BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about an alternative to fluke bellies, and know that a lot of guys use strips of robin for fluke bait...When you fillet a sea robin, do they have belly strips similar to a fluke's, or is it just thinly filleted strips of meat that are used? Do they hold up as well as flounder belly? And, does anyone out there actually eat these spiny bastards??? Thanks in advance-----Mike

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
FLuke love em. With the small robins, just filet off both sides for two baits. The larger robins filet of both sides then cut the filets long ways down the middle for two long baits per side. Excellent bait when seabass are stealing baits. Most of my biggest fluke were caught on sea robins but in the ocean, not the back bay. BTW, they don't keep to well in the fridge unless frozen. Always use fresh if you can get it.

[ 07-20-2004, 06:19 AM: Message edited by: High Wire ]

·
Registered
47 Posts
As far as eating them, yes they're good. Just like alot of ugly great tasting fish in the sea.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Second all the above posts
. Eat the biggins & bait the smaller. With little pratice can split tailfin when fileting for some relistic flutter on "both" filets. Ataching to a white ledhead/bucktail makes for a more visual target IMHO. BIG fluke love em (bigger bait, bigger fluke), a piece the size of your hand is not too big when looking for a doormat ;) .

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Anyone eating Oyster Crackers? Don't Knock it if you haven't tried it.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
I got my first SeaRobin out of the Surf Saturday.
About a 2lber.....

·
Registered
177 Posts
Good tasting filets. Filleted you would be hard pressed to tell the difference between a sea robin filet and weakfish. Once cooked it's even harder.
I'll occasionally keep a few of the larger ones, especially on a bad day otherwise and either throw the smaller ones back or use them for bait.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
any reef jayman, catch'em while chummin for the toothy ones!! piece of anything on a small hook--send it to the bottom. Feel em out...they'll clean you out if the rod is in holder usually.(depending on the bait)

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Yep Yep fine belly strips! Use the whole filet but, thin out the meat so it's only about 1/4 in left on the skin. Cut your strip as you normally would. A little "split tail' action is also good as previously noted. ;)

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Filet them alive and get the bait in the water ASAP and you'll have a fish on in less than 5 minutes. It may be a fluke or another robbin, but you'll have a fish on immediately.

·
Registered
205 Posts
RE OYSTERCRACKERS..Hey upchuck, fill me in on eating those "crackers"..Do you clean 'em like a catfish or what? How do you cook? filet? etc. Thanx in advance.

·
Registered
106 Posts
rockdoc,
I cooked up a big september sea robin. I could almost fit my fist in the mouth. I brought it cooked in to work one day, more for show than for any other reason. I simply gutted it and baked it at 400 degrees for about 8 minutes with the head on. I didn't even scale it. I served the fish whole, just like they do in Italy. I put it on a bed of rice and beans. It wasn't very tasty, but then again it was cold. The flesh was firm with some dark viens running through it. Maybe it would have been better warm. It sure looked exotic, but, I mostly ate the rice and beans.
I will try it again, but warm.

[ 07-26-2004, 08:46 PM: Message edited by: TriplePlay ]

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Way to try something new, Archie...Yeah, it doesn't sound too great served that way, but it probably made a good conversation piece!

·
Registered
600 Posts
there is a good asian live market for oystercrackers, i believe they make a soup out of the live fish, sort of like we do with crabs, i have never eaten one myself but imagine they taste good, maybe similar to a monk fish??

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
I actually jigged up a Oystercracker over
the weekend,it hit a Pink Zoom....

·
Banned
9,261 Posts

Lot's Of SeaRobbins in the Surf Right Now..

Em Em Good.... :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Saw a guy with a stargazer that looked like it was about 12" wide at the head at the Manasquan river - he took it out of a large plastic bag and asked me what it was.

[ 08-02-2004, 02:40 PM: Message edited by: Irishmist ]

1 - 20 of 23 Posts