BASS BARN banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
fished in Raccoon creek today. Got a few LMB, but have a bigger question. while casting rattle baits, we foulhooked fish I could not ID. If my camera phone was worth a crap, I'd post photos. My friend caught about 30 of them on Sun., all foulhooked. Fish was dark colored, big scales, all were around 1-2 lbs. very small mouth. thought it was some kind of shad, the fins and tail resembled one. tried a couple on google, no luck. help me satisfy my curiosity.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
sorry, phone stinks, no pics. I think its some kind of shad, from the fins and tail. very oily, had it all over my hands, like a bunker.
Can you describe the fins, tail? Were they soft, or did that also have spines? Was the tail forked, etc? Small dorsal fin, large, any info I could probably point in you in the right direction. I wanna say it is an American Shad or herring, something outta that family based on the fact you say that they had relatively large scales/oily.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
just checked out another web site. mouth on the fish I caught is different than that of a shad. the mouth kind of looks like a carp. also, on Sunday, they were in a large school, and were breaking water.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Yep, that'd be a gizzard shad..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.