BASS BARN banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out last night by Great Egg Inlet and the glow in the water was there like last year. Not as extreme but it left trails of glow behind your string / outboard and lures. Last year when it showed up the fishing litterally almost stopped. I hope this isn't a repeat. The fishing is slow as it is. Any else with comments on this stuff? I believe it's some kind of phospherous algae. :(

·
Registered
44 Posts
striperholic,

could you describe the glow and or the creatures? Once the water gets above about 60 the combs start to come in these are oblong spheres that look like jellies but they are actually called combs anyhow they glow blue green. these are actually fish food. the feed on plankton and such and are harmless to the touch. I saw where guys were talking about fire on the water earlier in the year but did not really know what they were talking about. the water gets warmer and more are around. warm water is not really good for the back bay fishery. BTW if you see me out in the duranautic 14' alum( not many of those out around here) feel free to say hello.

Andy

·
Registered
908 Posts
Bad News...

As soon as it showed up last fall, the fishing shut down completely. The
only place I could catch anything was under the bridge lights. I don't
remember it until October, so if it's already here, we're in trouble. I
haven't been out at night in a while, but was thinking of giving it a try
later this week. I'll let you know how bad it is then...was it in back too?

·
Administrator
7,493 Posts
I'm seeing in shallow water (>4')just like every other year, and i believe(know) flukin nuts is correct. Not sure how much it really affects the fishing.

REN

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Whatever it is, it is too small too see. When the water drips off your tip of your rod when retrieveing a lure it looks like real light blue blood. It glows a eerie light blue. The prop wash is a dim light blue. When a fish swims thru it it leaves a trail behind it. The fish can see your line for sure. This was in the inlet mouth. Like last year it never went into the bay, also even with a 3-5 mph current going out it never left the inlet. So it has to swim somehow.
It definately killed my season last year, my numbers per 6 years + of log books were way off. When it finnally left the fish really never showed in force.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Rodg,
Ive seen it around the last couple nights...
No where near as intense as last fall though. That stuff last year was some sort of algae or plankton. Very tiny partical and it was everywhere.
Last few nights Ive seen the blue glowing jellyfish looking things.

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
It was around my dock in sea isle's back bay last fall. I could watch the stripers feeding on baitfish at night. Pretty cool. Did shut down the fishing . The fish could see the glowing fishing line.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts