BASS BARN banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be heading down to the Susky flats for the first time this Sunday and plan to put in at either Anchor Marine or Turkey Point. Anyone willing to help a flats newb figure out where to head from either of these two spots?

Ele recommended the deep water on the southeast channel a while back. Has anyone been doing anything there?

Fred

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Don't want to be there bearer of bad news, but it ain't happening yet.
There are probably some fish around, but the water clarity is still poor from all the recent rain events. Here's todays satellite shot. I had to downsize to fit here but you can see the mud in the upper bay. It has started to clear, but this weekend looks like a tough one for catching.

Weather report not looking real sporty either.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Ed.

Assuming the striper aren't around, what other tactics would you use to keep a 14 year old who'll be along happy?

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the link Captain Ed. Northern tip looks a bit cleaner than the mid bay area. Maybe we'll catch a break tomorrow.

Fred

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I hope you do! There's a mudshad run up the Susky right now, any early fish might be headed up there after them.
Good luck.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I never get too overexcited about conditions until the last of March. My prediction?! Fish will be caught next weekend and the whole shooting match will begin in earnest the first week of April.

I put my order in for warmer dry spring weather ...

·
Registered
944 Posts
Capt. Ed,
What are the rules/regs for fishing the flats. I am aware of the required boat lic. to cover the fishermen onboard, but what of circle hooks ,all catch and release etc..
Thanks

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
Capt Ed - make that a double order for some warm dry conditions:)

Bravo - circke hooks are required when bait fishing and strictly catch & release from Lapidum state park in the susky river all the way down to a line (marked with buoys) between Turkey Point and Sandy Point. I believe the season ends May 3rd ish, but may be extended if water temps are below 65 degrees. Opens back up May 16 - 24th I believe for catch and keep - 1 fish per person in the 16-28 in range. I'm not 100% sure of the above dates and sizes, so make sure you double check for yourself on MD DNR website. Thought I'd pass on some info to give you an idea.

·
Registered
944 Posts
DEEP POCKETS said:
Capt Ed - make that a double order for some warm dry conditions:)

Bravo - circke hooks are required when bait fishing and strictly catch & release from Lapidum state park in the susky river all the way down to a line (marked with buoys) between Turkey Point and Sandy Point. I believe the season ends May 3rd ish, but may be extended if water temps are below 65 degrees. Opens back up May 16 - 24th I believe for catch and keep - 1 fish per person in the 16-28 in range. I'm not 100% sure of the above dates and sizes, so make sure you double check for yourself on MD DNR website. Thought I'd pass on some info to give you an idea.
Thanks,DP, I will check and I too think there is that short Keeper window.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts