BASS BARN banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys.... Have any of you checked fishinf rods in a carrier on a plane... I was just wondering if its worth it ... Might be more ofa pain in the *** than its worth.. The trip is to costa rica.
Thanks for the input...

·
Registered
19,261 Posts
My flyrods never leave my side when I travel, but sometimes on real fishing trips where I have to have my own gear and I don't want to take the chance of it getting lost (and ruining my trip) I will ship it FedEx or UPS a week ahead of time to the outfitter or resort and confirm it has arrived before I leave.

I have just lost so much luggage over the years only to have it returned to me by the airline 4 or 5 days into the vacation that it is just not worth the risk... and if you are going someplace kinda remote, a bozo move by someone else in luggage handling can ruin your trip.....

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
I flew AC to Tampa and the airline wanted $150 for my rod tube. I shipped it UPS for $28 each way. Be sure to check with your airline well in advance.
Thinking about this, I believe it was Spirit Airlines that wanted $150 each way, AC to Tampa.

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
In the last year or so a lot of airline policies have changed. I flew down to FL for YEARS with my 8 ft rod tube and now they have all kinds of length limits. Last one I recall was no longer than 5ft long. I just use the UPS store to ship my stuff down ahead of me and send it back the day before I leave. The air line had a habit of breaking half my rods on the way back too which was a pain but fortunately they were always covered under the lifetime warranty of GLoomis. See if you can ship to either the shipping companies office (if it's close enough) or to the place where you're going to be staying. You can't beat having your own equipment on a trip.

·
Registered
6,469 Posts
I just went down to FL and the length limit was 5'-0". Anything over 5'-0" was like a $125 baggage fee. I bought a bargain rod down there. Problem being that I only fish 1 pieces.

Check out the baggage fee if you dont have any two pieces, multiply it by two for the round trip and see what you are looking at. You have three options if you dont have a two piece:

1) Pay the baggage fee each way
2) Spend the baggage fee on a two piece or travel rod that you can carry on
3) Buy a rod down there and leave it with a local who needs it or see if the place you purchase it will ship it back home for you after the vacation.

Notice I did not put a fourth option up which would have been to just bag fishing and enjoy your vacation, but I figure that is not possible.

The reels are easy to travel with, just gotta worry about the stick

RyanF

·
Registered
246 Posts
Just got back from key largo before x-mas. SOUTHWEST does not charge, and has never charged us in last 10 years. Always tube fly 7 rods, never a problem. Slide the guy a $ 20.00, cooler with wheels fly free too. Make sure u use TSA locks (any dept store) will say TSA tight on em.

·
Registered
62,423 Posts
If you find yourself facing a 5'0" max length, stick them in a tube and then put the tube in a ski bag. ;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
I shipped 4 rods back from FL last year after being told that they would be charged as oversized luggage. They were destroyed in shipping. They were in a 4" x 7'4" PVC tube, wrapped in bubble wrap with glued on ends and a threaded cap. The tube beat me home but it was crushed, it looked like it had been run over. Insurance covered it after some hassle, but I'd have rather had the rods to use.
From now on I'll just buy cheap rods and abandon them where I go and not worry about them.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Check restrictions on fishing line

I've seen posts on Marlin Magzine's forums about guys going to Central America having to strip their line off their reels in the airport if they take tackle onboard as carry-on...apparently it's not a problem if you put the spooled reels or spools of line in your checked luggage...check that out with your airline and/or TSA or Customs...before you go because it sounds like a royal pain in the @ss if you have to deal with this in front of TSA or Customs staff...Also, make sure your captain down there is cool with you bringing your gear...sometimes they get a little bent when guys show up with their own gear - like their's isn't good enough for gringos

·
Registered
11,802 Posts
I usually bring a two piece as a carry on just rubber banded together. Reels checked in the luggage. I had bad experiences with tubes getting lost.

If I'm not doing any serious fishing i will just pick up a $20 rod (only) at walmart when I get where I'm going. Only had a problem once coming home from out of the country and I just gave it to a kid getting off a plane.

Southwest- never a problem.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.