BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking To Buy A Good And Sharp Long Lasting Knife.:)

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Dexter is fine although the best I have found come from a grocery store butcher. When their carving knives have been sharpened until the blade is thin, you cannot beat them. Get friendly with a local butcher.

·
Registered
39,870 Posts

·
Registered
11,932 Posts
I use several. Serrated blade to cut down the back through the scales, Dexter wooden w/black iron for the artwork. Wipe clean and keep off the boat when not in use to avoid corrosion.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Wood handle dexter's have a carbon blade. They will corrode (rust) and dull faster than the stainless version, however if you have sharpening skills they will take a much sharper edge than most any other knife. I'm a huge fan of thin, carbon steel fillet knives. I use navel jelly (available at most any home improvement store) to remove rust and keep the blades looking clean.

Also, Wusthof makes a specialty filet knife that is also carbon steel. My marina neighbor got one last year. All I can say is I have to have one... just waiting to justify spending the $... I believe they are over $100 ea. You can't go wrong with the wood handle Dexter for about $25-30

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Chet call me . I'am picking up my boat this week while on vacation I'll be in Wilwood till Aug 2nd. I got the 2006 23ft KW W/A with the hard top.Thanks for the info about KW!

Joe D M-13/C (215) 510 5473

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
The 9 inch carbon Dexter is a sweet blade. Enough spine so you don't fear snapping it on an errent pin bone, perfect flex for skinning, and the tip is nice and fine. Take care of the wood handle ( I wanna say they're oak?) with a little mineral oil every once in a while and there should be no fear of it's longevity.

I'd love to see Rapala put a decent handle on those ubiquitous laquered wood handled "swedish" filet knives they've been making for decades...two swipes across any steel and those things are shaving sharp...great low cost blades, but the crappiest handles ever devised. Lengthen the tang on one of those and give it a riveted redwood handle and they'd be pretty sweet.

That said...at work I tend to do most of my fish cutting with a full-out 12" butcher's scimitar. It looks goofy because its so huge, but between the curvature and the slight flex...it works perfectly for what I ask of it.

·
Banned
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks For All The Replies-joe I Will Call You In A Few Days-

·
Registered
212 Posts
Knife

Cutco Makes A Real Nice Fillet Knife, And You Can Send It Back To Them At The End Of The Season And They Will Sharpen It Free.

·
Registered
11,932 Posts
I was given a Cutco knife as a gift. Great knife but they go for almost $100. Blade stretches to different lengths (hides in the handle). I keep the knife in my truck and filet at the dock so I don't lose it overboard. I still like the carbon Dexter. Sharpens like a razor. If you learn to use a knife well almost any will do the job.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Have had the same 9" russel since 1978 when I got it for working on a Party boat, I cold Blued the Blade before I used it then wrapped the wood handle with nylon mason string and epoxy coated it. dry it after EVERY use and light coat of Veg. oil kept in a plastic sheath, still sharp as a razor. only touch it up lightly with a year or old diamond stick

1 - 20 of 22 Posts