BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
13,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As someone who fishes the rips nearly everyday in the spring and fall, I've learned that boat handling plays a big part in catching lots of fish. All too often, I have seen some super hot bites shut down because of someone racing overhead of the fish.

When you're in the rips, it pays big dividends to go slow! If you watch the boats that fish the rips on a regular bais, you'll notice that their is a definite "method to their madness." Remember, the water in the rips is shallow! That's the whole principle of a shoal...it is an abrupt change in bottom contour where the water depth is considerbally shallower than the surrounding area. The surface rips you see are caused by the strong currents sweeping around the point and upwelling off these structures. In shallow water like that, noise from boat engines is amplified many times! Additionally, listen to what your engines sound like out of the water, and multiply that when they're in the water(as sound travels much faster through water than air). Rule #1: Go slow.

Once you're going slow, the next step is picking where to move. I have seen hot bites slow down because of an unknowing angler inadvertently moving across an area of the rip where fish are biting. Observe the area of the rip where fish are being caught, move up, and around the area of the bite. I always say not to move right through a group of boats working a rip. If you see boats catching fish and moving in a pattern up and around the rip, go with the flow and move in the same manner that they are. This is a big point when it comes to catching them in the rips!

Finally, when you're on your way in. I have seen lots of guys running their boats with a lack of concern for the enjoyment of other fishermen. On the way in, if you see boats fishing a rip, give them a wide berth or slow down before crossing the rip in their vicinity.

Spring is right around the corner! Before you know it, we'll be out there casting bucktails and yelling "Fish on!" When you're in the Cape May rips, keep these tactics in mind. Not only will you increase your own productivity, but you'll also feel the love of your fellow fishermen in the rips!

As always, great fishing to everyone!

[ 02-06-2004, 02:49 PM: Message edited by: TheAdamBomb ]

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Adam, Good info, if you could just get everyone to adhere to these rules. Lack of courtesy and just plain ignorance always seem to come into play in the rips by a chosen few....13

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
Capt.Adam,Great advice.the more people that take this tactic and use it,can count on catching more fish,and helping fellow anglers keep catching on a good bite :D ,Thank you for you post,I hate it when i loose that loving feeling, ;) Vinny

[ 02-06-2004, 03:42 PM: Message edited by: VDAWG ]

·
Banned
964 Posts
Yeah, it never ceases to amaze me. So many times I've seen one vessel get 3 or 4 hookups on a rip, and suddenly 2 or 3 boats come charging up at WOT, only to get nothing... You'd think folks would realize the Kamikazee Rip Tactics don't work.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I've been lookin for that love for 10years in
the rips.I hate to say each year it gets worse.
I only fish there when I have to.I'm a baybum
now.

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
Good job Adam, I've seen you out there, it's unbelieveable sometimes, when even some of the regulars are out there and see you hooked up the hit the throttles with one hand and the radio with the other and scream right up on you, it's crazy. Then I've seen a man and a women who I didn't recoginize(probably not regs.) see me catch a fish and didn't do anything until I made a move around the spot I caught the fish and they did exactly the same. They had more sense than some of the Regs..Like you said, "slow down" and make a wide circle of where you caught a fish and go back and get more. Slow down and catch fish, it's funnnnnnn
;) :D

·
Registered
15,362 Posts
Originally posted by fishpole5:
Good job Adam, I've seen you out there, it's unbelieveable sometimes, when even some of the regulars are out there and see you hooked up the hit the throttles with one hand and the radio with the other and scream right up on you, it's crazy. Then I've seen a man and a women who I didn't recoginize(probably not regs.) see me catch a fish and didn't do anything until I made a move around the spot I caught the fish and they did exactly the same. They had more sense than some of the Regs..Like you said, "slow down" and make a wide circle of where you caught a fish and go back and get more. Slow down and catch fish, it's funnnnnnn
;) :D
Fishpole5,

I think that these guy's understand what your trying to saying about going around in a circle..But they might still need to learn how to slow down! :D

Took this photo in the RIPS the last time I was out....An all to common photo opp.! ;)

[ 02-13-2004, 04:41 PM: Message edited by: striper2278 ]

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Adam,
I hope that the guys that roar up the edge or through the rip where the fish are read the post. I wonder what happened to the guy on the waverunner who was fishing the top of the hill last fall.

[ 02-14-2004, 12:08 AM: Message edited by: Capt Steve ]

·
Registered
13,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hye guys! I thought this would be a good post with the upcoming spring striper season. Hopefully, lots of people read it and get a feel for running the rips, and catching more fish!

I hope to see all of you guys out there soon!

Watch out for the rowboats!

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Good topic Adam,I hate when some newbies or Aholes run over to ya at full throttle because they see ya hook up.I know sometimes it's exciting to see other boats close by to catch a nice bass, but it's better fishing for everybody when we all SLOW DOWN a little.

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Adam Here, here. Ron

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
Striper2278---I've seen those guys out there, they almost ran me over, problem was, they had so many fish in the boat she was going down, and for the other guys(fast ones) we got even with them, we just kept throwing our beer bottles over and they were pocking hole in the boats ;) ;) :D

·
Registered
15,362 Posts
Gotta bump this one as well! If you are new to fishing the Cape May Rips or aren't new...please read over this one...It will help out everyone!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Good Info A-bomb....

I thought other boats doing power slids off the the bow of AB3 to beat us to hump and the subsquent volitile reaction of the captain was part of my the Rips/Striped Bass experience......LOL

As the TV commerical states:

"The Rips.....are terrible thing to waste":D

Adam check your email.....

1 - 20 of 60 Posts