BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Gave it a shot for a few hours this afternoon after losing a decent one this past Saturday at the same spot.:rolleyes: Fishing the Jersey side bank south of the CBB. First one was a monster 10" er:D , 2nd was 18", and the third was a nice fat 25". All shorts but still great to see those beautiful linesiders again.:) Had some giant white perch harrassing the baits for a short while, but not too bad. They split when the bigger stripers showed up. Saw another fellow also catch 25" and another guy got a 27"er.

One guy kept a short, put it in his cooler in his car and he was warned by some pissed off anglers to release it.:mad: He refused and they called the cops on him. He split in a hurry but they got his tag numbers. Cops came down too. Pretty cool to see!

BTW, I was using bloods on circle hooks, which worked out good since most were light bites. J hook baitrunner rod never hooked up. It should get really good with warming temps.;)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Good report, congrats.
A few more warm days and we will be on.
Good for the cops, the guy may think twice about keeping a short around other guys.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
What, no phone??:confused: I did not get a call?? Too far to go now???:D

Good going anyway:)

·
Registered
497 Posts
Fin,
Glad you guys were there to set that moron straight.Nice to see people patroling each other on the river. Nobody should keep any on the river this time of year even if it is legal until April 1st,on the Pensy side anyway. I would loose those J hooks if I were you though. Big no no on the river this time of year.

·
Registered
9,922 Posts
Thanks for the report we fish between the CBB & the WW and not much action for us yet on both sides of the river. The chester trout and cats have been hitting but not much Striper yet. I'm gonna head out today even if I get wet. Awesome job on calling the man on the guy who took the short fish. I hope I run into that hammer sometime every once and a while I have these errand cast that hit idiots. You know the ones that smack em in the head with a 3oz disk and a gami 5/0 that is attached to 40lb braid hooks clothing, ears or lips! lol Nice job guys

Jersey Mike

·
Registered
24,070 Posts
finaddict5 said:
Had some giant white perch harrassing the baits for a short while, but not too bad. They split when the bigger stripers showed up.
Don't hesitate to live-line the white perch. I've caught some decent stripers on them.
They were chowing down on my bloodworms and I said Eff you, you're going in...:D

·
Registered
12,976 Posts
ReadyJettyGo is right. Use the white perch for bait. Just cut off the top fin. You will have a better chance of catching a bigger fish with the bigger bait this time of year.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Good friggin job Fin... There was a guy down UPS 2 days ago cooking everything he caught right there on the spot he cooked two cats and I left..Ewww.... I have been thinking of live hooking eels there is ALOT in the river this year, already caught 6 or 8 of them my self this ... They are actually a salt water species that migrates to fresh water for a cpl years to mature or something like that.. I gotta read bout'm again pretty intresting stuff tho...

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
rocky said:
ReadyJettyGo is right. Use the white perch for bait. Just cut off the top fin. You will have a better chance of catching a bigger fish with the bigger bait this time of year.
Why cut off the top fin??

·
Registered
870 Posts
BobEver said:
Top fin is sharp and spikey, oft times a striper will hit the perch, get stuck with a spine, and spit it.
I also cut off most of the tail fin, that way they flop around like there wounded and it's an easy target for the stipped ones.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Nice way to break the ice.
Hey nice post but where are the pictures. :D YOu know the ones that are all blacked out so we can't tell where that special secret spot is that only you and your 20 or 30 closest friends know about:D :D . Hey hopefully I will be able to join you on Sat if the weather holds.

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
channel runner said:
Fin,
Glad you guys were there to set that moron straight.Nice to see people patroling each other on the river. Nobody should keep any on the river this time of year even if it is legal until April 1st,on the Pensy side anyway. I would loose those J hooks if I were you though. Big no no on the river this time of year.

Must be Pensy thing because...

Directly fom NewJersey Fishing Regulations fo Deleware River on page 24 of the Fish and Wildlife Digest:
"To protect spawning striped bass, from the Calhoun Street Bridge near Trenton downstream to the Commodore Barry Bridge at Bridgeport, non-offset circle hooks must be used when using bait
with a #2 sized hook or larger, from April 1 to May 30."

So if I read the digest correctly, J hooks of any size are permitted and no NJ fishing liscense is required to fish from from the bank of the Deleware River in NJ south of the CBB in at any time. How bout dem apples!:D ;)

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Way to go bry
Definatly give the perch a try, we've had days in maryland where we couldn't find spots but got some small perch, cut the dorsal off, droped em down and caught

I'm all skunks on the striped ones so far
Couple catties by the betsy ross

·
Registered
9,922 Posts
3/27 Went out today after low tide with it coming up. I fished for a cpl of hrs with only one Chester trout. I ran two rods, one with bloods...white perch were nibbling awawy at almost a dollar a worm! I watched a bunch of schools of perch swim by just flashing awawy. I had one small striper jump out of the river in the mix of perch. Than all of a sudden I got to see a huge striper's back half as it turned back down and its tail was huge.. like shamoo huge outta the water. Woohooo was my heart racing but of course I had my tackle bag that is for bait fishing only! It gave me some hope because I have been snake bitten on the stripers in the river this year so far...not even a schooly yet! I will try to get out the next three days rain or shine.

Jersey Mike

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
missingtwo said:
3/27 Went out today after low tide with it coming up. I fished for a cpl of hrs with only one Chester trout. I ran two rods, one with bloods...white perch were nibbling awawy at almost a dollar a worm! I watched a bunch of schools of perch swim by just flashing awawy. I had one small striper jump out of the river in the mix of perch. Than all of a sudden I got to see a huge striper's back half as it turned back down and its tail was huge.. like shamoo huge outta the water. Woohooo was my heart racing but of course I had my tackle bag that is for bait fishing only! It gave me some hope because I have been snake bitten on the stripers in the river this year so far...not even a schooly yet! I will try to get out the next three days rain or shine.

Jersey Mike
Great report Mike!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts