BASS BARN banner

First Tropical Storm Of 06 (what A Bummer!)

2K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  Hooligan 
#1 ·
WOW this storm is gonna kill at least 7-8 days of offshore opportunity. Man I am gonna have to dust off the golf gear!! Or just re-rig my entire boat and tackle. Definetly going to have a lot of time to catch up on just about everything.

I hope this isn't a sign!!!

SAL G

PS The wife is all smiles today............:confused:

#3 ·
Like I Always Say To You Davey One And A Halve P%$$,

I Am Always Working, Even When I'm Knapping.

Don't Worry I Didn't Have It All Figured Out At Your Age Either!!!

Sal G, AKA Sally Bag Of Donuts As My Pal Ford Refers To Me As.
That's Right Ford (the Bird Man From Breille)AKA THE SPLASH GUY!!!!

#10 ·
OK...I meant why can't you fish??? Already (the same day of the storm) the dominent wave period is up to 8 seconds...probably fishable now.

I've had great days the day after a storm goes by...yeah maybe 15 foot waves but the period is so long (in excess of 12 seconds) that it wasn't uncomfortable at all.....

Just keep an eye on the period...once it gets up past 6 seconds for under 5 footers or past 10 seconds for over 5s...you are pretty much looking at swells...not rough waves.....

I was out to Five Fathom this morning towing a comm. boat in and it wasn't reall all that bad....by late tonight I'll bet it's pleasant.....

#11 ·
Capt. Scott,

I live for the offshore troll. But I have been out when those big swells run into a stray thunderstorm. And then you have a larger version of the Hawain Pipeline!! No thanks I'll wait!!

Years ago when I used to charter a little the old timers used to say to me."young man it was nice knowing you" well I know exactly what they are talking about now!!! I fish for fun, no need to fish on those days the fish will be there the next day too.

SAL G

#12 · (Edited)
Well...I got a lot of time on the water and am very safety oriented...sorry you are convinced you need to throw a bunch of perfectly fishable days away.....

look at the offshore buoy reports....already below 4 feet and 7 second periond 26 off DelBay and 33 off long island.....sounds nice enough to me....and it's only the day after....

#13 ·
I agree!

I believe what Sal meant was that if there is A good chance of A severe thunder storm and you are already out in A forcasted 6+ swell things can turn ugly very quickly!I know from personal experience what it feels like to be caught in 40+knot squalling winds and torential downpouring rains 70+off in A CC and it is no fun.so why take the chance?dont get me wrong if I had A larger express or conv.40 or better I wouldnt be so concerned but when you are running A cc nomatter how big,there is a point when things can be A little uncomfortable especially when the seas are busting over your bow:eek: .there are way to many nice days to take A chance going on the wrong day!

#14 ·
i dont know i am leaning towards sunday being fishable with the reports im getting from the bouys come on how many times has noaa said dont go and it was a great fishable day i dont take chances but i will play it by ear for sunday ....:) anybody else thinking of sunday also

#15 · (Edited)
I guess it's all a matter of perception...if you think a hurricane or tropical storm has lasting effects for 7-8 days .....well not much I can do about it but fish with the others who know better... go look through the other posts about people heading offshore....

Thunderstorms can be bad at anytime and yes added to a big swell I guess could be trouble....but based on what I know and what I've read...it doesn't look all that bad this weekend except for the southwesterly preceding the cold front.....and the random thunderstorm if you get caught in it....

It's the frontal passage this weekend that may kick things up...not leftovers of the tropical storm.....and predicting full effects of a frontal passage are hit or miss at best as we have seen...if the front slows or stalls the slightest bit...the offshore forecast will change dramatically.....

#17 ·
Now that is somebody who has probably talked to GOD out there too, like I have, twice in fact!!!!

The last time I made a promise I have no intentions of ever breaking!!!:eek:

SAL G

#18 ·
question

Capt. Scott said:
I guess it's all a matter of perception...if you think a hurricane or tropical storm has lasting effects for 7-8 days .....well not much I can do about it but fish with the others who know better... go look through the other posts about people heading offshore....

Thunderstorms can be bad at anytime and yes added to a big swell I guess could be trouble....but based on what I know and what I've read...it doesn't look all that bad this weekend except for the southwesterly preceding the cold front.....and the random thunderstorm if you get caught in it....

It's the frontal passage this weekend that may kick things up...not leftovers of the tropical storm.....and predicting full effects of a frontal passage are hit or miss at best as we have seen...if the front slows or stalls the slightest bit...the offshore forecast will change dramatically.....
How about the tail end of the storm,and the vortex it may Draw with the other system over the ohio valley,gragging with it other cells of thunder storms and winds ?????

Ive been watching this !

Is there a chance that this will happen ?

what are your thaought as of Today Saturday for Sunday ???

#19 ·
Definetly a lot of different things can happen many things to consider. Still have not decided on tommorow. May switch from a canyon troll to an inshore troll/chunk combo! Inside 30 fthoms should be doable?:rolleyes:

#20 · (Edited)
I was more comfortable yesterday for Sunday Than i am Today,waiting to see what Today Brought ...
as i looked today ,There is that Big system over the ohio V winds swiching to N Nw would bring cold air down No ?
making for the chance of severe thunder storms,

Im just trying to figure this one out and am by no means any type of expert !! Thats why i was asking Capt.Scott what his thoughts were ....Catain Kobey has Much more of a handle On these weather situations than Myself !But he had a late night last night,so i wont talk to him till later

So you Think its a go for you Sal?

as im typing this just 2 blocks from the bay and 4 miles from the ocean i can hear the thunder rolling ...

#22 ·
The low over the Ohio valley deepened quite a bit.... futher raising the wind speed probability in advance of the cold front. Sat may be a bit much wind/wave wise once the southwesterly kicks in.... I didn't find a suitable isobar map to see wha the gradient between this low and the high out west is...may not be to bad of a westerly/northwesterly after the cold front moves through...usually isn't this time of year....

Once the chop lays down from the southwesterly...offshore to 30 or so miles may fishable for all but the smallest of boats.....

#23 ·
Thanks !!

Capt. Scott said:
The low over the Ohio valley deepened quite a bit.... futher raising the wind speed probability in advance of the cold front. Sat may be a bit much wind/wave wise once the southwesterly kicks in.... I didn't find a suitable isobar map to see wha the gradient between this low and the high out west is...may not be to bad of a westerly/northwesterly after the cold front moves through...usually isn't this time of year....

Once the chop lays down from the southwesterly...offshore to 30 or so miles may fishable for all but the smallest of boats.....
i couldnt find an isobar Map as well !!
Boatersbax used to have a very nice detailed map,The map is there But no windbarbs:confused:

if anyone has another that is showing windbarbs Please share !!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.