BASS BARN banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Read a great article on how fish, birds, crabs etc. use the earths magnetic forces for migration. here is a link to a different article than the one I read but very interesting. The article I read mentioned the forces are not the exact pattern year after year which might explain why the bait and stripers do not always follow the exact same path but the destination is the same. They took a pigeon put in a box fresh air and shielded from any magnet forces took it on a long journey and released it only to have it find its way right back home, pretty amazing. They also stated that we could possibly use the forces for navigation with precision so no need for satellites. Enjoy :)

http://www.nsf.gov/news/news_summ.jsp?cntn_id=126720

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
About 15 years ago saw a program on how crabs know when to molt. They isolated some crabs - where you could not determine time of day, night,new or full moon and right on schedule they would shed (full moons). They determined -Magnetic Forces of the Earth.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Thanks for posting that article Tom. Always interesting to read these things. Here is a quote from the study:

This “field drift” accounted for about 16 percent of the variation in the migration route, Putman said, while variations in sea surface temperatures accounted for 22 percent. The interactive effect between these two variables accounted for an additional 28 percent of the variation in the migration route.

These things are always so difficult to study because of all the variables that are constantly changing in nature. In the world of fish, where their visual clues are short range, surely factors other then visual clues determine their long range migratory routes. Water temps surely come into play. Variations in bait availability most likely come into play as well. Often when I think about why fish move the way they do, I think about how factors such as moon phase driven bait movement, bait fish temperature tolerances and preference, bait species availability, and such. A study I read about striped bass showed that their natal propensity was sex related as well, with females much more likely to return the area of the river they were spawned in, whereas the males were much less specific.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes Harv always learning, knew you would enjoy. Guess it pays to read while in the doctors office. LOL Usually junk magazines but this one about nature caught my eye. Here is to a great season!!!!

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Interesting read,thanks for sharing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts