BASS BARN banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All the other threads are talking about getting a first bass on bait and they are all talking about the weather and how late in March it will be before they catch.

Well what tricks can we pull out of our bags to get one on a fly early this year. It always seems a painfully slow start for us with the flyrod. The bloodworm and clam guys seem to get the action much earlier making it even worse, waiting for that first strike.

What is the earliest anyone has taken one on a fly and temperature if you know it?

·
Administrator
7,486 Posts
Ray,
I only know of one trick.
Fishing around the shadow line of the "stand-by" bridge with a shrimp fly.
The little bastards are partial to intermediate lines, and H20 temps of 41d(my lowest in spring).
Shrimp flies are thr most important factor in my experience.
Mid-March & the power plant is only for lackadaisical "fisher-people".

REN

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Ray Several years ago a couple of us caught bass in each of the 12 months. Of course, in those days I was a "lackadaisical fisher person" who caught large #s of bass. :)

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
REN and Sparse. This time of year desperate men use desperate means. A little artifical warm water never hurts. Figure that would be the best shot on a fly.

REN, when will you start fly fishing? Did you even take you boat out of the water? Hope to see you at our next SJCFA meeting now that we are in your backyard.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Ive gotten them on soft plastics(zooms, sassy shads etc.) and plugs the first week of March..if they hit those they'd hit a fly...so thats what I'll be throwing this year ;) Me and Keith have a "100 bass on the fly" spring bet going on :D Should make things interesting!! Ive been pounding on the vice and got some great stuff I cant wait to swim...I'll try to post some pics later today..

·
Registered
84 Posts
Ray,

A couple of years ago, when we had a very mild winter, I had them on March 1.

This present shot of colder temps is not helping us. Hopefully, warmer weather will be coming soon.

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ed, good to hear from you. I think we are all excited to just get out and give it a shot. All we need is a few nice days. With all our deep water flooding into Cape May Harbor our water always seem to take a little longer to warm up. The Ocean City area always seems to produce first. Hope you can make it happen soon. I may be tempted to trailer up to that area for a few trips before I put the boat in the slip for the season. Give me a reason to come up. Hope you will be able to join us at the new SJCFA location in Ocean City on the 17th of March. We have a super new location and hope to do a lot of fun things.

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Josh and Keith, sounds like a good way to get some bass this spring. Put the preasure on and using the flyrod to catch them is sometimes tough when they are hitting plastics and bait better. Right now you have a 50/50 chance and the odds makers have you favored a little cause you get to fish more.

I think you guys should only count fish when you are fishing together. That would make it fair. Go out there and break the ice.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Originally posted by CapeMayRay:

I think you guys should only count fish when you are fishing together. That would make it fair. Go out there and break the ice.
Yeah,,, I dont think that "hipkvw" dude can be trusted :D
I heard he's "trouble" ;)

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
Originally posted by KeysKid:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by CapeMayRay:

Yeah,,, I dont think that "hipkvw" dude can be trusted :D
I heard he's "trouble" ;)
</font>[/QUOTE]I'm only trouble to the fish! Is it a bet or is it a goal? If it s a bet you just lost your boat ride :eek: Better learn how to fish good out of that Yak! LOL
:D I only need about 3 good nights ;) Oh yeh...and some casting practice :eek:

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Glad you guys are sportmen and release most, cause there are too many guys that would have to see them stacked on the dock like cord wood in order for them to count.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
If I still lived at my old place, I could give you a striper or two on March 1. The creek is currently liquid, not solid. They would be 6" long at the most, but hey, they'd still count!! :D

·
Registered
481 Posts
Can anyone recommend where I can see shrimp fly instructions? I've seen some that look pretty complex but want to ease in to them. What size/color for early season?

I've been twisting up some things that look like bloodworms. I'll try them along the Del River this spring. I figure if there's enough weight to them I can get it below the slick...

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Tie up some 2-3" white clousers with bead-chain eyes. They look about as close to shrimp as you'll need, and they're stinking easy to tie.

I've got some other no-name shrimp patterns I tie that work, but the clousers, or crazy charlies, are my go-to shrimp patterns.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
[ [/qb][/QUOTE] Is it a bet or is it a goal? If it s a bet you just lost your boat ride :eek: [/QB][/QUOTE]
How could you go and do that to a brotha?? :D You wouldnt be able to live with yourself. :D

·
Administrator
7,486 Posts
Longshanks,
The shrimp fly as defined/described in Bob Popovics book work.(good starting point)
Even without the epoxy and trimmed poorly.

REN

·
Registered
8,156 Posts
KK, LOL. ;)You know Im playin. 100 fish. OOF! I better start casting!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts