

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
mackeral,bluefish ,herring,squid strips on a bucktail with a high hook minnow - and gonna try the bacon

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
I agree with the two minnows on one hook, especially when you can only find tiny killies. Sometimes a couple small minners on a bare hook are the only way to go.

RyanF

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
For backbays I start with a 1/0 kahle style gold hook, snelled on 3 feet of 20 lb leader material..then I tie a 3/8 or 1/2 oz white bucktail on the other end. Then I tie a dropper loop about 6-7 inches from the bucktail. This I attach to a small spro snap and my running line...on the gold hook I put a minnow...on the bucktail I'll put a small strip of herring, or mackeral...Ive had better luck with the herring..fish seem to like the flash...this rig seems to help with the weeds too, they get hung up on the snap and not the hooks..works for me..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.