BASS BARN banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone... Just got the word that we are officially upgrading the Whaler to a Regulator 23FS center console. It's been a while since I've looked into purchasing electronics so I was hoping someone would be able to update me on some current trends and share any recent experiences. At this point, we are only looking to get a standard VFH radio, a fishfinder, and a GPS. We will likely be doing primarily inshore fishing with the occasional run to the blue water.

Wondering mostly about brands as well as split-screen monitor vs. two separate units.

Thanks,
blynch

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
If it was me Id go with the new simrad or lowerance, with structure scan, it also has the hookup for radar if ya need it in the future? Make the sure screen is big enough. If you plan on running multiple windows at once get a bigger screen.

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
Simrad is my first choice..

Im adding it to my 23cc.. This is what I'm doing

NSE12
BSM1
Sonic Hub
WX Module
GS15 Antenna
4g Radar
RC42 Compass
Structure Scan with Ducer
B-164 down imaging transducer..

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Simrad is my first choice..

Im adding it to my 23cc.. This is what I'm doing

NSE12
BSM1
Sonic Hub
WX Module
GS15 Antenna
4g Radar
RC42 Compass
Structure Scan with Ducer
B-164 down imaging transducer..
Nice, nice, thats quite a setup. Quick question, how do you plan on using both the b-164 transducer and the the broadband one? Does this show you two different screens on the NSE unit? What are the benefits of each?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Lowrance HDS

The Lowrance HDS units are great systems at a reasonable price and are very expandable. I bought an HDS8 GPS/Sonar combo a couple of seasons ago then added the radar and structure scan sonar over a couple of years. This year I’m adding the sonic hub and Sirius weather units to the system. All the units are designed to be plug & play into either a NMEA network or Ethernet. I did see a used HDS8 in the “Barn Sale” at a very fair price.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
regulators are great boats, congrats! if your not looking to spend the $ a lowrance HDS 8 or 10 (or run 2 units 1 hds 8or10 and 1 hds7or5) would do the trick.... if ya wanna go big ide suggest the NSE system from simrad.

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
Nice, nice, thats quite a setup. Quick question, how do you plan on using both the b-164 transducer and the the broadband one? Does this show you two different screens on the NSE unit? What are the benefits of each?
Yes. The B-164 will give you your down imaging while the structure scan ducker is separate. It good for shallower depths, not the canyon.. But up to 200ft deep should not be an issue..

It allows you to see targets up to 200ft on either side of the boat and 200 feet behind the boat.. You can see Fish hanging around a wreck and all.

on my screen I can split it 4 ways.

1.GPS
2.Radar
3.fish finder
4 Structure scan.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Found a nice deal on a clouseout 1st gen. Lowrance HDS 10, and decided to jump on it. Going with structurescan, gps, and standard ff, but no radar just yet. thanks for the help everybody.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts