BASS BARN banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard that Gordons on West Chester Pike in Marple are closing their doors next fri the 13 i know they were not sponsers on here but they sure helped us guys from Delaware County out alot, especially for fresh water. Another mom and pop shop closing :( :( :(

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
Yeah, they're done. The store near Marsh Creek is staying open, "for now". I like the store in Eagle because the same guys have been there for years. Their prices are good. They usually have what you need, moreso than a big chain. They even have saltwater stuff.

They were hung up in some deal with "Avis", something like that, and it didn't work out so well. Cost them alot of money for very little in return, except alot of junk. They're finally out of that, but it hurt them for a while. I hope they can make it.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Unfortunately, that is what happens when we all buy from cabela's and bass pro. we need to support our sponsors and local shops or all of us will have nothing but the big box stores.

where do freshwater folks get bait when they are gone? Last I looked, the closest box store with good bait is an hour from me. that is a far run for minnies!!

frightening look into the future.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
The internet took a big bite too over the last few years.Sadly it has effected some of the older local shops.And with some of the cost increases from the live bait dealers ,trying to make a buck or two off that is difficult and has just about driven in the final nail of the coffin on alot of places...

I try every year to spread the wealth around to
the local B&T's,but I am quilty of shopping online and hitting the big chain stores looking
for better deals on tackle and supplies also.

·
Registered
356 Posts
It's a bummer to hear that Gordon's is closing. Really unfortunate that a lot of small B&T's are getting forced to close.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
I just returned from Gordon's. It is a shame to lose a local guy. One guy there said they are retiring and did not want to sell the business to anyone else. He said a key factor was the cheaper reels that changed parts and colors every year made it difficult to service the reels at a reasonable price.
They have signs up - everything 20% off. A lot of metal (Deadly Dicks) and Chubb poppers.
I would hate to have a business and compete with Dick's, Walmart, internet, etc...
Anyone want to service my Pflueger reels I bought at Gordon's???

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
Originally posted by Partnership:
Amen to that Chris!!!

And while we're all at it- stop eating at chain restaurants! LOL
;)
Amen to that TOM

And while we're all at it- Stop using clam bellies hehehehehehe

1 - 15 of 15 Posts