BASS BARN banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
im about to pull the trigger on a Shimano TLC70HBBL

anyone know this rod? suggest it for deeper black fish, sea bass, tilefish and assorted jigging - I plan on fishing this rod with 8-32oz of lead - yes 2lbs. I need to make sure it'll handle it easy enough

putting a new Avet JX 6.0 on the rod. Want to make sure I buy the right one the first time.

Alot of what I've ready is to use anywhere from a 7-8 foot rod. This model does come in an 8 foot but I'm not sure I need to go that long. But I could be wrong! Which is why I'm posting this. What I'd really like to get is a Reel Seat... but I'm trying to stay married so I want to keep it under or right at $200 is possible.

Thanks guys appreciate any feedback.

·
Registered
8,254 Posts
not sure about the shimano..

I have 2 deep drop rods they are 8'
sitting here new for 200 one acid wrapped one conventional
they have been a popular model for the weights you are using.

customs would be a little more

·
Registered
560 Posts

A lot of what I've ready is to use anywhere from a 7-8 foot rod. This model does come in an 8 foot but I'm not sure I need to go that long. But I could be wrong! Which is why I'm posting this. What I'd really like to get is a Reel Seat... but I'm trying to stay married so I want to keep it under or right at $200 is possible.

If you're fishing on a smaller private boat you don't need that length - I fish a 5'4" jigging rod on small boats for tile. If you're fishing a party boat like the Atlantic Star or Voyager you'll want the longer rod to keep the line away from the hull... but I know people who fish the shorter jigging rods on party boats too.

If you like the rod use it...

·
Registered
8,254 Posts
sent a message.

we are located just off of rt95 past airport
or exit 1 or 3 of the blue route

we have 8' aswesome
and shorter if you decide to go that way:thumbsup:

·
Registered
691 Posts

anyone know this rod? suggest it for deeper black fish, sea bass, tilefish and assorted jigging - I plan on fishing this rod with 8-32oz of lead - yes 2lbs. I need to make sure it'll handle it easy enough

putting a new Avet JX 6.0 on the rod. Want to make sure I buy the right one the first time.

Alot of what I've ready is to use anywhere from a 7-8 foot rod. This model does come in an 8 foot but I'm not sure I need to go that long. But I could be wrong! Which is why I'm posting this. What I'd really like to get is a Reel Seat... but I'm trying to stay married so I want to keep it under or right at $200 is possible.

In that style rod I suggest the Okuma Cedros model CJ-C-661H and it is about $30 less and a viable option. Know the feedback and word on the street is the Cedros is the rod for the money.

Also - if you plan to tilefish with 2-3lbs with a single speed Avet 6.0 that will not be fun. My suggestion in the same price range is a 2 speed Fin Nor Lethal 30. Which holds 600yds of 60lb backing. This setup will also kill a 100lb tuna on the jig too.

I have a couple of shallow tilefish spots (350-450) with fish in the 15lb max range and I use a heavy Terez with a Marquesa 40 2 speed in low gear with 2-3lbs depending on current and can haul up double headers all day. Fun workout.

I could use it in 600'+ but - ugh - that is a workout on a big tile. So there is compromise no matter what.

·
Registered
21,273 Posts

you may want to rethink the Avet JX 6.0 if you plan on deep dropping with 2 or 3 lbs. I use the Avet LX 4.6 and a custom handle and really like it. 6.0 gearing is not ideal for deep drop

·
Registered
12,615 Posts
you may want to rethink the Avet JX 6.0 if you plan on deep dropping with 2 or 3 lbs. I use the Avet LX 4.6 and a custom handle and really like it. 6.0 gearing is not ideal for deep drop
I agree 6 to 1 is a little high, I like the 5 to 1 for tiles 500 to 1000 feet. 6 to 1 is good for tog to crank them out of the wreck.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I got to the Saltwater Expo last weekend and paired a Fin-Nor LTL20II (lever drag 2-speed) with a Black Hole Challenger Bank 731H...I plan to spool it with 60 lb. braid and use this primarily for deep drop.

This is my 1st venture into the 2-speed lever drag world, maybe it can handle a small suicide Tuna or Swordfish:huh:

I was looking for a back up to my Torium 30 with 50lb. braid that is paired with a 7ft. XH St. Croix Musky Rod, but it may become my primary set up.

3 day test run starts the weekend of May 15th out of Montauk, Tile and bottom fishing:fighting:

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Few things about deep dropping you might want to keep in mind guys, down in FLA Yankee Capts and I believe the Voyager are recommending (someone told me mandating #55 test PE and recommend Daiwa Boat Braid in #55) I heard this from Brian on the boat and Jamie who was just down there fishing.

I personally prefer a longer rod, I fish a Lami 8'6" and I believe Paul cut three inches off but in this case I fished a JM 300g custom - also from JPR Rods

The rod is a beast I've landed big Goldens and our mate battled a Big Eye to color for 1.5 hours last season before She threw the jig.

Here are the shots

At the time I was fishing a two speed Accurate 665, I still have that an also bought a Shimano Ocean Jigger 4000P at 4.1:1 it is considered the premier deep drop reel out of Japan. You can get them from Digi taka at great prices

1 - 16 of 16 Posts