BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
52,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
THE KING OF POOTEY--FU ALIAS CHUNKING ASKED ME TO FISH WITH HIM FOR A LITTLE WHILE ABOUT 400 YARDS FROM THE DOCK IN FRONT OF SCHOONERS FEUL DOCK.I ACCEPTED AND PROMISED HIM A COFFEE(THAT WAS A LIE)WE WERE OUT THERE AN HOUR AND A QUARTER AND GOT 3 KEEPERS AND SIX THROWBACKS AND 14 BLUES OF WHICH WE KEPT ABOUT 5 OR 6 FOR THE SHARKERS.ONE I CAUGHT WAS THE BIGGEST I EVER CAUGHT THAT FAR FROM A INLET ABOUT 6 TO 7 LBS.ALL WERE 3 OR BETTER. FRED HOOKED WHAT WE THOUGHT WAS A BIG FLOUNDER BUT WAS A GIANT SEA ROBIN.THE BIGGEST I EVER SAW IN THE BACK AND SHOCKED HE WAS IN ABOUT 49 OR 50 DEGREE WATER.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Great report Biggest. I have a few hours Monday morning to give it a try.

[ 05-09-2005, 05:49 AM: Message edited by: High Wire ]

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
Way to go Jack..you're warming up for the Duke well! It should only get better in the back w/ a rise in water temps!

·
Registered
52,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
fished with rut-row and electrial bob had 10 to 12 nice size blues 3 skates 12 throwback flounder and kept 3.
in another boat bad of the finger and lady finger kept 6 nice keepers going 23,22,20,10,18 and one just on the money.also had a bunch of blues.a few caught in the back a bunch near the rio bridge and the rest in sterling creek.fish caught by the fingers were mostly minnies we caught on fresh bluefish and spearing.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Thanks again for the report. It led to a successful day (for me anyway)in the back bay. Final talley was 1 keeper fluke at 17.5", 14 tb fluke, 1 winter flounder and at least a dozen blues. They seemed to like spearing best but they easily rip off. Water temp was between 55 and 58 degrees.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Biggest..... Are you saying you caught a 7lber, or did FU catch the 7lber?????

baraby.... my guess is....

1. A wawa, nah, he won't spend $
2. The competor tackle shop up the street, nah FU would disown him.
3. Alright, I got it now... An Asian message house am I right???

·
Registered
52,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
my wawa and fred's.

arch--you are right about the spearing i wonder if it would toughin up with salt without loosing anything.might try.bluefish was good today also.was back turtle for an hour was some fish there but didn't like the wind and tide.

BRUCE----THE BIG BLUE WAS MINE THE BIG FLOUNDER WAS FREDDY'S.I BOUGHT HIM ANOTHER COFFEE SO HE BETTER NOT GET MADE AT ME.

[ 05-10-2005, 02:18 PM: Message edited by: BIGGESTJACK ]

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
I see you guys are on to my favorite bait. The only thing I've found that makes a difference in keeping spearing on the hook is the kind you buy. The native spearing are more silver and kinda transparent looking and usually come in a bag just folded over. These ones don't stay on the hook for shirt! The more gold colored spearing that come in a vacuum sealed bags stay on the hook much better. These are actually Canadian spearing caught up there and sold all around as bait. I've had people tell me the local spearing catch better, but I prefer the canadian ones, atleast in the D-Bay and the Ocean I don't seem to have a problem catching on them..be interesting to try the 2 different kind side to side in the back.

·
Registered
52,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
BRUCE---MY WIFE IS IN SPAIN SO IN A 3 DAY PERIOD I WAS MAINLY STATIONED IN AVALON SO MY TWO GIRLS COULD FEED ME BUT I WAS IN JIM'S, STERLING CAUSE CATHY IS MUCH PRETTIER THAN FRED.IN MORANS AND IN HODGE PODGE WITH MY SON IN LAW BEFORE WE WENT OUT AND GOT SKUNKED UP THERE SUNDAY.FOLLOW THE DONUTS.

CAPTG--CAN YOU SALT THEM UP?

BRUCE---IF CAPTG GETS HIS BOAT DONE FOR THE DUKE FOLLOW HIM IF NOT FOLLOW ME CAUSE I WAS TOLD WHERE THE BIG ONES HIDE BY MY GREAT UNCLE FESTER.

[ 05-10-2005, 12:47 PM: Message edited by: BIGGESTJACK ]

·
Registered
16,323 Posts
Jack, I've never salted them..I hook them thru the eyeballs, usually two per hook so if one gets stripped off you got another one!

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
CaptG,
"I prefer the canadian ones". Put out one heck of a slick (oils relieced) don't they? Hmmm..

BIGGEST, can't say as to salting them but fresh works most excellent. Might want to alter an "invisible minnow rig" to keep fresh sperring working for you. = nip off the small swivel that comes with it & replace with a small split ring then tie direct. The split double hook gets upgraded in size to handle the strain of larger fish. It's a beautiful thing, just shove it into the mouth & pops right out the butt for the hook to be looped on
Only difficulties found is that the stainless wire takes on bends from time to time (after landing a nice fluke) & requires straightening/replacement.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
How did Fred make out Monday? Will we have to wait for the show to air?

·
Registered
15,739 Posts
Originally posted by BIGGESTJACK:
BERN---I THOUGHT YOU HAD YOUR OWN WAWA IN THE CREST?
Sorry for trespassing. :D

No Wawa in the Crest, burnt down.
There is one in Lower though. ;)

·
Registered
52,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I TOLD THEM TO GIVE YOU A FULL PASS BERN.TAKE A DAY OFF WE WILL GET THE KING BILLIE AND FISH THE BACK ITS GOOD NOW.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Great report Biggest.I was out the same day and got a mess of blues in the back.I also saw a large shark with a big Rattle Trap hanging from his mouth with chocolate donuts hanging off of each of the treble hooks.What's the story with that Jack?

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
The camera man said the show was fine. It seemed like a hard day to me. Started out cool then just got windier and colder.

Finished with 18 throwbacks, six keepers and a bunch of blues. One good shot was with a bucktail. Had a hit but it took the strip of herring right off the hook. I was running the motor so I said that the flounder didn't feel the hook and it should be right where it hit the bucktail. Backed the boat up about ten feet and dropped the bucktail down again. Just when I said that this is where it should be it hit again. That time I got it. (16 incher)

On one drift they were hitting pretty good so I guaranteed that by the time I lifted or jigged my bait ten times I would have a hit. Had one on the seventh next was on the first and the third was on the fifth.

Had fun with two of my friends who where out fishing. I was snagged and hung up real good. Actually stopped the boat from drifting with ten pound Fireline. Just then my friends were passing by. I popped the motor in reverse so it held the boat still and had the rod bent in half like it was a big one. As they watched I would reel in then lift while the drag let out some line. I also kept the rod bouncing like a big flounder was shaking it's head. They sat there for a full minute while I faked them out. Then I said that this flounder was just too big and I cut the line. The looks on their faces was priceless.

Caught the fish on shiners (Canadian) with a single hook rig and bucktails with herring strips.

I love using our local shiners and found the best way to keep them was after I catch a bunch with my drop net I place them in a plastic bag and cover them with salt water then freeze. They thaw out and stay firm plus they look like they were just caught. I froze them without water and they were soft and mushy when they thawed out. In salt water is the way to go.

·
Registered
52,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Originally posted by wildwoodblockhead:
Great report Biggest.I was out the same day and got a mess of blues in the back.I also saw a large shark with a big Rattle Trap hanging from his mouth with chocolate donuts hanging off of each of the treble hooks.What's the story with that Jack?
wwbh--I GOT A CALL FROM THE SMITHSONIAN INSTITUTE IN DC--THEY WANT THE RIG SO THE OLD TV STAR CAN WISH FOR IT IN ONE HAND AND SH!T IN THE OTHER.THEY TRACED THE COFFEE CAN OUT OF HIS YARD THAT HELD HIS FIRST GRADE RECESS MONEY IN 1939 AT ST.JOAN OF ARC GRAMMAR SCHOOL.THIS MONEY WAS USED TO BUY THE RATTLETRAP AND TO GET INTO THE TROC.MY COUNTRY COMES FIRST.THE DONUTS WERE GOOD.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts