1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
Someday we will learn not to s**t where we eat.

·
Registered
31,519 Posts
Don't believe a word of it.

The devil is in the untold details on this stuff. The way they test the fish is completely bogus. Everyone knows where the Mercury accumulates in fish and it's not in the flesh we eat. Do they test fillets? No they put an entire fish in a blender, guts, skin, bones and all. Also, last year the enviro's got NJ to increase the threshold by 10x's the fed limit.

It's all for shock value to get people to stop fishing.

CaptTB has lots of info on this and they've done real tests on the fish.

[ 03-05-2004, 02:52 PM: Message edited by: Bob ECT ]

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
What about all the fish that are caught commercially in the bay and nearby waters? Waht about the crabs Oyster, clams and conch, they are some of the most likely animals to concentrate these materials? Does that mean the the fish and shellfish that are sold commercially are poisoning people?

Just something to ponder :rolleyes:

·
Registered
31,519 Posts
Originally posted by Partnership:
Bob- I hope you're right!
I've been reading these advisories for years now. How do you know for sure that they grind the fish up?
They don't tell you that, but that's how they do it. Whole fish, right into a blender. They know the Mercury is in the bloodline, fatty tissue under the skin, brains and guts. Stuff we don't eat, yet they test it anyway.

CaptTB and the United Boatman have done alot of work on this. When you get the details of how they perform the tests and how they changed the thresholds it really makes you sick. It's very biased.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Anybody out there know of anyone coming down with mercury poison or an illness related to eating Striped Bass? I don't and don't beleive the hype. Like BOB said, and I've heard this before as well, the testing method is suspect in my mind as well. There is most likely a different motive behind this to issue such a statement.

How about the RFA issuing a statement not to eat fruits and vegetables because somebody used Horse crap to fertilize the plants and the horse ate feed from a field that had chemical fertilizer added to it which by itself would kock somone over in a second.

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
I'll keep this short : Guys take the blinders off . Seriously stop believing this BS this latest report is on like 4 web sites and a mass emailing ,was sent out .
Crabs live in crap and in the toxins oysters and clams do to but yet they don't have toxins . YYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
771 Posts
It is amazing that only fisherman are told of this, if true there should be signs in supermarkets like with ciggarets.

·
Registered
20,269 Posts
I just saw a follow up to the release on WPVI.. they interviewed a guy that caught a keeper striper from shore in the Delaware river on Monday.. he has it home in his freezer, and now does not know if he should eat it, or throw it back.. freeze and release?
...he was fishing a short rod with a Zebco from the riverbank....

By the way, did you read the top of the page? Looks like they reached out to all different kinds of folks for their opinion on issuing this joint warning:

Tom Fote of the Jersey Coast Anglers Association added "This is great news for recreational anglers, one message to those fishing and enjoying the resources of the Delaware Estuary. One common message in shared waters is a more effective strategy to inform the public."

Wonder what he was thinking....

By the way, I know from his talk at the last RFA meeting that Russ Allen is a regular here on TBB.. can we get a little inside news on this Russ? Even if it is just confirming the testing procedure so we can keep chowing down on the fillets? Darn, I really used to like crunching up those bones, skulls and spines with my back teeth before swallowing them...

·
Registered
13,030 Posts
I believe it was at the second Barnfest, I was talking to a Barner who had contracted the disease from stripers. He had to take antibiotics for 2 years, and it came back again. He said he had problems with his hands and joints. He said it was quite painful. HAPPY DAYS.

Ding

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.