BASS BARN banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What type of bait rigs do you guys like best? I use mostly hi-low dropper loop rigs W/ eagle claw hooks. (only US made hooks). I have found that they are the most versitile when blues and stripers are in the water. I am sure you guys out there with alot of years exp. over me know better though. any input would help. I tie all of my own rigs and I think I am ready to switch to all flourocarbon for next season.

·
Registered
25,494 Posts
Rigz,

Let me be the 1st to "Welcome" you to the Barn. Hope you enjoy your stay here.

In regard to rig types, there are many styles & types for different scenarios & species. What kind of fish you fishing for & what kind of bait???

Once you clear this up, you will get many many answers to your questions.

Tom

[ 01-15-2004, 08:11 PM: Message edited by: mako6950 ]

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
Thats what I started out with soaking bloods. Top and bottom will catch anything that swims. I dont think Flouro is necessary in all situations.

Welcome to the Barn. Good Luck.

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
Welcome aboard, inshore flounder fishing--small bucktails, float rigs-all floro. flounder in the ocean--bigger bucktails and float rigs, off the beach flounder, dipsy and float rig------striper-bait fishing- 1 1/2 oz egg sinker on 5ft floro. leader with Laser circle hooks, same for drum,--weakfish(if you lucky enough to find them)float rig or bucktail with twist tail, green, pink--that's enough for now, don't want to spoil ya, fishpole ;)

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I fish almost exclusively in the back bays and in drag channel mostly for stripers in the early spring , blues in late spuing( they're fun) and perch / seabass in the summer in drag channel. Then back to striper in drag and off 9th st. in the fall. I've had decent luck w/ what I use. Yeah, I agree fluoro not needed for perch and blues.

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
Welcome to the Barn jRIGZguy.

I was a top and bottom fisherman for most of my life. That stopped when we were given size and catch limits.

Quality took precident over quantity.

It was then that I switched to a white bucktail and never looked back.

My release rate is incredible since it is so easy to get a flounder without gut hooking it. The size of my keepers has improved and it is much more fun working a bucktail.

I see so many boats out there doing little more than dragging the bottom with their terminal tackle. If they cover enough water with long drifts then they are bound to catch something.

By working productive areas with a bucktail you can improve the quality of your fish.

On a few occasions when the fish are real picky I will switch to a single hook rig. A 4/0 gold plated hook and minnow can be deadly when the bite is off.

When I fish for flounder I expect to catch flounder because I never shut the motor down. It's a little noisy but doesn't seem to bother the flounder. It will however keep the stripers and weakies away. Still catch blues with it running but nothing is perfect. :D

For striper fising it's either an assortment of surface plugs or a 7/0 gama hook with clam.

For weakies it's trolling rattletraps in any color.

Tried Flouro a few times but found no need for it. I use Stren mono right off a bulk spool because it's limp and the lightest I can get away with.

If it ever came down to picking one thing to fish the back bays with it would be the bucktail. Most versitle weapon in my tackle bag. Jig, cast or troll it's the best.

·
Registered
13,030 Posts
jRIGZguy,
Welcome to TBB. I use a top secret weapon, it is a real winner. I am not allowed to tell anyone what it is. However, I can tell you you can get them from Jim at James Tackle. He is an advertiser here at TBB. HAPPY DAYS.

Ding

·
Registered
604 Posts
BUCKTAIL, BUCKTAIL, BUCKTAIL for the back mostly fluke but you never know who will pick it up. I consider it to be most effective lure in my box. For fluke outside i like a rig cosisting of a 3 way swivel a long 2-4' flouro leader and adequate weight to hold bottom usually b/wn 3-12 ozs. if i need anymore to hold bottom chances are i's not fishing. just my $.02 :cool:

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Guys, thanx for all the input. I appreciate it. I have a couple bucktails that I tried last Nov. out on the porgy over the shoals. I didn't have a good day out there, but capt. Paul nailed 3 on bucktails White on white in dirty water. I want to try using alot more artificial this year than I did last year, I need to develop on my technique. As far as weakies go, not so hot, only a couple keepers. I am chompin at the bit to get out there. C'mon Spring!!! Thanks again all!

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
Plain jighead with sharp hook(Gammi, Owner etc.)with chartreuse curly tail grub.(white 2nd & motor oil B2 squids and PINKIES) Head sizes depend on current but I like 3/8 and 1/2 oz best for most backbay situations. Also like to tip with a tiny strip of squid, mackeral, spearing or sheddar to get their attention. ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts