1 tbsp chopped cilantro
1/2 lime
1 ripe avocado
2 cups shredded cabbage
Cod or what ever fish you like
steamed tortillas
diced tomatoes
Lime for squeezing

First get all the batter ingredients together. In a medium bowl mix together the flour, baking powder, spices, beer, and egg yolk. If the mixture is too think, feel free to add a bit more beer, but don't let it get watery. It should be plenty thick to coat the fish.

Now cover the batter and let it sit in the fridge for at least 3 hours. You can even let it sit overnight or through the work day. As a variation you can whip an egg white into a thick froth and fold that in just before you dip the fish. This will make a deeper, lighter batter. (you dont always have to let it sit for 3 hrs if you dont have the time)

When you're ready to start cooking the fish, heat the oil (I use peanut oil) to 375 or so.

Sauce: Mix the mayo, cilantro, and enough lime juice to make it "saucy." Slice the avocado.

Slice the cabbage paper thin. And cut the fish into portions that will fit well in a taco after you fry them.

Once the oil is hot, dip the fish in the batter and get it well coated. Cook 1-3 slices at a time. Drop a slice into the oil while the batter is still dripping off and fry it for about 4-5 minutes, turning half way through. While the fish is cooking, go ahead and steam the tortillas.

And you're done! Grab a steamed tortilla, add a piece of fish, a couple slices of avocado, diced tomatoes, sprinkle on some cabbage, add sauce to taste, and just before you eat it, squeeze on some lime juice.

Enjoy.

·
Registered
376 Posts
You can do what smithwa said(which I will be trying) or simply blacken your catch and make taco's with it. If you dont' like blackened fish try any other seasonigs you like.

As far as I am concerned take some Everglades Cactus Dust Seasoning and season to taste(or any blackening seasoning for that matter), a touch of peanut oil, cast iron skillet, pan fry your catch, then follow the whole second part of smithwa's recipe. Your mouth will thank you:)

Work's great with redfish, dolphin, snook, bluefish, flounder, trout(weakfish).

·
Registered
840 Posts
Fish Tacos are my favorite. The key is the sauce and cabbage.

Buy a can of Goya chipolte peppers in adobo sauce. The small can will do. Take a pepper out, toss it in a food processor with some of the sauce from the can. Add sour cream and blend it up. Refrigerate. Shred cabbage (either or purple or green). Slice up some avocado. You can do tomatoes but I dont.

Cut fish into cubes (tuna is about as good as it gets) sprinkle with a little salt, chili powder, and a bit of red pepper if you like it hot. Sear the fish in a pan with oil. Dont overcook.

In your soft tortilla spoon some of the fish in, then some avocado. Add cabbage and then the chipolte sauce. Squeeze some lime over the top and enjoy with your beverage of choice.:)

·
Registered
52,618 Posts
smithwa said:
Batter
3/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp crushed oregano
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
salt & pepper as you like
1 egg yolk
4-6 oz beer (Sierra Nevada Pale Ale)

oil for frying
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 tbsp chopped cilantro
1/2 lime
1 ripe avocado
2 cups shredded cabbage
Cod or what ever fish you like
steamed tortillas
diced tomatoes
Lime for squeezing

First get all the batter ingredients together. In a medium bowl mix together the flour, baking powder, spices, beer, and egg yolk. If the mixture is too think, feel free to add a bit more beer, but don't let it get watery. It should be plenty thick to coat the fish.

Now cover the batter and let it sit in the fridge for at least 3 hours. You can even let it sit overnight or through the work day. As a variation you can whip an egg white into a thick froth and fold that in just before you dip the fish. This will make a deeper, lighter batter. (you dont always have to let it sit for 3 hrs if you dont have the time)

When you're ready to start cooking the fish, heat the oil (I use peanut oil) to 375 or so.

Sauce: Mix the mayo, cilantro, and enough lime juice to make it "saucy." Slice the avocado.

Slice the cabbage paper thin. And cut the fish into portions that will fit well in a taco after you fry them.

Once the oil is hot, dip the fish in the batter and get it well coated. Cook 1-3 slices at a time. Drop a slice into the oil while the batter is still dripping off and fry it for about 4-5 minutes, turning half way through. While the fish is cooking, go ahead and steam the tortillas.

And you're done! Grab a steamed tortilla, add a piece of fish, a couple slices of avocado, diced tomatoes, sprinkle on some cabbage, add sauce to taste, and just before you eat it, squeeze on some lime juice.

Enjoy.
CLAMMIN--COPY IT AND I HELP YOU MAKE THEM.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Real Deal Fish Tacos

This is my version of Fish Tacos that we served at a my restaurant for many years.

Any white fish will do for this recipe.

First make fresh Pico de gallo:
2 Chopped tomatoes
1 small chopped onion
Fresh cilantro
1 small jalapeno
lemon juice
lime juice
Salt and pepper - Be semi-generous with the salt as it really brings the flavor out

Spicy Sour Cream:

Asian Chile sauce mixed w/ sour cream. The more chile sauce the hotter the mix. NOt sure of the brand of chili sauce but it comes in a squezze bottle.

Next sautee the fish of choice in a pan with a couple pats of butter and a splash of olive oil, breaking the fish up while you cook. Once fish is almost cooked through had a heaping spoonful of Pico along with a generous pinch of Paul Prudhommes redfish magic (blackening mix). Once everything is warmed thru add a handful of pepper jack cheese. Once cheese is melted place in a grilled tortilla wrap and serve.

Make sure to serve with spicy sour cream and fresh guacomole!!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts