BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The reel would be going on a 7 foot extra heavy terez. (nothing of which is in my possession yet). I am between the avet sx raptor, mxl raptor, accurate boss 2 speed, and the talica 16 2 speed.

This will be used from deep bottom fishing, to tuna jigging, etc. Anything i can possibly use it for. im looking to unload a few set ups and pick up one that can do it all. I handled the terez and it seems like an amazing rod. Now the reel...i don't have a clue. i have never owned a 2 speed, and idk which to get. the terez i handled had a single speed mxl on it and it seemed like a nice fit...but lighter is always better! opinions please!!!!

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
I think I got about 360 yds of Daiwa 65# boatbraid on my SX raptor. I run 17# at strike, and can throw down as much as 23# if needed. I've boated tuna to a buck or so without really testing the gear and am confident I can handle bigger. Best part is the combo feels like a fluke outfit!

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I have an mxl, hx, hx raptor and have fished the sx. All great reels but my favorite is the hx on a trevala s (the avets don't fit the reel seat on the trevela f or that would be my rod choice). I'll put it in the spread with no worries! Harness lugs on the reel just in case. The mxl gear ratio is real high even in low and big fish my be a challenge. I'm partial to avet due to left hand availability.

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
Consider weight and the problems fitting some reels on smaller reel seats as mentioned. Weight can be balanced out to feel better, but the reel seat issue is a problem with many of today's newer rods. Some reel companies charge you extra for a modified version. We get many guys walking in with new rods, never used, because the reel will not fit on it. Do your homework, I know you will research it. Better yet, let the little guy pick it out.....he knows his fishing! ;)

·
Registered
455 Posts
If Canyon is being brought into this now i can help you with them and the Avet. Ive got the Canyon HS-15 and the Avet MXL The Canyon is nice, holds 435yds of 40# Diawa braid. A little expensive compared to the Avet especially since its made overseas. One things i really dont like about the Canyon is the extreme drag jump from strike to full. It goes up somewhat gradually from freespool to strike but as soon as you push it a little past strike it jumps so much that its crazy. It feels like nothing at strike and then everything at full. i also dont like how easy it is to push it from strike to full. Another odd thing about the Canyon is the screws they use. You have to use the tool that comes with it to open the reel up. Other than that the reel is nice. The Avet does have a decent drag jump but not nearly as much as the Canyon. If I had to choose I would go with the Avet MXL. Its $70 less an holds more line.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I don't like when people have specific reels they want comparisons on and someone suggests something else. With that said, check out the Daiwa Saltiga LD 35. It's a sweet reel. I have it on a 6'6" XH Terez and it handled our typical size BFT with no problem.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
i am open to any suggestion...canyon wasn't an option simply because where i will be getting the set up, they aren't a dealer. and i am getting such a good price i just can't justify going anywhere else. especially since it is a local shop, and a friend of mine. i would never even ask, let alone expect a shop to even come close to this price...

with that being said...i am open to suggestions outside of the reel's i had mentioned. i will be using 65 lb daiwa boat braid. i would like it to be as light as possible, but like i said, i want this set up to do everything. blackfish, to jigging bluefin, to tile fish/yellow fin if i get those opportunities. and i know the rod can handle it all. i want the 2 speed cause i feel like that opens up so many more possibilities as to what i can do with the combo.

ok, so lets throw the saltiga into the mix....seems like it would fit the bill. i think the hx may be a bit big for all around use, no? again..open to opinions....

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Consider weight and the problems fitting some reels on smaller reel seats as mentioned. Weight can be balanced out to feel better, but the reel seat issue is a problem with many of today's newer rods. Some reel companies charge you extra for a modified version. We get many guys walking in with new rods, never used, because the reel will not fit on it. Do your homework, I know you will research it. Better yet, let the little guy pick it out.....he knows his fishing! ;)

your right..i should show him the pics/colors and let him pick.....haha

·
Registered
134 Posts
terez combo

used the extra heavy terez 6-6 with a talica 12 2 speed. my favorite combo. over my torsa reels. Handled bluefin to 150 on chunk and jig, deep dropped tiles with 48 oz, baited swords to 100lbs, and chunked yellowfin to 80lbs without a hic-cup!

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
used the extra heavy terez 6-6 with a talica 12 2 speed. my favorite combo. over my torsa reels. Handled bluefin to 150 on chunk and jig, deep dropped tiles with 48 oz, baited swords to 100lbs, and chunked yellowfin to 80lbs without a hic-cup!
thats great to hear and exactly what i was looking for. especially from you. we have never met, but i fish with steve on the seahawk a lot (right across the dock from you) and we have fished side by side quite a bit. steve has nothing but good things to say about your operation :thumbsup:

now with that being said :D, is this based on affiliations with shimano? hahah kidding.... do you think the 16 is a little big for the 7' terez? what im seeing, the 12 is an oz lighter, holds 85 yards less 65 lb braid (not a bit deal since it won't be filled with 400 yards anyway...), drag and gear ratio the same. i don't think the one ounce or line capacity will make a difference..just don't want it to feel to small...

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Matt, I have the same rod paired with the Talica 16II. Although I'm sure you can see it a local shop, you're welcome to come check it out.

·
Registered
20,269 Posts
Line up 1/2 dozen reels that you have in consideration, and then strap them on the rod one at a time to see how they balance out for you. As most of the candidates are quality pieces of gear, you should pick the one that is most comfortable for you to hold all day.

Don't let the price tags sway you too much.. this is a personal piece of equipment that will certainly serve you for many years...

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Matt, I have the same rod paired with the Talica 16II. Although I'm sure you can see it a local shop, you're welcome to come check it out.

I may take you up on that......how do you like the combo? Would the 12 be to small on it?

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Ok, let me know. Love the combo so far...for tilefishing and tuna jigging. The 12 would probably be ok and might make it a little more versatile, if you intend to use it inshore as well. I think the 7' XH Terez with the Talica 16II would be overkill for anything but offshore deep dropping/tuna jigging, although it would work, it's just a little too heavy IMO.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
TThe only inshore it will see is blackfish, or deep sea bass or something. I just want a set up I can use for those few offshore trips a year, but get more use out of it the rest of the year to justify the cost

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
still up in the air about the reel..but..quick question. general idea of when to use which speed.

i imagine the high speed for jigging, ripping deep baits up, smaller bottom fish

lower gear for fighting big fish

that simple, right? haha

·
Registered
263 Posts
Avet

Cant go wrong with an Avet. I own 5 of em 2 of em being 2speed raptors. the raptor is a sturdier reel than the reg. or 2speed reg. version. the mag cast control works great. have put a whoopin on more than a few tuna this year on my mxl raptor, fishin it as a jigging reel and a bait reel also. actually like it better than my hxw raptor, although it doesnt have the line capacity i havent (yet) been spooled on the mxl. only downside is that when jigging with it there is a bump on the upswing when jigging. which i have gotten use to. also made in the USA..... GOOD LUCK:cool: AND YES ITS AS SIMPLE AS THAT!!!!!

·
Registered
157 Posts
still up in the air about the reel..but..quick question. general idea of when to use which speed.

i imagine the high speed for jigging, ripping deep baits up, smaller bottom fish

lower gear for fighting big fish

that simple, right? haha
It is that simple. 95% of the time you'll be using the higher gear. Fighting big fish and when a tuna is doing his death spirals are a couple of times you might want to downshift.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Cant go wrong with an Avet. I own 5 of em 2 of em being 2speed raptors. the raptor is a sturdier reel than the reg. or 2speed reg. version. the mag cast control works great. have put a whoopin on more than a few tuna this year on my mxl raptor, fishin it as a jigging reel and a bait reel also. actually like it better than my hxw raptor, although it doesnt have the line capacity i havent (yet) been spooled on the mxl. only downside is that when jigging with it there is a bump on the upswing when jigging. which i have gotten use to. also made in the USA..... GOOD LUCK:cool: AND YES ITS AS SIMPLE AS THAT!!!!!
If it wasn't for that slop in the anti reverse those Avets are perfect jigging reels.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts