BASS BARN banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 20+ year old fireplace insert alsaka brand in fair condition. It's used for firewood not coal, its not perfect but it works. I replaced it with a pellet stove. The adjustable damper is gone it went about 10+ years ago and I set a plate on top and adjusted it and left it go. I used up until last year.

Did I mention it is free just get it out of my garage.

·
Registered
13,030 Posts
You have e-mail!!!

·
Registered
15,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Joc had a few E-mails but no one has shown up yet, this is a first come first served deal. It has some surface rust and needs to be cleaned up but the price should compensate for it.

·
Registered
15,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The pellet stove is nice, set the thing add pellets and leave it go. It's much easier and cleaner then the wood stove, I used to get wood for free but I'm getting to the point where cutting and splitting firewood isn't as interesting as it was 10 years ago. Pellets are $200 a ton and based on how I burn the stove should last me a while.

I've been looking at them for a few years now and saying I'm going to do it and never did, I looked in the paper and a guy was selling one, I went and looked at it and it was in perfect condition and the price was cheap, $300 I couldn't turn it down. The guy was one of those Metro types whose wife has him completely emasculated and she didn't want to have to put pellets in the stove so they put in a gas fireplace insert. It was funny because when I went to pick it up I had to be there before 10:00 in the morning because thats when he starts his vacuum cleaning.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Pellet stoves are nice, I am considering buying another, but they do have several drawbacks...You need a dry place to store the pellets if you buy them by the ton (which is a pallet of fifty 40-lb bags)...Secondly, if the electricity goes out, so does your heat, so it's not ideal for a sole heat source...Also, except for some of the newer models that have ignitors (which add greatly to the convenience factor) you have to manually light the stove using either something like gelled alcohol or a propane torch...All of that said, still, I think pellet stoves are a great heat source...I have a split-level house with three bedrooms and my pellet stove was in my basement family room...That one stove put out enough heat to do the entire house easily except on the coldest of nights (i.e. in the single digits)...

Right now, I'm using a natural gas heater in my living room but I'm in search of a woodstove or pellet stove to use occasionally...Since I had sold my pickup truck, it wasn't exactly feasible to haul a ton of pellets in my VW so I stopped using the pellet stove I had...Now that I again have a way to haul, I'm looking for a replacement stove to use in conjunction with the gas...Anyone else have a stove for sale?

·
Registered
15,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The stove is Gone

Jerry just pick it up.

·
Registered
15,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Jerry, if it was on rt 10 it was Honeybrook I'll run over there and check it out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts