BASS BARN banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a fiberglass deck on my roof of my house in LBI and I want to recoat the surface. There are some wear spots and I need to know what kind of paint to use. If there is a painter who knows the answer to this question, I would appreciate it. I been searching on the web and I'm going crazy over Resins, Apoxies and all kinds of other products to use. I can't find the can of paint the builder used when the house was finished and I don't want to put the wrong product on the roof. Someone said to use a rubberized coating and thats not whats on there now and I don't want to use it. I power washed the roof over the weekend and it still looks good except for the couple of wear spots, so now I want to paint the whole roof and hopefully it will last another 10 years.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I paint boats not fiberglass decks however when it comes to painting any type of fiberglass whether it be a boat hull or fiberglass deck, which both use polyester resin, surface prep is a must. You must first remove any flaking paint or grease/dirt from the fiberglass before you even consider applying some sort of paint. Any wear spots or imperfections in the glass will have to be repaired before you apply the top coat. This can be done with regular CSM and polyester laminating resin or Bondo filler. Many fiberglass decks are gel coated just like boat hulls. I don't see any reason why after proper surface prep you could not just spray another coat of Gel coat. Gel coat is just polyester resin mixed with a color tint and wax. You can add any amount of tinting you want to match existing colors and as we all know, gel coat is a very durable and hard finish. Sorry I could not be of more assistance.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts