BASS BARN banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
When you say "How long" are you asking from the hook to the swivel? If so, the longer the length the more helicoptering you get on the cast, resulting in much shorter casting distance. I've been using a much shorter leader, about 15", to my main line of PP. If you going to run the FF rig through PP make sure you get the one that PP won't cut right through.

·
Registered
713 Posts
mainline or leader

What he's saying is that you want to run the FF on your main line instead of on your leader. Sometimes a fish will pick up the bait and move with it while mouthing it. If the FF hits the swivel and lifts the weight, the fish will feel the tension and get spooked. If it is on your main line the FF will run unimpeded while the fish takes the bait.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Fishfinder rigs can be set-up quite a few different ways.
Hatteras style is usually a 2-4",80-100# "bite" leader snelled to the hook of choice with a 150# swivel.Then a run of approx 24"(again,dealers choice)of 50-60#,then another 150# swivel.
on the 50-60# run of line you can use the traditonal black or white ff slide,or one of the braid tuff ones like I sell.These ff slides are not only braid tuff,but will not break from the weight of the lead during the pressure of the cast.Or you can use another 150# swivel with your snap of choice for the lead.This is how I set mine up.

Another good ff set-up is just a 12-36" length of 50-80# line with the hook snelled on one end and the swivel on the other end.FF slide of choice runs on this line.Length of the line depending on conditions.
Both of these set-ups cast well,especially this one because the weight and bait are literally right on top of each other and make for a nice streamlined package.

Or what LBISS mentioned.Where the braid ff slide rides right on the main braid line.A good knot for the braid to the hook is the Palomar knot.

hope that helped.

oh....and yes!The fisfinder rig is the rig of choice when chunkin' bunker.

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
I've been placing a clear bead between the swivel and FF slide - stops the swivel from getting stuck in the slide from the torgue during the cast. The only potential problem from putting the slide on the PP main line is that the PP can sometimes get wrapped around the slide and lead. I've been using #30 PP and will be moving up to #50 this year so it may help with the tangles, other wise just keep the line tight against the sinker. Also, definately use Sudsrat's FF rigs if your going to use it directly on the PP, unless you don't mind watching your sinkers fly away for good.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Rhino, need some help here. i've been searching the world over for clear beads. ( after Vinces' post, its really changed my approach.)
where can i get them? :confused:

thanks

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
I use a fish finder rig when fishing live bait (spot, mullet, herring) in the surf. I keep the leader at 12" for better casting. I like a 12' rod that allows me to lob the bait and get some decent distance. If I put too much in my cast, I usually lose my live bait. Since I am only lobbing the bait, I don't worry about leader or line strength. I usually use 30# braid or 17# mono.

When chunking, I use a single hook self tied rig or a commercial HiLo rig.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
LONEWOLF856 said:
Rhino, need some help here. i've been searching the world over for clear beads. ( after Vinces' post, its really changed my approach.)

thanks
the craft stores sell them...........Michaels,AC Moore etc....

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
LONEWOLF856 said:

thanks
I picked up a pack of tri-beads (looks like three beads melted together in a triangle) at Sportsmen Center in Bordentown. Closer to home, I would think that craft stores such as Michaels or AC Moore would have them. I also bought a pack of beads that are the same green as the slides on Sudsrats rigs. I haven't noticed a difference between the two colors, but my bait to plug fishing ration is about 1 to 10.

·
Registered
938 Posts
sudsrat, Rhino, thanks, yeah, i had already went to cabelas,bass pro, dicks, i even tried both wal & k marts. again, thanks, the craft shops it is.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Bunker Head Rig

The rig the "Sharpies" use is a 9/0 or 10/0 Gamakatsu Octopus Style (02419) with 6" piece of 100lb test leader crimped to the swivel (Krok or Spro) and hook. Blue or Yellow FF Slide on the braid side with a "Frogs Tongue" sinker and your ready to go.
Don't miss Surf Day 2008, there are some good seminars and one on Bunker Chunking.:D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts