BASS BARN banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did an experiment before putting my tackle away for the winter. I took my three fish scales, and used a 2.5, 5, and 10 lb dumbbell to compare weights. Surprising (or not) the results were all different. The 5lb weight weighed 3.8 lbs on one scale, 4.7 on another, and 5.2 lbs on the third scale. The closest to accurate was my digital scale ranging + - 2 oz. The other two spring scales were off by as much as 1.5 lbs, which led me to realize that the biggest flounder I boated last year was actually closer to 7.5 lbs and not 6.5 lbs :D. I never understood why the state record program was so strict about weighing the fish, measuring, etc...but now I understand it all. Never assume your scale is right!!!!

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Some are in fact better than others. The brass drag ones are accurate but you really don't want to use them for fish. The best are the more expensive digital ones.

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
I have a 30lb and 50lb boga. They are both pretty accurate. I use the smaller one for weighing flounder and stripers up to 30lbs. Once I started catching stripers and drum over 30 lbs, I bought the 50lber. I have had a few drum easily bottom out the 50 lb boga

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
The only thing I use a scale for is checking and setting drags. I could care less how much a fish weighs unless it's huge and then I'm going to use someone's certified scale. I've caught most of my "once in a lifetime fish" so it takes a true trophy size fish to even make me even a little curious.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I rarely weigh fish too. I'm glad I really didn't waste my time because the data would have been wrong. The boga scales are way nicer than the cheap crap scales I was using. They had no problems finding the trash can in a hurry.

·
Registered
9,982 Posts
LOL so this just occurred to you? Besides an onboard weight (while bouncing offshore) is most always a little heavy.
If you want to have some fun, do the same thing with Certified scales. If you try three or more of them, even digital, you will probably get
three (or more) different weights!!! It's why contests take a "one and done" method. You can't re hang your fish to see what the (next) weight is !!!

Most older scales have a method to adjust their calibration.

·
Registered
879 Posts
They are all very inaccurate unless you keep them calibrated regularly which is very easy to do and then they are accurate even cheap scales.

·
Banned
3,917 Posts
They are all very inaccurate unless you keep them calibrated regularly which is very easy to do and then they are accurate even cheap scales.
Calibrating a cheap scale will only be as accurate as the scale you are calibrating it with and only at the weight you calibrated it at. say you calibrate a scale with a know weight of say a gallon of fresh water. This does not mean it will accurately weight 3 gallons of water. The bottom line is who really cares. I personally haven't weighed a fish in at least 30 years.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts