BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)


March 12, 2008


Feds closing N.J. tautog fishery

By KIRK MOORE
TOMS RIVER BUREAU
No blackfish for you, New Jersey.
The Shore's tautog fishery will be closed by the federal government on April 1, culminating a year-long dispute between state regulators and fisheries biologists who say New Jersey anglers catch too many tog.
"New Jersey failed to implement measures that would reduce New Jersey's tautog landings by 25.6 percent to address scientific concerns that the species is overfished," wrote James W. Balsiger, acting assistant administrator for fisheries at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, in a letter Tuesday to Gov. Corzine.
NOAA's fisheries service is imposing a moratorium on fishing for tautog until New Jersey comes up with a plan for bringing its rules into compliance with the management plan of the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Service, Balsiger wrote.
"We fully intend to come into compliance. We're going to work with the (state Marine Fisheries) council to avoid a moratorium," said Darlene Yuhas, a spokeswoman for the state Department of Environmental Protection.
The council has maintained that New Jersey's tog landings have already declined over the years. New Jersey officials made that argument to the Atlantic states commission last August but could not persuade the interstate group to budge from its position.
In turn, "the council was exercising its only prerogative" by refusing to conform to the ASMFC demand for cutbacks, said Thomas P. Fote, legislative chairman for the Jersey Coast Anglers Association. "They were saying, "We've been stripped of our authority and flexibility.' "
But at this point, "we really have little choice," Fote added. "We can't shut down the fishery. It's too important."
It won't be hard to pull together 2008 rules to meet the target of a nearly 26 percent reduction because state Division of Fish and Wildlife biologists "have already done the math on that," Fote said. "All they would need to do is have a council meeting real quick."
"The next step is in the hands of the council," said Maggie Mooney-Seus, a spokeswoman at NOAA's Northeast Fisheries Science Center in Gloucester, Mass. The agency acted during a 30-day period after the Atlantic states board declared New Jersey out of compliance, and the state has 60 days to respond with new fishing rules.
Also known as blackfish, tautog are found around beachfront jetties, offshore wrecks and other areas where hard bottom, rocks and other structure support food for the fish.
"Slow growth and reproduction and a tendency to congregate around wrecks and rock piles make tautog particularly susceptible to overfishing," according to ASMFC documents. "The 2005 stock assessment of tautog and external peer review concluded that total biomass and recruitment for tautog remain at very low levels."
When regulators blamed recreational anglers last year, that set off a fierce debate in the fishing community, with some activists contending the real problem is illegal sales to live-fish city markets in New York and Philadelphia.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Thinking just about giving up fishing for now no weak
no flounder that size and now no blackfish and no
horseshoe what else o can't buy gas.............
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Groggy,

It is rare that I harvest what I catch.

BUT....

THIS ISN'T ABOUT ME.

Between the togging charter boats,bait shops,
this is taking the food out of alot of childrens mouths.
Aswell as providing more Tog for the poachers. :mad:


A hard working individual that drives 100 miles to get here, to fish all day,fueling our economy, and then drives 100 miles to get back home, should have something to show for the effort if he or she so desires.(The same reason I thought the slot bass was such a great idea)

This is getting absolutely ridiculous. :rolleyes:

I feel that, if the FEDs have the power to shut down a fishery than they should have the power and the will to put a fedral tag on every tog that ends up in every tank from PHL to NYC. Stating: Where it came from, when it was harvested, and who harvested it. I see no such effort.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
62,417 Posts
insomniac said:
................
I feel that, if the FEDs have the power to shut down a fishery than they should have the power and the will to put a fedral tag on every tog that ends up in every tank from PHL to NYC. Stating: Where it came from, when it was harvested, and who harvested it. I see no such effort.
One costs money, the other does not, and they don't see what's in it for them.

(what is in it for them?)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
JoeyZac said:
(what is in it for them?)
Simple.

The Black Market for Tautog is a Tax Free Industry.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
576 Posts
:( I wrote in last night on the "tackle box" for info on where to buy a fish hook extractor because my son and I said we weren't going to keep any fish this season of any kind. Just my grandson(7 years old) if they were big enough and in season. Seem like we beat the clock but where will it stop? Maybe it's time to beat the drum!!:rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,930 Posts
Where is the madness gonna stop!! Pretty soon there going to put Skate and Dog Fish on the No Catch list :eek: :eek: :eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
223 Posts
young~gunz said:
Where is the madness gonna stop!! Pretty soon there going to put Skate and Dog Fish on the No Catch list :eek: :eek: :eek:

Eric, they are on the no catch list;) ................when your are fishing with me:p :p :p hahahahahaha
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,393 Posts
They will come into compliance with adjusted regs to suit the reduction. We'll be blackfishing, but not under the regs we're accustomed to. They were trying to make a point that NJ stocks are not in trouble near as much as other states, and were upset about the coastwide reduction stipulation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
TheAdamBomb said:
They will come into compliance with adjusted regs to suit the reduction. We'll be blackfishing, but not under the regs we're accustomed to. They were trying to make a point that NJ stocks are not in trouble near as much as other states, and were upset about the coastwide reduction stipulation.
Good to know. Thanks Adam.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
574 Posts
insomniac said:
Groggy,

It is rare that I harvest what I catch.

BUT....

THIS ISN'T ABOUT ME.

Between the togging charter boats,bait shops,
this is taking the food out of alot of childrens mouths.
Aswell as providing more Tog for the poachers. :mad:


A hard working individual that drives 100 miles to get here, to fish all day,fueling our economy, and then drives 100 miles to get back home, should have something to show for the effort if he or she so desires.(The same reason I thought the slot bass was such a great idea)

This is getting absolutely ridiculous. :rolleyes:

I feel that, if the FEDs have the power to shut down a fishery than they should have the power and the will to put a fedral tag on every tog that ends up in every tank from PHL to NYC. Stating: Where it came from, when it was harvested, and who harvested it. I see no such effort.
So, can I fish for them even if I throw them back?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Groggy said:
So, can I fish for them even if I throw them back?
If they ever were to close it down , Who knows.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,158 Posts
This sucks. Catching a spring tog was one of my goals this year. Guess I'll have to adjust and settle for a fall tog :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Even Steven said:
This sucks. Catching a spring tog was one of my goals this year. Guess I'll have to adjust and settle for a fall tog :confused:
.


Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAdamBomb
They will come into compliance with adjusted regs to suit the reduction. We'll be blackfishing, but not under the regs we're accustomed to. They were trying to make a point that NJ stocks are not in trouble near as much as other states, and were upset about the coastwide reduction stipulation.


Looks like will have a season Steve, but with a change in the regs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,419 Posts
How come Corzine's admin can't get anything right? I know the guy is busy tyring to make me pay $100 round trip to fish some of my spots with his toll hike plan, but really doesn't anyone else in the admin work?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
62,417 Posts
Even Steven said:
This sucks. Catching a spring tog was one of my goals this year. Guess I'll have to adjust and settle for a fall tog :confused:
You can catch it, you just can't keep it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,515 Posts
JoeyZac said:
You can catch it, you just can't keep it.
I agree. Tog are just like fluke, everyone has trouble releasing legal fish until they have filled out the regs. Seeing more and more people release both species though and its awesome. I love to kill fish just as much as the next guy, I am not a purist spouting catch and release on everybody, but I cant stand the "its a keeper attitude." My folks are just like that, I go out fishing all night and they ask "How was it? Any keepers?"

I am also not sold on the feeding the family attitude. Its nice to bring fish home to the family and enjoy a nice dinner, but its far from a free meal and its far more expensive than picking up a meal at the grocery store. I question anyone who says they fish to feed their family, without acknowleding that feeding their family is just an added bonus.

RyanF
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top