BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm Just curious who uses what.

Lets not try to change anyones mind. We all have our favorite for various reasons.

My choice is Fireline. Color, Smoke.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Mono by ANDE. I've seen too many fish lost by a failed knot due to no-stretch line.

Just my preference....Ask Lunchman :D

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I use power-pro...nothing against other similar products but I've had success with power-pro and like its properties....so..........why switch??

·
Registered
7,292 Posts
Moss green Power-Pro for me, 30 pound for casting, 50 pound for everything else usually. I am interested to hear the pro's on Stren super-braid??

·
Registered
7,237 Posts
Fireline mostly, but I use PP also.
I like them both.

·
Registered
32,486 Posts
PP on my trolling rods because that's what the guy at the tackle shop had in bulk. If he only had Fireline, I would have told him to spool me up with that. I was just looking for a thin diameter line so I could get more capacity on my reel. I use mono on my spinning rigs. I use to use super-braids for jigging because of the superior feel but they got all screwed up on the spinning reels.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Power-Pro Moss Green. Been using it since I started bridge fishing a few years ago and now use it for everything. 20# on the plugging rod and flounder fishing, 30# on the bridge rod, and 50# for chunking.

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
Same here as Young Guns on using PP exclusively. I used to use Fireline and loved it too. I just hated those little hairs/frays that would always show on the Firdline after it got broken in. Even though I never really had a breakoff problem with it, it was a confidence issue. I also think PP is just a tad thinner pound for pound vs. Fireline, which I like. Hey, I'm going to try the new Stren Braid this year too. I'm always looking for that technical "edge".It makes up for lack of talent. LOL :D ;) :D

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Fire line. I have a reel filled with PP and it seems to have less knot strength. With FL a simple Palomar knot works fine for terminal tackle. Spider hitch, Uni-knot and improved clinch work well too. FL is stiff when new but limbers up after a use or too. It looks nasty after a season, but its still strong.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Did well with both.But I think there's a place for mono.Mono will give a different decend rate,for bucktailing and jigging and sometimes this is what they want,and I like mono for wk.fish.Just bought Seaguar carbon pro mono floro fishing line.Has any one used it?

·
Banned
2,974 Posts
10# fireline for flounder, 16# Ande Green tournament for stripers and blues, 10# Ande for trout on the boat. On the surf Berkley Sensi-thin, 14# or 20# for stripers, blues and channel bass. 6# or 10# of the same for flounder,sea mullet and trout.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
PP still gets the nod im my store, not that there is a real problem with fireline, but the Pp does have a smaller diameter and at least looks like it holds up better.

I would suggest you give the yellow PP a try. Its all I use now whenever I have to respool a rig or put a new one into service. It is just amazing how nice it is to actually see where your line is going, especially in low light or when you are fishing with a group of fishermen. If you worry about fish seeing the line use a leader, most fishermen already do. Or if you would rather tie direct use a magic marker and darken the last two feet of line.

·
Registered
342 Posts
since i have not used either I am going to try all three in the spring. I have heard good things about the strens new braid, I think i will try that first.

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
Used PP for 4 years, going back to mono this year, The tangles are crazy, never had a knot problem, if your fishing with bud's and they don't have PP, you end up cutting them off on multi hookup's, had some problems casting with the conventional reels, thought about super braid,but just decided to go back to mono, thinking about spooling a couple of reels with the new Cajun Red next. If your using PP, make sure you have good guides, it will score them

·
Registered
31,456 Posts
I use them all.

Fireline for rocky areas. By far it has the best abrasion resistance. If PP touches a rock it's gone. Draw back is Fireline is thicker and lays flat because of the dacron filler in it.

I use Power Pro on most of my inshore baitcaster. The thinner rounder shape works great. I also like Stealth.

I use Izor Spectra for my offshore reels as backing. It has no color so it doesn't have the waxy build up that PP has. It last forever, while other wax coated lines get rough and bumpy from using them under alot of pressure.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I used Fireline & PP, but found the stren braid to be superior. After one full year of the stren I'm replacing it on my reels as they need line.

I think Stren Braid is going to gain popularity this year.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts