BASS BARN banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Six years ago when I became addicted to trout fishing, I set a goal to one day reach the “century mark” - 100 trout in a day. The first year, I was happy when I broke double digits. As I became a better trout angler over the past few years, my catches per day increased, but 100 trout in a day always seemed to evade me. I came close a few times last season, but the one thing I was always short on, was time.

After 235 outings for trout (I have them logged in Excel – that’s the accountant in me), I finally joined the “century mark” club on Monday. Like all previous outings, I never made this mark my primary focus for the day, but as Monday rolled on, I knew this goal was within reach and I had plenty of time to do it in.

I had the alarm set for 4:00 AM Monday morning, but I was awake by 3:40 AM and decided to get moving. I arrived at the first stream and was fishing by 6:00 AM. Things started very, very slow during the first hour. I even thought about jumping to another nearby stream, but something told me to stick around for a little.

Note: The batteries in my camera were almost dead, so I didn’t take a whole lot of pictures. Since I had fished all the stream sections in the past and had taken stream shots then, the below stream pictures are of the actual streams I fished on Monday, but at different times in the past.

Stream #1

The first stream was a stocked stream with plenty of open access and a decent population of wild browns as well. Although the fishing during the first half of the stream was slow, things picked up considerably in the second half. In two and a half hours of fishing, I landed 29 wild and stocked brown, 4 brook, and 4 rainbow trout. I also hooked into what I thought was the biggest trout of my life, but it ended up being a huge sucker.

Stream #2

The second stream I fished was a tight, freestone stream that is unstocked. I struggled with my casts a bit and definitely spooked more than I caught, but after a half hour, I brought an additional 7 wild brown, 1 brook (with only one eye), and 1 nicely colored rainbow.

Stream #3

The third stream is one of my favorites. It is an unstocked stream that runs through some dilapidated buildings and then disappears for a bit into a beautiful wooded area. Every time I fish this stream, I’m never disappointed. After an hour and twenty minutes of fishing, I landed 32 wild brown and 7 brook trout.

As I was heading to my car and tallying my results for the day, I realized I was only 15 trout short of 100 and I still had a couple of hours before I wanted to head home. There were a few streams in the area that I had never fished before, but I decided to go for the sure bet and headed down the road about 15 miles to the final stream of the day.

Stream #4

The fourth stream is probably my personal favorite. It fishes decent for me, but the surroundings are second to none in my opinion. My first half-dozen casts brought me 2 wild browns – 13 trout to go to 100.

Then out of nowhere, something came over me and I couldn’t hook and land a fish to save my life. The next 10-15 minutes was miss after miss after miss! I was starting to get real frustrated at this point and even used some “not so nice” language. I finally regained my composure (and my concentration) and then it was lights out after that.

Number 100 should have been a decent 11-12” wild brown, but he decided to throw the hook about ten feet from me. Instead this monster was number 100!

After an hour of fishing the fourth stream, I had landed 29 wild browns, which brought my total for the day to 114 trout (97 browns, 12 brooks, 5 rainbows) and 1 sucker. I definitely felt accomplished and to top it off I was able to spend the rest of the afternoon and evening with my wife and our three boys, which put a smile on everyone’s face. I couldn’t have asked for a better day off.

A special thanks to my dad for getting me "hooked" on fishing at a young age and my wife for putting up with all the early morning outings.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Bravo! Straight beast mode!!!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Congrats on the century mark :thumbsup: Now that you revealed the accounting thing, the tallying all makes sense!
Thanks LSD. Contrary to what most people think, I only keep numbers to track the productivity of the streams I fish (too many streams and my memory stinks lately).

·
Registered
78,970 Posts
Excellent post. Thank you:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Thanks LSD. Contrary to what most people think, I only keep numbers to track the productivity of the streams I fish (too many streams and my memory stinks lately).
Just busting chops. A log that detailed for a stream is priceless. Congrats again :thumbsup: Those guys that do it regularly on the other sites live in god's country and have an unfair advantage over we SEPA guys.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Those guys that do it regularly on the other sites live in god's country and have an unfair advantage over we SEPA guys.
Tell me about it! Other than an infamous creek that runs through a nearby national park, it's typically an hour (plus) to get to a decent wild trout stream from my area.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Very nice post and pics, enjoyed reading it and looking at some nice looking water to boot!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts