BASS BARN banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our own Frank Mahalic had another nice article in a series of good ones and there was one on making combination tapered leaders. Both articles were good. Keep seeing more fly articles in all the fishing magazines, due the the increasing popularity of fly fishing. Maybe some day we will become mainstream and they will once in awhile write a bait aricle. (don't think that will happen) Fish couldn't take that much thrashing of the water. :D

·
Registered
789 Posts
I'll second that response Ray. I really enjoyed Frank's articles and the simple leader formula is something that I will be putting to use later today. The idea of Fly Fishing taking over the magazine may not be that far fetched. Many moons ago I fished the Salmon River in upstate NY with my fly rod and people looked at me like I was from another planet. Although I haven't been up there for about 5 years, folks tell me that more than 50% of folks fishng now are using the whippy sticks.

·
Registered
7,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Logic, I enjoy reading all the fishing articles in all the magazines, even the ones on fish that I have never gone after. Sometimes you learn something that you can transfer over to some of the local fish. Many people complain that alot of the articles are the same, in all the fishing publications. That may be true, but there are always newcommers to the sport that want to know the A to Z's and sometimes for even experienced anglers, you read something that you had forgotten or pick up a new little trick that you might try. It is alway good to keep a couple of good tricks up your sleeve when the fish just don't seem to hitting anything. Do believe the fly fishing articles have a way to go before they start sounding alike.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I just finished reading the great article by Frank. It's been a while since I have picked up my fly rods or even tied a fly. Articles like this have motivated me to get back to the fly fishing and tying. I plan on going to the September meeting of the South Jersey Coastal Fly Anglers. It will be a pleasure to meet Frank and get some good info.

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Thanks much for the compliments.
I am really glad that you guys have enjoyed "the read". I try to keep my writing style "anything but ordinary". Over the years I have grown to hate the "cookie cutter" articals that tell you to go here and do this like that.
I try to share what will work in anybodys home waters. More of a "how to look at something" rather than just a simple "how to".

Fly fishing lends me a perspective that is like seeing fishing through a microscope. I enjoy the thrill of the hunt. I hope the passion come through in my writing.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Hey Frank,
do you just fly fish now or do you still use some of the other equipment I know you still have? Thanks....Jim

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
Hi Jim,
I used a spining rod earlier this past year. I also use trolling gear if we are playing that game....but I would say that I am close to 100% fly tackle. I do enjoy drifting for fluke, or chunking bass from time to time...but I hardly ever do. The experience of fly fishing is simply too great.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts