BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Made my first serious effort today at catching an early season Striper today.....

Didn't find any real bloodworms, so I brought along a bag of those artificial worms. Also tossed a Pink Finness on a 3/8 jighead, Pink 4" Storm Shad, and various colors of Slug-go's.....(((NOTHING)))

Water was very clean in this particular spot, but no sign of bait, or anything chasing bait. Didn't really matter, it was great getting out next to the water, and wetting a line.

I will only go so far as to say this was in the back bay, west of the Parkway in the general vicinity of where three rivers open up into a bay....anything further would constitute spot burning......:naughty:

Might try an different area all together tomorrow.....assuming the wife doesn't have other plans.....:)

·
Registered
14,002 Posts
thanks for the report. the only serious effort I did today was to drive around the brigantine bird sanctuary taking notes of what we saw.

did not see the eagle which is in the vicinity, but 2 osprey nests were built, 1 occupied by a couple, had 1 fly slowly right in front of our vehicle while watching a distant flock of snow geese.

among other birds identified, also spotted a Bufflehead, a first for my wife or I:

but .... no fishing yet.

I'll be starting the herring hunt or hit a trout stream this week, depending on schedule.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I made it out for the first time today as well... i focused most of my time on artificials (pink Fin-S mostly) but my girlfriend had a real bloodworm dunked at all times and neither of us had anything. Either im doin somethin wrong or the water is just too damn cold yet for my area.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I plan on heading out in the wee hours of the morning. I'll problably make it to bed about 11pm and sleep for a few hours before heading out. I'm not sure where I'm going to head out to. I used to fish 9th St going into OC, but with the construction going on , they are giving out citations for trespassing.(or rumor has it).

I'll post a report tomorrow am.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just found out I'll be having the entire week off from work....(on vacation from Job #1, and things are slow at job #2).....

Guess who will be doing a lot of fishing this week.....:D

I just hope the fish show up to this party......:bow:

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I plan on heading out in the wee hours of the morning. I'll problably make it to bed about 11pm and sleep for a few hours before heading out. I'm not sure where I'm going to head out to. I used to fish 9th St going into OC, but with the construction going on , they are giving out citations for trespassing.(or rumor has it).

I'll post a report tomorrow am.
Al.....

Up til last year they were turning a blind eye to those of us sneaking through the construction zone to access those prime fishing areas, now that the project has accelerated and they have that area ripped to shreds, it's totally off limits from land, and they have gotten quite strict about fishermen trying to access it.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Al.....

Up til last year they were turning a blind eye to those of us sneaking through the construction zone to access those prime fishing areas, now that the project has accelerated and they have that area ripped to shreds, it's totally off limits from land, and they have gotten quite strict about fishermen trying to access it.
Two years ago, they were very serious. I got charged with "Defiant Trespassing" while walking back to my van. Since then, I've kept away from the area. It's a shame because there was a few spots that I did great at.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
I made it out for the first time today as well... i focused most of my time on artificials (pink Fin-S mostly) but my girlfriend had a real bloodworm dunked at all times and neither of us had anything. Either im doin somethin wrong or the water is just too damn cold yet for my area.
If you're talking about your general area, I talked to a Capt from the Fortescue area at the Millevile flea market this morning. He said the water temps were around 40. IMO you will do better when the water trends upward in the mid 40's. Find a site that gives water temp reading for your exact area and check it religiously.

Another thing to remember is that generally speaking, the flats will be a few degrees warmer than the temp listed by the gauge. I did a bit of driving in s jersey today and found some interesting pieces of water, by flats, bridges, etc. These 2 days Sat, and Sun, should warm some flat areas up enough that more people should be reporting fish by Mon.

I would continue to fish the area you know best. Also scout some flats areas that are adjacent to the deeper channels, or near concrete structure.

Bloodworms will sometimes outfish clams, but they're expensive. '"There was a thread on here of some B&T selling bloods pretty cheap, see if you can pick up a dozen next time you go out. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Two years ago, they were very serious. I got charged with "Defiant Trespassing" while walking back to my van. Since then, I've kept away from the area. It's a shame because there was a few spots that I did great at.
Akozols, I'm curious as to the fine you had to pay for that, because I do the same thing up north. A friend once got nailed and had to pay $1000. Do you mind sharing what the fine amount was? thanks

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
It's a shame that some really good spots in that area have been wiped out by the construction. I remember some epic fishing for everything from blackfish and triggers, to weakfish and bass at the old OC Longport Bridge that will never happen again. Just like there were also some spots along the causeway where you could almost always pull a fish or two from.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I remember that Al, and was surprised by it since I along with many others parked at the old information center, and crossed the construction zone to access the sod banks on the other side. If that was all you were doing, then you shouldn't of received a citation, however if you were witnessed fishing from one of the construction barges, or from the bridge itself, then I can understand why they nailed you.
It's irrelevant now that phase 2 has started, there's still one or two spots that "might" be accessible after hours, but I'd be darn careful where you tread now, it's pretty much "take no prisoners" with enforcement......:thumbsdown:
There's several other spots in and around the O.C. / Somers Pt. area that you can access from land, and those spots should be more productive at this time of year anyway. For obvious reasons I won't spell them out here as it would constitute spot burning, send me an e-mail, and I'll enlighten you a bit in private.....;)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Speaking Of the OC / Longport Bridge, is fishing around that area productive for Stripers? One would think that since it is virtually a huge canal going from the ocean to the back bays, you could slam em... But Never have not tried there yet. Any one have any luck around there?

·
Registered
484 Posts
Jay Ive seen a couple nice fish caught there but it was late summer early fall, not sure how it is in the spring.

Dark skies, i bought a thermometer yesterday for that exact purpose then forgot to put it in my tackle bag :nuts:... probably wont make it back on the water till spring break in a couple weeks so that should give the water a lil time to warm up....

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Akozols, I'm curious as to the fine you had to pay for that, because I do the same thing up north. A friend once got nailed and had to pay $1000. Do you mind sharing what the fine amount was? thanks

I was very lucky. When the judge was told that I was just fishing, he only fined me $25 plus $25 court cost. Still I had to go to court twice to plead my case.

·
Registered
6,046 Posts
I will only go so far as to say this was in the back bay, west of the Parkway in the general vicinity of where three rivers open up into a bay....anything further would constitute spot burning......:naughty:

Might try an different area all together tomorrow.....assuming the wife doesn't have other plans.....:)
Nice Tony. I wish everyone gave "general locations" like you. I know that spot:wave:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.