BASS BARN banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And I got the skunkola! But it was all my fault... call it rookie mistakes. After some suggestions from a friend I got a baitcaster combo at an incredible price, an ABU Silver Max with a Berkely Lightning Rod for $19.99 after $20 rebate!!!

I was at a local lake where i've caught plenty of bass and i missed the 1st solid hook up because I had the drag set to light :nuts:and another one because in rushing i rigged my creature bait a little too weedless :huh:.

On the plus side I love the combo, and thanks too some tips from youtube I only had 2 small birdsnest out of my first 30-40 cast :thumbsup: . Fish were picking bugs off the surface all around me but I had to call my sunset fishing earlier then I wanted to after about 40 min. Mosquitoes were just getting too vicious, planning on trying again tomorrow and hitting it full force.
Any other tips for baitcast neos are appreciated.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was at Dick's, it was marked as $59.99 but when i got to the register the guy told me I couldn't use my coupon because it wasn't over $50. I asked could I still use the rebate and he said yes:thumbsup:. I sent it in and got an email saying the check is on the way this morning.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
When casting overhead try turning the reel sideways. This let's gravity do some of the braking for you.

·
Registered
291 Posts
i got the same combo last year. imo that reel sucks. i do, however, use an abu garcia record for bucktailing for fluke and cant say enough good stuff about it. are you using braid or mono? braid is alot easier to untangle nests.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Turning the reel sideways is DEFINITELY a big help. I discovered on my own and then had it confiormed by Jimmy Houston that since I'm a lefty using using a right-handed reel, my reels should be facing downward rather than upward (or vice-versa).

·
Registered
97 Posts
It was at Dick's, it was marked as $59.99 but when i got to the register the guy told me I couldn't use my coupon because it wasn't over $50. I asked could I still use the rebate and he said yes:thumbsup:. I sent it in and got an email saying the check is on the way this morning.
wait, $59.99-$20 rebate = $39.99 How'd you get it to $19.99?

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
I think the orig price was $59, but was reduced and not marked accordingly (VERY common at dicks), down to $39 and then he used the rebate.

I can't wait to try a baitcaster, but i'm not at that level yet...

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Dude, get out and try it. There's no "level" as it takes practice just like going from a zebco to a spinning reel. The only problem is the punishment for a mistake is more severe. :D

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the advice, gonna head out for an hour or so now. I'll let you know how it goes!

I think the orig price was $59, but was reduced and not marked accordingly (VERY common at dicks), down to $39 and then he used the rebate.
BINGO It rang up for $39.99!

·
Registered
499 Posts
Im just learning baitcasters as well. The main thing I noticed is that you have to release the line much earlier during your casting motion than a spinning rod. I cant pitch for the life of me.

One of the veteran baitcasters here should hold a seminar one day at a local lake.:D

·
Registered
13 Posts
got the same combo....

I bought the same combo last year at Dicks.
I think it cost me $59.00.
I like both the rod and reel however I too am new to bait-casters and I still birds-nest the damn thing pretty regularly myself. 35 years of fishing with spinning gear and I can drop a mepps on a quarter at 15 yards, but the bait-caster is much more challenging. Last year I spent a couple afternoons at a school-yard with my medium rod and and old Penn Levelwind determined to learn and I finally figured it out. For years I just wouldn't touch a bait-caster...now I"m glad I did. I like the feel and can understand the line-control some of the pros talk about. Still - I have not mastered it by a longshot, I'm very much a novice.
Course it could be the Abu SilverMax reel that gives me problems.....I acquired a second-hand Shimano Calcutta 250 for my 7' salt pole and wow that baby casts really smooth! I haven't had it out yet in the water and only have a few dozen practice casts on the dirt with it, but you can feel that the Calcutta is in a different league than the SilverMax. Only time will tell. I'm still learning.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I did better today! Turning the reel to the side made a big difference. THNX:thumbsup: I'm getting the hang of it pretty quick. That backlash tip was one of the ones I saw on youtube, another was to let off 1.5 to 2 cast worth of line then put scotch tape on the spool then wind line over it. This keeps any backlashes from being to severe!

I'm not expecting this to be my last baitcaster (I already wanna see what all the fuss about these REVO's is about) but I think it is good for a beginer who wasn't sure if they would like it, especially at this price. Which was at the Dick's in May's Landing.

Today's pay off!!!

Caught around 8pm right on the edge of that weedline in the background, on a modified 10" slugo Arkansas Shiner color(green bottom silver top) I split the tail to make it dance a little more, wacky rigged and worked slow like a jerk bait.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
I can't believe how much I've come to rely on baitcasters over the last few months. I often travel with 8 to 10 rods these days with only two being spinning rods (which often don't even get picked up). What the dillio??

712 Posts
steve, what kind of baitcasters do you have? well specifically what ones did you have the least trouble with learning? because a friend of mine wants to start fishing with baitcasters, and im not sure in which direction to point him like which specific models are easier for learning on. and i know you didnt learn to long ago, and are now pretty skilled with one.thanks steve! i love reading your posts!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts