BASS BARN banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, i have been reading the forums for a little while and finally decided to put up a post.

Until last year i had a bit of a routine, shad in the spring, smallmouth bass and chain pickerel in the summer, and a little bit of fly fishing for atlantic salmon in the fall.

A friend of mine at work introduced me to striper fishing last summer, and i never looked back. I dont know if i even want to fish for anything else now. The guy i went with told me that the best time is in the fall but people on the forum seem to be having some good luck in the spring. As soon as i am finished university for the year i intend to hit the beach!

I am fishing in Nova Scotia Canada so the runs may be a bit different here. We usually fish with a mackerel rig; 3 separate hooks (cut off the feathers and a 2 ounce weight on the bottom. This gives you a chance to use 3 different types of bait. We generally use squid, and sometimes pieces of the cod that we catch when the stripers arent biting. After doing a bit of research i think i might try using some live crab. Anyone have any luck with live crab, and any insight into how spring and fall striper tactics differ would be great. Thanks for reading and good luck on the water to all!

Chris

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
Welcome to the Barn north of the border.

We picked a winning number this morning. It was 5540 so you need to get down here and buy all us Barners a drink. CONGRATULATIONS on the win. :D

·
Registered
379 Posts
Welcome cdn,

I remember catching these nasty little toothy sea perch in NS and PEI when I was a kid. Still love that trip! We fish with crabs all the time. Soft crabs are great for stripers, but hard crabs work also. Dig up a few of those spitting clams and try them also!!! Good luck up there! Pig

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the welcome chunk. You have to remember im a poor *** university student now
Give me a year or so and ill grab a round......provided i can hitch a ride on someones boat to see how the American waters compare

thanks for the info pig, i know a good spot to get some crabs (other than after a night of drinking....if you do, raid doesnt work it STINGS! true story not myself though
). Im not sure if they are hard or soft shells or how to tell, but i will try it out.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thx harris.

Im actually trying to figure out when the stripers arrive here
I just started fishing for them last year. I think they have to make it past all of you guys before they get here anyways ;)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hey joe, ill keep everyone updated and hopefully i can hook into more than one keeper this year

It usually ranges between about 20-30C or 70-90F in the summer. So not too cold

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.