BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I spent a lot of time lurking around the old posts on vises and even more time on Ebay looking for a deal. Finally settled on a Renzetti Presentation 4000 and a bunch of tools for less than a new presentation alone. Really nice vise, a little older so a lot of brass, which I like, in very excellent condition.

So here is my very first. A little night clouser. I was given "50 years behind the vise" for Christmas and have been studying. The kit I bought came with some smaller hooks so I decided to practice with them first. Overall length is 4 inches. Fished it last night for about two hours at BP, didn't expect anything but the water was very clear and the night was beautiful. Good to get out in the fresh air.

Oakman

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Good luck with the new vise. If that is your first tie ever, that looks pretty good. Remember Clousers are supposed to be tied sparsely. They are kind of whispy. Bob Clouser showed me how to tie one, when I lved in PA. He added a few xtra strands of flash too. Said he liked them flashy.

I am sure when the spring comes you will take one on that pattern

Good Luck!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Gents

Pete, there is a little silver crystal flash in there as well as some red flashabu, did not show in the pic so well. Yes, he mentions in the video several times about the sparse factor. I'll have to work on that.

Oh well, guess I'll have to tie another. . .:p

O

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Thanks Gents

Pete, there is a little silver crystal flash in there as well as some red flashabu, did not show in the pic so well. Yes, he mentions in the video several times about the sparse factor. I'll have to work on that.

Oh well, guess I'll have to tie another. . .:p

O
Not to worry, I really think it is more important to make them real sparse for freshwater.
I saw the flash in there, I was just saying maybe a couple more strands of Krystal flash, but it looks great for the first one:thumbsup:

·
Registered
8,025 Posts
For your first fly, you did a great job. I am sure it will catch. Now you are on your way to making a whole bag full of flies. It looks a lot better than my first fly and that crappy fly caught fish. I wish I would of kept the first fly I made. You might want to just hold on to it and make others.

You can make some sparse, and some thicker and try a number of different matterials.

There is nothing like catching a fish on a fly you have made. It does wonders for your confidence.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
CMR

Yes, I thought about putting it away. I wanted to catch a fish with it and then put it up but perhaps it should just go away.

My 2 year old daughter is fascinated by the vise and tools, we have clipped apart several feathers already, given the rotary a good work out and made a horrible tangle out of one of my bobbins. I don't mind a bit, she'll be tying by 3. I thought I might put this one away for her when she's really ready.

Thanks for the encouragement, I am very much looking forward to landing a fish on my own fly.

O

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
Looks good to me, nice job.

Russ

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
CMR

Yes, I thought about putting it away. I wanted to catch a fish with it and then put it up but perhaps it should just go away.

My 2 year old daughter is fascinated by the vise and tools, we have clipped apart several feathers already, given the rotary a good work out and made a horrible tangle out of one of my bobbins. I don't mind a bit, she'll be tying by 3. I thought I might put this one away for her when she's really ready.

Thanks for the encouragement, I am very much looking forward to landing a fish on my own fly.

O
put it away, and pull it out in a few years and check your progression. You'll be amazed. however for a 1st tie, it looks great..

·
Registered
228 Posts
Oakman,

That's a super nice first tie. Looks like you're a natural.

Hold on to that one. I still have my first trout flies that I tied when I was like 10.

It's cool to see the progress you make.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I agree as well, if thats a first tie thats killer. And I agree with the guys, save the pattern to look back too. (tie another just like it an fish that one). I have some patterns I tied when I was 14, its cool to look back at them.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everyone!

I will take the collective sage advice of the group and put this one away. It is indeed my first tie, however, is should note that I work with my hands every day doing carpentry and fine finishing so the hand to eye coordination is pretty well developed at this point. Might give me a little advantage, not sure.

Really looking forward to getting a day to just tie.

O

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
It's perfect Chris. Did you remember to put a dab of crazy glue over the eye wraps? Get yourself a drying wheel next, so you can coat your heads with epoxy, hard head or the like. Realy good job. I know guys that have been tying for years and don't tie a clouser as well.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Arggg. Nope, no glue on the eye thread, a little hard as hull on the eye hair. Glue on the eye thread it is meistro. Thanks.

He he he, I love the way personalities shine through. Clearly fishead is a fishaholic. "fish it boy, won't do ya no damn good settin on a shelf!". We shall see.

O

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Arggg. Nope, no glue on the eye thread, a little hard as hull on the eye hair. Glue on the eye thread it is meistro. Thanks.

He he he, I love the way personalities shine through. Clearly fishead is a fishaholic. "fish it boy, won't do ya no damn good settin on a shelf!". We shall see.

O
you got that right.
As your skills improve you will end up with many flies that if you don't use them now you will never use them. it is like that stack of mahogany trim scrap you couldn't bear to throw away but now it takes up space and you wonder when your going to clean up your shop of that stuff:D

·
Registered
14,002 Posts
My first sw fly was a butt ugly blue and white deceiver and one warm early fall evening, with wife and daughter watching, that fly caught my first striper of my life!

I do say fish it *and* keep it... I wish I still had that first fly... Unfortunatelý it got lost to a bluefish but have thought I should have saved it after thàt first striper.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.