BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been off the forums for a week or so, keeping busy....getting ready for the new stuff coming into the shop. I had the chance to check out a new line, ( new to me at least) made by FINS. It is a braid, with a 10-15% stretch to it. It was one of those items I looked at, thought that is pretty cool idea and then the light bulb went off! :D

I am going to start fishing it, but my initial feelings on this line are ........WOW!! A great idea and just what we needed! The benefits of thinner diameter line, with just enough stretch to make it just right for the times we use braid and wish we had some forgiveness in it.

I think this will be one of "THE ITEMS" to catch on this year. They also make a Windtamer Line with a little memory, ( which is exactly what Line Butter does when we treat our braids for casting). I am guilty of not paying much attention to this company and I regret it now. I am glad I had the chance to talk to them and learn about their products.

Yes, I will stock Fins this year and I think they have some good people behind the controls, developing their products. I was impressed! :thumbsup: To date, when I have heard about the brand, I have heard from guys who love it and others who have said they dont care for it, ( but they have not used it, they are just loyal totheir brand). I think these new styles are going to fit in nicely. The Shock Absorbing Braid is perfect for both trolling and bottom fishing IMHO.

We also had the chance to check out the line of Phenix Rods, both finished rods and blanks, with a couple that caught our attention. I am looking further into them. This new Fins Line is going on the wall for sure. So......anybody use it yet? The shock absorbing line? I cant wait to get it wet.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Is this a Spectra or Dyneema product or a new hybrid??

I understand that Momoi Diamond braid also has a new 70 lb "Swordfish Special" line out that a lot of the South Florida guys are using.

Joe

·
Registered
454 Posts

It's a blend of 75% spectra and 25% dacron. The manufacturer states 8-10% stretch. Available in Green/Black or HV yellow. Non-hollow.

·
Registered
726 Posts

It's a blend of 75% spectra and 25% dacron. The manufacturer states 8-10% stretch. Available in Green/Black or HV yellow. Non-hollow.

Thanks Basil.

Does this increase the line diameter vs. comparable lb. test pure Spectra ??

Joe

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Line Butter?? Thats an actual product?
Yes its a real product. It is either sprayed or applied to your braid, causing slight memory and reducing wind knots. This Fins Windtamer line has some memory built into the manufacturing and IMHO will work much better than having to apply the line butter every so many trips. I have been meaning to check Fins out for a good year or so, but I get side tracked. They seem to have much more to offer than many other manufacturers. I placed an order for a little of everything. Im sorry I have waited so long. I get alot of online requests for it from International customers, now I know why.

The shock absorbing line is going to find a home on my bottom fishing reels and even some others. I have decided to use Fins for hollow core as well. This is one of those posts where I admit I screwed up by waiting so long. :nuts: They make some great products.

Cant wait to start using it on my personal stuff. I talked to some seasoned NC guys who use it for larger fish. No complaints. Like I said, I can see the windtamer and shockabsorbing lines becoming a must have for many of us. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
TTom are you getting bulk spools or just smaller spools? I almost never spool my own braid to make sure it goes on super tight from day one.

Also, let me know when you'll be in so I can come in to have that rod finished!

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I was in the shop when it came in. That stuff looks sweet. Ill take a spool of 20lb when it comes in, put it on jimmys tab
Now that I know ........I will get a notebook for Jimmys tab!!! Infact why not take 2??? :D BTW, I am working on that circle hook for the Tile Jigs. After talking to you about the theory behind the circle yesterday, it makes perfect sense and I thiink your right. :thumbsup:

TTom are you getting bulk spools or just smaller spools? I almost never spool my own braid to make sure it goes on super tight from day one.

Also, let me know when you'll be in so I can come in to have that rod finished!
Yes, I will have service spools. Most of our braid is done that way, so your not alone. I used to use a phone book, when i would do my own at home. I found it was as close as I could get to using a real spooling machine. May not sound like much, but running the line through a phone book, with something on top will work. You just want to lubricate the line some, to avoid it from heating up. ( I broke many a line because of that. I had to find a few tricks.)

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I was in the shop when it came in. That stuff looks sweet. Ill take a spool of 20lb when it comes in, put it on jimmys tab
Dick

Tom what days are you gonna be around I wanna come check out one of the jigs rods on the shelf that i noticed last time I was in but didn't have my 18 to put on it. And I got a rod that needs a new eye.

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dick

Tom what days are you gonna be around I wanna come check out one of the jigs rods on the shelf that i noticed last time I was in but didn't have my 18 to put on it. And I got a rod that needs a new eye.
Next sure day is Sunday from like 6 am until noonish. Check for my truck in between now and then. And bring money for your tab that is going up thanks to your buddy! :D

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
sure, answer him when you are going to be in the shop, but not me! haha i will be hunting you down this weekend!
LOL. I will be in Sunday morning from like 6am until noonish'. :D Stop in,,,,,we can put your stuff on Jimmys Tab too!!!!!!

The new Fins Line is not here yet, but I have a few smaller sample spools to check out. My order will be in within the next 2-3 weeks.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
LOL. I will be in Sunday morning from like 6am until noonish'. :D Stop in,,,,,we can put your stuff on Jimmys Tab too!!!!!!

The new Fins Line is not here yet, but I have a few smaller sample spools to check out. My order will be in within the next 2-3 weeks.
While were putting stuff on my tab.

Ill take 2 bushido popping rod with canyon spinners filled with 60 and 80 jerry brown hollow
2 busihdo 6ft and 6ft6" cork grips, titanium eyes, and aluminum gimbles and reel seat, and a canyon hs30 filled with 80 jerry brown hollow
2 dozen Jersey Jay jigs (pick some nice ones for me)
Couple HPA bags
Ron-z
Poppers/Stickbaits
Rapala Xraps (assorted size and colors)
And ohh yeah a pack of tog hooks.

Thanks Tom I'll get the cash to you sometime in the next 2-15 years.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.