21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Originally posted by VDAWG:
bonefish
WE HAVE A WINNER :D !!!

I was in Bimini about 15 year back during on of the major tournaments that were held in the summer there. I beleive that it was The Bimini Big Game Open, at that time. One windy day while getting ready to board a skiff for a day of flats fishing, one of the capt's asked if i would save him a few Boneheads of about 5 lbs. I said "sure, but why?" He said , I'll show you later...

That evening, I show up with Bonefishs in hand, and he invites us aboard his :cool: 50' Buddy Davis :cool: for drinks and snacks. Keep in mind that these were boats that I had only seen in magazines at that tender yourn age. He then showed me how to rig "a Bonehead". He did not win the tournament, but to be in the company of the worlds finest big game boats, capts, and fishermen was an experience that I will remember forever.

Boat names such as :
Queen Annes Concrete Machine
Reel Fast
and many, many others...What a blast!

[ 01-20-2004, 05:46 AM: Message edited by: Frank Mihalic ]

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Hey, what's with all these tropical fish questions??? I'm feeling a little jealous right now...

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
Frank,I got lucky,i felt the way you said read it in full again,that the answer was in the question.where it said big blues(marlin) i thought could it be a regular bluefish,and where ya said deboned i thought of a bonefish,you also said trolled at high speeds,this kinda matched both,good one Frank,Vinny

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Actually Vinnie....I was referring to the practice of removing the backbone to make the bait swim freely, as they do with most larger trolling baits, unless live or very fresh.

Hey man, You got it right! Great Job!

Dave: Sorry bro....This has been a fun challenge for me. Pouring from my head is not always easy, but I have not cracked a book or searched a webpage to do this...It's sort of shoot from the Hip(KVW) ;) if you will...

I hope you guys like 'em!

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
Frank,i aslo loved the great story that you shared with us on how you came upon,hearing and learning how they trolled bonefish.I neaver heard of it before.Very enjoyable,Vinny Pastella

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Vinnie,
I'm real glad you enjoyed it! Fishing, like life, is a composition of experiences. Some good, some not so good....But it's the good that you remember so fondly! Life moves so fast(especially as I approach the big 40 ;) , that I need to slow down and remember all of the great times, great friends, and great fishing! I am truly a lucky man.
Thanks again for the compliment.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts