BASS BARN banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 4 trips of catching mostly junk fish in Naples area,Catfish,ladyfish etc ,I decided to travel down to Everglades City and work the 10,000 islands
We didn't set world on fire but did catch 2 30" Snook, 2 Redfish ,26" and 29" 29" was over the slot. Picked up 2 trout 1-20" 1-23"
Best part of the day was 5 big Jacks 8-10lb all caught on surface plugs (Smacker it jr's). I've seen nothing atrack a surface plug like those Jacks

It is amazing how a little cold front affects fishing down here, couple degree drop in water temps shuts down inshore fishing quickly.

Off shore 40-50 miles out is producing pretty good, one charter guy down here is swearing by my bucktails. He called before I left to come down needed 200 of my 2-4oz jigs which he said were outfishing live bait
Brought 175 down as I didn't have time to make 200 and he has been killing gag grouper (season now closed) cobia and amberjacks
He said his success has filled his order book and is full March and April
Glad to make him happy and in spite of offer I have no interest in a 50 mile trip offshore ,been there,done that and now too old
BUT I'm looking forward to returning to NJ in April and getting into my love the Striped Bass

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
those Jacks can be vicious...I had one year before last, 10+, on 6lb test, took 20 minutes to get it to the boat...:cool:

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cape maychef----I heard some good reports from Fort Myers area,Estero and Pine island . One guy told me he caught 27 snook last week before the cold front running 16-24" in the Fort Myers area

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
I fish the upper 10K out of Marco pretty often. It's great. I wish I could spend winters down there. Glad things are picking up for you.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Clearwater Beach

I'll be in the Clearwater Beach area next week 3/12 to 3/19. Without my boat though. Looking to do some productive fishing,without spending a lot of $$$
on a charter. Any suggestions...party boats...or whatever?
Appreciate the insight.
Greg

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Whaler, can't help you in Clearwater area . I did hear on todays fishing report that covers all of Florida that they were catching Pompano in lagoons, passes, and surf this week
Best thing to do is go search fishing in clearwater and it should lead you to information sites or once here stop in any tackle shop near water
good luck

·
Registered
55 Posts
Nice report Bucktail.
Heading to Pine Island on the 19th, great place to fish! Last year we had good luck with the amberjack about 50 miles out with live bait. I would like to try bucktails. What is a good color and brand?

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
CGG----THE captain I made bucktail jigs for said white and chartreuase in 2-3 oz was producing Gag's ,cobia and amberjacks.
He said real bucktail hair jigs (which is what I use) was outproduce same style jig that had other type hair.
also heard this afternoon there was a good run of redfish in Pine Is area and tarpon have showed up
But all of that was before the current cold front coming through tonite gets through
GOOD LUCK

·
Registered
376 Posts
Great to here you did so well in the 10K's. I get to fish over there with my girlfriends Dad once every month or more depending on work schedules. We launch in Port of the Ilse and work our way in to the backcountry from there. Truely is whole world away from growing up fishing in NJ versus fishing down here in Florida especially in that area. Anyway nice job on the inshore slam..............Tight Lines

1 - 13 of 13 Posts