BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mostly fish alone.....22 ft walkaround well equipped...fish from the bay to 10 or more miles out. Its the old story if no one is around stay home or fish by yourself. What are the pros & cons of fishing alone ?

·
Registered
11,937 Posts
ONly you will eat your lunch.
You can lie and there's no other witness.
You have the boat to yourself.
You pick the radio station.
Being alone is a good way to clear the cobwebs in the brain. Ponder things like, "Why am I fishing alone"?
You can pretend you're 'The Old Man and the Sea'.
When you want to go it's nice to be able to be independent enough to jump in and go. Some people won't do anything without company.

The reverse of the above are reasons to go with someone.

·
Registered
52,618 Posts
ALONE IN AN INLET AND THE OCEAN CAN BE DANGEROUS IF YOU FALL OUT WHICH IS FAR FROM IMPOSSIBLE.IN THE BACH YOU FALL OUT AND SWIM TO A SOD BANK AND WHERE THE BOATS GO IS MORE DEFINED.EACH YEAR WE HEAR ABOUT A BOAT FOUND WITH NOBODY IN IT.

·
Registered
772 Posts
When I was a kid I was heading offshore and caught caught in Hereford as the fog literally rolled in. At that time the only way out was marked by bouys set by the Captain Cramer head boat, and the rest was pretty treacherous. I had to throw an anchor, and keep an eye out for trouble at the same time. It was fairly stessful. On the other hand, inlets can be very very dangerous, and a bad hit from a wave has injured many a fisherman. I like to know someone will be able to take the wheel if I have something happen to me. When I was around 8 years old my grandfather, father and a family friend headed offshore in a 24 ft Bertram. They hit a rogue wave and ended up with two people down with broken legs, cuts from shattered glass, and just a general butt whooped feeling. The third person (my dad) was able to get them taken care of and bring them all home safely.

My grandfather was laid up for quite a while as his leg healed, and the only way they were able to get back in without assistance was because they were fortunate enough that my dad didn't go overboard. So, all this babbling leads me to one conclusion...for safety's sake, the more people onboard that can assume control of an emergency situation the better. If you are going alone, be cognizant of your surroundings, and have back-up plans in mind.

·
Premium Member
13,508 Posts
Safety is certainly a concern, but I fish alone about half the time going out of Barnegat Inlet. I wear my inflatable vest and use the kill switch. Having said that, there's nothing better to me: solitude, no tangled lines, no questioning whether this is a good spot or not, no sea sickness to deal with, no one asking when are we going in, etc.: just some quality time on the water away from the fleet. The one downside is that it can be hard to net the doormats by yourself.

·
Registered
12,888 Posts
I fish by myself quite abit-leave when I want,fish where I want, and come home when I want. Also take precautions with kill switch lanyard and life vest(especially in fall,inclement weather). Agree with BLM about netting- was solo stiper chunkin with tide and wind moving well and difficult to net the fish. Also complaints if fish aren't cooperating and no waiting at the dock for the crew.

Downside noone to commiserate with when fishing slow,cut bait,share expenses,se lines(if Trollin)laughs etc.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Take a cell phone so you can immediately report the fish your catching and the ones your family/friends missed by bagging out! As far as safety, it is always a concern everytime you leave the slip, and obviously a bit more so when going it alone. I have done it many times and was only worried once when striper fishing the lump in 3-4 footers on a weekday about 5 years ago. While fishing, it really blew up and I started to take them right over the gunnel and they were smacking/rotating the boat good enough for me to call it quits. Not only was I alone, but there was noboby else out there if I went for a swim. That was probably pushing the envelope. But doing it in the back bay I believe is a whole different story and quite common. Once again, good safety practices/habits and commonsense must prevail. Wheres Capt. John on this one?

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
Fish alone sometimes day or night. The only problem I have is pulling the anchor. I do tie a rope around my waist and to the boat when I go up front to pull anchor up. If i was to fall over there would be no way to swim back to her in a tide..... and if its nov/dec.....forget it. I like going by myself sometimes.... I get all the rod holders to myself. Of course I have to pay for 100% of the bait/gas. It also seems that the best fishing always happens when your alone and no one believes you cause there's no witnesses.

The biggest concern fishing alone is safety.

Max(WETDREAM)

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Anchoreed or drifitng is one thing, but trolling is a whole other ballgame. I would get a boat with a throttle in the stern.

·
Registered
20,270 Posts
Fish more by myself than with people, and love every second of it... I always wear an inflatable when alone, always rig all rods before leaving, always take cellphone, backup handheld submersib le vhf, and leave a basic float plan at home with my wife.... she, on the other hand, sits at home with a glass of red wine in one hand and a copy of my insurance policy in the other... for her, it is kind of a win-win situation... fresh fish, or fresh cash! :D

·
Registered
723 Posts
2 fishes id you ever want to go out with someone else keep me in mind dont have a boat so i try to hop on anyone elses.

·
Registered
8,050 Posts
I do alot of my personal fishing alone. Have a flats boat that is very easy to get back in if I fall out. Usually have electric motor on the front with a rist controlled auto pilot. I always wear a inflatible vest with a light on it, in case I can't get back in the boat. I take a cell phone and have vhf radio and color plotter incase of fog. I am as prepares as I can be. Always tell my wife should anything ever happen, not to worry I died happy. I enjoy fishing with friends but if none available I can enjoy fishing just as much by myself. I try to think twice as safe when fishing at night. I stay more centered in the boat and make slower more deliberate moves.
I know how I would get back in my boat if I fell out. If you go out in a bigger boat you shoud have a rope ladder hanging off the side or remember you can use the cavatation plate of the outboard as a step up. This is assuming it isn't running. I love being out and appreciate every moment. You must feel comfortable with it and have confidence in yourself especially at night. If you don't feel relaxed and enjoy it, don't do it.

·
Registered
7,292 Posts
I fish at night alone all the time. # million candlelight, cell phone, 2 tanks of gas fish-depth finder. It's great, and I think pretty safe. The only thing that brings anxiety is being around the surf/inlet and not seeing a swell that could tip me. I anchor all the time, have a much larger anchor than required for my boat and Highly recommend that.

I do not wear an inflatable and fish the back and inlet in a skiff, and sometimes the surf. Maybe I should start.

I

·
Registered
5,156 Posts
Fish alone all the time because I don't have many friends willing to get up at 3am.I enjoy the 2 hours before sunrise and a good sunrise.
searchlight, radio, cell phone,depthfinder,compass
not many tangled lines when fishing alone and you use less bait

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.