BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope the conditions allow you to get out & find some fish. Always look forward to your glowing reports. Tarpon are getting a little more serious down here. My son Sean & I were 1 for 4 the other day during a little slow down with the wind we had. They were moving slowly down a flat adjacent to a deeper channel. Top of the tide, light East wind, intermediate line with an older cockroach pattern. As they approached Sean made a good placement just in front & on the near side.Two came over & one took. Lot of action & this was the first for Sean this year & the first to the boat in over a week. Got a friend close to No Name Key who gets out every day & has been doing okay. Catch-em up.

·
Registered
7,892 Posts
On and off rain stopped late afternoon and decided to get a quick trip in. Fishing buddy Paul and I left the dock at 5:00 pm and headed to the Ocean to work the incoming tide. Water was dirty compared to the last two times that I fished, but not too bad. Water temp was 51.6 with light winds and small sea swell. Started off catching Atlantic Sea Herring in the dirtiest water right outside the breaking waves along the beach. We fished for about 3 hours using clousers on sinking line. We only caught sea herring and a kept some to salt down for fluke bait for my charters later in the season and were back at the dock by 8:00 pm.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Hey Ray and Ron. Been a long time. Hope you're getting into the fish. Maybe one day this year I'll get to wet the fly line in the salt. My arsenal of 2 through 10 wts have been sitting the shed for the past few years, unused and collecting dust. It pains me to no end. Thinking of getting my son into fly fishing. He's almost 7 and already asking me about it, since he's now an "expert" at casting his Snoopy rod. He would go nuts if he ever caught a striper (or even a snapper blue) on the fly rod... I would too, at this point :)

·
Registered
7,892 Posts
Good to hear from, It sure has been awhile. Good to hear you are doing well and your son is 7 now.

What a difference a day makes!

Left the dock at 4:30 pm this afternoon with a one person charter and headed out to the ocean. Found the water 51.1 degrees with light sea and wind with the tide just starting in. Charter and I had a great afternoon number wise. Between the two of us we got 33 small stripers (I mean small) 12 inches to 17 inches long but the action was fast. We also had 12 sea herring. We fished till 8:30 pm and called it a night. Everything was caught on chartreuse/white clousers on sinking lines. The action was great but was small. Better than catching nothing and all were released in good condition along with the sea herring. You would of though with all those fish there would be some decent ones around.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Way to go, Ray!

12" to 17" is big for a trout, or even a freshwater bass?

Sounds like fun with a fly rod? Thank God things have finally started.

·
Registered
7,892 Posts
Yea, I hope it isn't like last year. We started early with a lot of very small stripers and then after that we never saw any good amounts of larger fish like we use to. Luckly last year the weakies filled in the gap as there were more of them than stripers. Only time will tell.

·
Registered
7,892 Posts
Weather was a lot tougher than they predicted today. Was suppose to be 16mph dwindling down to 10 mph by late afternoon. Left the dock at 1:00 pm with father and son charter and the wind had to be blowing in the 20's and more of a southwest than north northwest direction that they predicted. Father was fly fishing and son was spin fishing. Tried to hug up next to the surf and found water very clean, 52 degrees and very choppy making it difficult to manuver with the electric motor. We stuck it out and it worked hard for the 8 stripers and 2 sea herring that they caught and it felt pretty cold with the strong winds.

Chartreuse/white clouser on sinking line worked for the father and a swimimg plug worked for the son.
The stripers were all small 15 1/2 to 18 inches long. Conditions finally started improving the last hour and the wind started getting much lighter as we hit the dock at 5:00pm.

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice going Ray. Keep it up.

·
Registered
7,892 Posts
Tuesday afternoon. No fly fishing but did get out with a husband and wife spin charter and it was more small fish. Caught 2 small stripers 17 1/2 inches and 8 sea herring. Should of caught a few more fish but casting was a bit difficult for them as they did not have a lot of fishing experience. Fished the ocean. Water was 52 degrees nice and clean. (you could seed down 8 to 10 feet) and light winds on the out going tide. Fish were caught on gulp mullet on a jig head. Did try a couple of spots in the back with 54 to 56 degree water and no hits or signs of life.

·
Registered
7,892 Posts
Yea, Hope the fluke are decent this year. Few friends have been out scounting around pre-season and finding it very slow compared to normal, but still have a while before the seaon opens.

Right now the headboats are sitting at the dock. Tog, seabass and fluke are closed and they have nothing to fish for.

·
Registered
7,892 Posts
Got out this morning in heavy fog on a personal trip with fishing buddy to fish the out going tide. Left the dock at 6:30 am ready for a fun fly fishing morning, hoping we might get lucky and even find some weakfish. Heavy fog, Ocean was 54.6 and water was nice and clean with little to no wind, couldn't of asked for better conditions. Very frustrating morning neither of us got a single hit. We were both using clousers on sinking line. Could not believe with such nice conditions that it was that dead. We saw no bait fish or bird play and there were no other boats out fishing. Even tried 4 prime spots in the back bay before heading back to the dock and they were equally dead.

·
Registered
7,892 Posts
Talked to Ken Kelly (Irish Fly). He was out this morning and found the blues and small weakies had moved in with the small stripers and sea herring. He said the blues were nice size and everything else was small. Hearing the news, I worked around the house today and planned to go fishing with Peter at 5:00 pm. Buy then the weekend crowd would be gone and we could fish the outgoing tide untill dark. We had perfect conditions, light winds and seas and it was almost hot out on the water. We had a nice pick of fish for 2 1/2 hours catching sea herring, small stripers a couple of nice blue fish to 19 inches and one small weakfish. I kept the two blues for dinner and got one decent striper to make my day. Both of us were using chartreuse/white clousers on sinking line. Fast, slow and medium strips all caught fish.

Around 7:30 the wind shifted off the ocean and it started to cool down. We with it being such a warm day there had to be some action in the back bay. We shot to the back and worked 6 prime locations with warm water come out of creeks or off sod banks. Warmest we found was 65.6 degrees. Water looked great, prime tide, prime time, just no signs of any baitfish or fish. Have yet to get any fish out of the back bay this year.

·
Registered
7,892 Posts
Not a fly report but did get out fishing. After canceling 4 charters this week due to wind I had to give up my sailboat racing down in the Chesapeake and make up one of my charters. Saturday evening left the dock at 4:30 pm, with two spin anglers to fish the start of the incoming tide. Found the water in the ocean 61.2. Fishing was slower than I expected and we would pick a fish here and there. Striper, sea herring, fluke, weakfish, and blues. Had to work hard for every fish, but did get one nice weakfish to make the night and we had a beautiful sunset to end the night. Did bring fly rods as the one angler was a trout fisherman and said he would like to try the fly if we got into heavier action. Couldn't get him to try even though I thought the fly would be more effective at catching. Next time he said he would give it a try.

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Nice to see a decent weakfish. Glad you caught some fish. We had our "Poontangle" weekend down here. Great times with some varied friends but blown out week-end. One fished the Bahia Hondo bridge & wished he didn't. Reposrt of a worm hatch Friday P.M. but no catching..
Wife Ardis with a transported John Rico from N.J.

·
Registered
7,892 Posts
Thanks Josh, that was the biggest weakfish that he ever caught. I have yet to catch a fish in the back bay. Everytime I have tried it has been dead. Will probably give it a shot this week. It can't stay dead forever???? Can it?

I worked in the yard and house today and after dinner I was a bit antsy to do something fun before the sun set. Was thinking about freshwater, sailing rc sailboat or try and get a nice weakie for myself on the fly. We had a fairly strong WNW wind all day but when I checked the weather they were calling for it to die down a little around dusk.

Last minute I had no time to call anyone to go with me so I decided to do a solo trip. Left the dock at 6:30 pm to fish the the incoming tide. Ocean water was 57.2. Fished chartreuse/white clouser on sinking line and had a great two hour fishing trip, fishing till 8:30 pm. It was a 2 2 2 2 night. 2 weakfish to 25 inches, 2 stripers to 18 inches, two sea herring and 2 nice eating size blues that I took home for dinner.

Release both of the weakfish to do my part to bring back the stocks to a higher level. Here is the one that made my day and my biggest of the year so far.

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Johnny got this one out-going tide, behind O.C. before & after daybreak. 1 of 3.
Used the old method.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts