BASS BARN banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a hardcore fisherman and state representative, I must repond to a recent post where some of the messages assert that the whole striped bass issue was a ploy to make "politicians" look good "by saving the day", if you will. Although I am mildly irritated by the knee-jerk mantra of "all politians are crooks," I am more concerned about recreational fisherman having political clout commensurate with their numbers and economic importance. Having spent the last 6 months working on this new law, I can tell you that this was not a political ploy. The truth, however, is perhaps even more painful. That is, most legislators have as much interest in fishing as we have in joining the local knitting club or going to a craft fair with our wives. The Senate simply did not understand the importance of getting this bill passed in June. So my point is this: if you want to influence public policy, you better unite and organize. I believe Adam Bombs approach on the Barn was great and I believe the RFA has been a strong voice for fisherman. They get results, because they understand the system (like it or not). Conversely, if you throw rocks or call names, people just won't want you on their boat. Suppose I said to any Barner: "As a fisherman, you suck and your fishwell smells." It does work for you and it doesn't work for "politicians". So let's get better at flexing our political muscle.

Assemblyman Bob Smith

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Bob,
Funny thing, I just got back from a PA. RFA chapter meeting and we talked about how we can flex our political muscle some. There is no doubt we need to get more involved and be able to influence our representatives to let them know how important fishing is to NJ. My hope is we will be able to work together to get our message across to our government that we do make a difference. We do apppreciate all your work. Lets us not throw rocks but build blocks to influence public policy.

[ 09-16-2004, 11:21 PM: Message edited by: Captblock ]

·
Registered
783 Posts
And yet there are people that still have not joined the RFA or any other groups that complain about whats hapening but do nothing to prevent it. It's like those people that don't vote but have allot to say about the president etc...
Well my message is that if you don't vote or get involved then you have no right to compalin about what is hapening unless you, yourself do something to change it.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Bob,you are right on target. Throwing rocks never gets you anywhere, particularly in the political arena. There is a need to better educate our anglers about the process and you are doing more than your share. Thanks for all of your work and your ongoing support....Gene

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Bob:

That is a problem we face when using an interactive forum such as the Barn. People can come on here and express their opinion without having to face the other person. Those of us who have followed all your efforts on this cause, express our deep thank you's for all your work representing us. Again, thank you.

·
Registered
5,156 Posts
BOB---thank for all your efforts
The problem that I see is there are TOO many elected officials who have no idea what makes up the ecomony and how revenue is generated all they know in this State is how to TAX.
You don't have to be a fisherman to understand the ecomonic impact of Striped Bass fishing.
It is a little scary thinking there are so many in Trenton who don't understand

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Bob; allow me to add my thanks for all the work you have put foward for the fishing community.

I think what we need is Leadership,Someone with experience to point the Fisherman toward a unified Goal!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.