BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Decided to go to a small lake and see what the fish were up to.
Cold front the other day had the fish up close to cover.
Caught around 5 fish or so.

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
Nice shot, way to go! Hope the real bass start biting soon....:D :cool:

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Steve-o said:
real bass....:D :cool:
Totally man. :D You have got to be tired of those swamp pike. :D
In week or two the striper game will be on.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Nicee fish, I went yesterday too, Only managed one small one.. Lost 2 other bass and a pickerel..Wasn't gettin' good hooksets for some reason..What is that you're usin'.. I can't really tell.

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BassAssassin8 said:
Nicee fish, I went yesterday too, Only managed one small one.. Lost 2 other bass and a pickerel..Wasn't gettin' good hooksets for some reason..What is that you're usin'.. I can't really tell.
YUM Houdini Shad. My cousin gave me a bunch. Nice heavy plastic.

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
insomniac said:
Totally man. :D You have got to be tired of those swamp pike. :D
In week or two the striper game will be on.
I sure am, they can only get so big...:D Can't wait for those stripes!!!

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Thanks, they look nice, I might pick up a pack of those.. Kinda look like the mans hard nose assassins

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sandwashslugger said:
Nice fish, but try not to lie the fish down on the ground. :)
I think the fish will be fine. :)

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
sandwashslugger said:
Nice fish, but try not to lie the fish down on the ground. :)
Not this again.....so how about when you are surf fishing and reel the fish up in the surf through the sand? Are we supposed to magically levitate the fish?

I'm sure you meant this somewhat tongue-in-cheek, but I was the victim of several personal attacks last year because I gracefully laid a fish down for 3 seconds to snap a quick photo. I was told that every fish I laid down likely died because of this, that, and the other. I've only met Dan (insomniac) once or twice, but he's a standup guy and I know he is careful with the delicate fish that is being caught and released. Sorry to hijack, but I have a short fuse when people criticize others for snapping a quick pick. I think a sharp hook to the jaw is going to do more damage than a fish laying on some soft grass for a quick pic. It's not like he laid it on a bed of thorns or held it with a rag to wash off the protective 'slime' that coats the fish.

Nice fish Dan! Hope to cross paths again this year. Another week or two :)

·
Registered
523 Posts
Im not trying to make a big deal about anything, but it is pretty widely accepted that touching, netting, or laying on grass does indeed remove protective slime coating which can lead to infection. So while I am not too concerned over this one fish, it is not wise to encourage this type of fish handling.

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
I've been catching picks for about 10 years now and every year atleast a few times i take single fish out of the water, lay them on land, boat, or net to take photos and they are fine. I only fish small areas for picks and they come back stronger and stronger every year. Let it go, nice fish insomniac! :cool:

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Geez you guys are a little sensitive. I am just giving my opinion. Its widely accepted that laying a fish on pretty much any surface can be detrimental to their health. They are already stressed from being caught, and then they have a good amount of their slime coat removed which makes them prone to disease and infection. And just because you lay a fish on the ground here and there and they come back stronger and stronger every year doesnt really mean anything. Again, I am not trying to be a jerk but its kind of common sense and I thought more people would understand this by now. I am not saying that every fish will die from it, and that dead fish will be disastrous, but numerous people using this technique can make quite a large impact. Sorry for the rant.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
I think its better for the to lay it down on the grass than to lip it like everyone else does. Fish cant support their internal organs held like that out of water, more so with bigger fish but I think he was much happier layin on the grass then feeling his internals sag.

RyanF

·
Registered
527 Posts
RyanF said:
I think its better for the to lay it down on the grass than to lip it like everyone else does. Fish cant support their internal organs held like that out of water, more so with bigger fish but I think he was much happier layin on the grass then feeling his internals sag.

RyanF
great quote by teddy roosevelt on your posts

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Hmm, never heard that before, but that could always be a possibility. I would think a fish on the ground would have trouble supporting its own organs, kind of like how beached whales die when they are beached because of internal compression.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
sandwashslugger said:
Hmm, never heard that before, but that could always be a possibility. I would think a fish on the ground would have trouble supporting its own organs, kind of like how beached whales die when they are beached because of internal compression.
I cant say that it is a huge factor with a small LMB like that, but its a problem that has come up with the boga grip. Holding large fish vertical by the lip and letting them hang, they lose their natural bouyancy from being in the water and naturally their internals are not really made to support the full force of gravity. Could be hogwash, but if your are going to lip a decent fish you might as well cradle the belly with the other hand too.

RyanF

1 - 20 of 25 Posts